2021 DC Replacement Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
It's even more sick that they are state employees making this kind of bank. I question why I continue to watch..
I'd say D1 football teams are one of very few "state" organizations that turn a profit - i.e., fund the school's entire athletic program. And that's not including the increases in enrollment that seem to result from athletic success. Are coaches "worth" what they're paid? Maybe, maybe not, but the cost of finding out could be substantial.

ArizonaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 25, 2011
What I understood is the following. With so many NFL coaching vacancies to be filled, and therefore many NFL assistant jobs likely changing, he’d prefer those coaching vacancies to shake out before he makes a move. He believes with all the new issues and difficulties in college coaching because of NIL and the portal, many college coaches will be looking to move to the NFL. Thus by waiting he reduces the chances that his choice for a DC will get plucked to fill an NFL position or coordinator job.

What I didn’t get much of a sense of was he was actually targeting or even looking at the NFL for a defensive play caller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if this is his strategy he is either brilliant or a dumb ass. I haven’t noticed many other schools waiting to find replacements. Gundy definitely approaches this differently than the majority of coaches. I don’t know if it is right or wrong, but it is different.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I don’t think anyone would call me a sunshine pusher but I think the ppl fretting over this are being a bit dramatic. There are still so many great coaches out there.

I also think the Joe Bob rumors don’t really make sense. You still can only have 10 coaches and to be frank Larry Johnson is a better coach than Joe Bob. I guess they could reorganize and make Johnson DEnds only and Joe Bob DTs, but I haven’t seen news of anyone but Coombs fired there (I could be wrong though). If Knowles did fire Larry Johnson for Joe Bob, cheez-itz please hire that guy instead.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
What I understood is the following. With so many NFL coaching vacancies to be filled, and therefore many NFL assistant jobs likely changing, he’d prefer those coaching vacancies to shake out before he makes a move. He believes with all the new issues and difficulties in college coaching because of NIL and the portal, many college coaches will be looking to move to the NFL. Thus by waiting he reduces the chances that his choice for a DC will get plucked to fill an NFL position or coordinator job.

What I didn’t get much of a sense of was he was actually targeting or even looking at the NFL for a defensive play caller.

If there are vacancies in the NFL then someone vacated those positions. Maybe he wants to see which of those guys decide to leave the NFL and return to college coaching. DC would be an upgrade for some of those coaches, re: see Hobby above.
Maybe, but I didn’t get the sense he’s looking to the NFL. RA said this morning that while he won’t rule it out, he also doesn’t think Gundy is targeting the NFL.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Kirby Smart

“It worries me, I’ll be real honest honest with you, where the game of college football is going,” Smart told Rece Davis. “First concern I have: the best leaders and the best men to run it and be organized with it are leaving. Because you said relentless, the best coaches are going to the NFL because they get more time with their families.

“They want no part of NIL, portal, constant recruiting. And you say, ‘Well, why not?’ Go live it and see how long you wanna do it. It’s not what it used to be and I see coaches left and right, you know a lot of them, that have stepped out of this game that are saying, ‘I’m done.’ Good men, great leaders, they don’t want to be a part of it. That concerns me for the future of it. Where’s it going?”

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/kirby-smart-has-brutally-honest-admission-on-college-football

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I like this guy. He pretty much fits the exact mold of Charlie Strong, who would be my hire, but Mason would likely remain in Stillwater longer. Strong would basically be like Holgorsen (and I think that's fine, and obviously Nick Sabin wins big with short-term assistants).

Highly encouraged that Gundy is looking to make it rain $$$. For his staff, and not just himself, finally.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Remember the JBC to Ohio State tweet? Just because there’s one report doesn’t mean there’s really any truth to it

I’ll be cautiously optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mar 31, 2011
Remember the JBC to Ohio State tweet? Just because there’s one report doesn’t mean there’s really any truth to it

To be fair, Bruce Feldman gets a certain amount of credibility that a random Ohio State fan on Twitter doesn't get.

I think Derrick Mason would be a great hire. Coming from the SEC, former SEC head coach for five or six years, former NFL position coach, had a great defense at Stanford, he has a great resume.

I'm sure it happens on occasion, but it's not every day a B12 school gets a lateral move guy from the SEC.

I also hope Michael Hunter continues to stick around.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

https://twitter.com/ByEliLederman/status/1484022886386089984?t=2RNEyaoquXXmndNUY5X_vw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Don’t see Mason. Currently an SEC DC already making $1.5mm? I suspect this is a leverage point for more money. But, maybe he’s not about money and wants a different work environment.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Don’t see Mason. Currently an SEC DC already making $1.5mm? I suspect this is a leverage point for more money. But, maybe he’s not about money and wants a different work environment.

Rumor is he and Harsin have some issues and Harsin is also seen as a possible sinking ship. He could just be trying to leave a bad situation.

I don't see how OSU could afford to beat $1.5 million though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.