2021 DC Replacement Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Instead of trying to identify a candidate, I’ll try to identify what kind of candidate.

Gundy’s must haves:
-Knowles system, approach or style. However it’s described, it must be aggressive.
-no short-term coaches that will be looking to immediately move on or move up.
- knows OSUs recruiting landscape

Sounds more like a promotion from within. Don’t know if the right guy is already here or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
How about Joe Rossi at Minnesota? He's only making 650k base with a 125k buyout and they are right after us in points per game given up.
Or Spencer Danielson at Boise State. He's getting 280k base and they are ranked 12 in points per game. Up to that point I think everyone else is now at a big time school. I think we could buy away either if thise two guys. But I dont know the schemes they run and how they'd fit with the players but they are both young guys with DC experience.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Instead of trying to identify a candidate, I’ll try to identify what kind of candidate.

Gundy’s must haves:
-Knowles system, approach or style. However it’s described, it must be aggressive.
-no short-term coaches that will be looking to immediately move on or move up.
- knows OSUs recruiting landscape

Sounds more like a promotion from within. Don’t know if the right guy is already here or not.
Coach Knowles may have been the very best hire that Coach Gundy has ever made. He brought his own system and he had never recruited this region before in his life. I don't want to completely reinvent the wheel and hire someone that doesn't fit our personnel, but I think it would be a mistake to limit our search to the criteria you listed above.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
Coach Knowles may have been the very best hire that Coach Gundy has ever made. He brought his own system and he had never recruited this region before in his life. I don't want to completely reinvent the wheel and hire someone that doesn't fit our personnel, but I think it would be a mistake to limit our search to the criteria you listed above.
So there were a lot of reports that Weeden was teaching Monken the offense after Holgerson left, that we kept the scheme and brought someone in to essentially run what was already here. It would be awesome if we could replicate that. We have a LOT of guys with a lot if experience I'm this scheme. Hope we can find someone that is a fast thinker and is willing to at least use what we've been doing and the mindset we've put in place as a basis moving forward. It's probably a pipe dream though.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
So there were a lot of reports that Weeden was teaching Monken the offense after Holgerson left, that we kept the scheme and brought someone in to essentially run what was already here. It would be awesome if we could replicate that. We have a LOT of guys with a lot if experience I'm this scheme. Hope we can find someone that is a fast thinker and is willing to at least use what we've been doing and the mindset we've put in place as a basis moving forward. It's probably a pipe dream though.
If MRod doesn't go pro does he want a GA spot??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
items 1 and 2 are musts. I'll give item 3 may not be a must.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
Clearly no one remembers when every team in the Big 12 was going in dry on Manny Diaz's defense the year he was at Texas. He is not that good!

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
items 1 and 2 are musts. I'll give item 3 may not be a must.
I agree that #1 is a must. Coach Knowles has built something special here, and we need to hire someone that will continue it. It doesn't have to be the exact same system and playbook, but he needs to compliment what's already been built.

Coach Gundy may think that #2 is a must, but I disagree with that take. We had the most successful season of his career when we were hiring mercenary coordinators. I would like to see us do it again. The very best programs in the country do the exact same thing. It seems like Saban is replacing coordinators every year.

Coach Gundy did an excellent job the last time he hired a DC. Hopefully history will repeat itself. This job is much more attractive today than a few years ago when Coach Knowles took over. Hopefully we'll be able to bend the ear of some top flight candidates.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
The more I think about Gary Patterson, the more I get excited about the possibility.
1. He's proven himself to be an excellent defensive mind.
2. He runs a 4-2-5 system that would fit our personnel.
3. He has recruiting ties throughout this region and the state of Texas.
4. He has intimate knowledge of our league.
5. He's good friends with Coach Gundy.
6. There are reports that he wants to stay in coaching.

It feels like a huge longshot, but I would love to see it happen.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Have to agree usually he hires off the wall coordinators that don't work out. Hoping for a HR hire this time.
Don't work out? He has a top ten winning percentage in division 1 football over the last 12 seasons. Something is working.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
You get a lot of your information for OP don't you?