2021 DC Replacement Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
In the interview, Gundy is wanting to have a DC who will stick it out and not jump when offered a higher paying job. Who is in the NFL that is still playing in the playoffs that he may have interest in hiring?
This is such a loser mentality and one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.
What Gundy actually said was he’s waiting on the NFL vacancies to become more settled before he makes a move. But waiting on the vacancies means he’s also waiting on more teams to be eliminated in the playoffs so HC vacancies and associated assistant coaches that will follow can be filled. There’s no sense in chasing candidates that are still potentially in play for an nfl job.

Nothing wrong with that thought pattern and approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
The more I think about it, the more I think he already has his guy and is waiting for the season to be over.

Although now that I type that, Gundy has said he doesn't like to go after his while they're still in season.

Who knows. At least history tells us there's a really good chance he's going to hit a home run with the hire.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The more I think about it, the more I think he already has his guy and is waiting for the season to be over.

Although now that I type that, Gundy has said he doesn't like to go after his while they're still in season.

Who knows. At least history tells us there's a really good chance he's going to hit a home run with the hire.
History really tells you that? Aside from Knowles, which other "home run" DCs have we had at OSU in the last 20 years? If you wanna expand that to OC, then go ahead. How many total coordinator hires has he had, and how many where home runs?

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Todd Graham just resigned at Hawaii and his salary was only $800,000. He is 56 and most coaching jobs are already taken. Hawaii indicated they will not honor a payout so Graham most likely would take a DC job for $500,000 or less. He has coached defense his whole career and was very successful at Tulsa.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Todd Graham just resigned at Hawaii and his salary was only $800,000. He is 56 and most coaching jobs are already taken. Hawaii indicated they will not honor a payout so Graham most likely would take a DC job for $500,000 or less. He has coached defense his whole career and was very successful at Tulsa.
He’s awful. Hope we don’t touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
History really tells you that? Aside from Knowles, which other "home run" DCs have we had at OSU in the last 20 years? If you wanna expand that to OC, then go ahead. How many total coordinator hires has he had, and how many where home runs?
I started to take umbrage on the idea that we have not had great DC's in our past - then I realized I was thinking of quite a bit more than 20 years back. When I was a student at OSU in the 70's we were known for defense: Bum Phillips and Jim Stanley were two excellent DC's. in that era. We used to say we could hold any team, even the best, to under 25 points - and still lose. Our problem then was consistent offense. Very few years have we been good on both sides of the ball in the same season.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC

Hawaii was supportive and going to retain him but some players claimed he was verbally abusive. Hawaii now will have trouble finding a replacement now given most good candidates have already accepted jobs.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Hawaii was supportive and going to retain him but some players claimed he was verbally abusive. Hawaii now will have trouble finding a replacement now given most good candidates have already accepted jobs.
Hawaii was not competing with the Oregon’s of the world for candidates. There are plenty of good candidates available in the range they’ll be looking for.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Hawaii was not competing with the Oregon’s of the world for candidates. There are plenty of good candidates available in the range they’ll be looking for.

Yes, there are literally hundreds of coordinators and thousands of assistant coaches and analysts that are theoretical candidates.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
If I had to bet on what Gundy is doing, here it is.

First, he isn't interested in a DC that has his own system. Gundy will want to continue Knowles system. There's plenty of experience both on the sidelines and on the field with Knowles system. So there's no trepidation for the team and coaches learning a new system.
Second, as Gundy stated, he's looking for a play caller. Apparently the experience and aptitude in calling plays is what's missing on the current staff.
So, the task is not finding the name DC with a history of success, it's finding a successful/experienced play caller (maybe even an offensive play caller) willing to embrace Knowles system.
I find it unlikely the DC hire will be a splash because splashy DCs will want to run their own system. Instead I think the hire will be underwhelming from a DC accomplishment standpoint, but intriguing as a continuation of what Knowles (and the rest of the defensive staff) built.
All of the above considered may be why Gundy is in no hurry and why it may take time to find the right guy

Jan 14, 2006
I won't argue the definition of home run with you again although it was entertaining last time. And I know you won't be satisfied with anything anyway, but here you go, Gundys prior DC hires.

Vance Bedford- cockroaches aside, young coach, in over his head. Went on to have success later and became DC at Texas. Not a bad hire, just too soon.

Tim Beckman- good coach. Went on to be a HC. Good hire.

Bill Young- older coach with long history of success. DC during 2011 season. Bad yards stats, amazing at causing turnovers. Good hire.

Glen Spencer- promoted from within. Amazing person. 2013 D was outstanding. Eventually couldn't hang with Big 12 Os. Went on to be a HC. Good hire.

Jim Knowles- experienced DC. Initially overwhelmed by Big 12 Os. Made adjustments and, along with experienced LBS and Safeties got better every year. Great hire.

Nitpick it all you want but Gundy hires good coaches and he's getting better at hiring defensive coaches. Have at it.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I think he will bring in an NFL coach still in the playoffs. Mike McCarthy may be fired tomorrow and Kellen Moore then offered the HC job. Probably new defensive coordinator and defense staff will be hired as Dallas had a bad Defense.

To keep the defense strong moving forward to get to the playoffs a home run is needed. We should be able to afford or pay the new DC what they offered Knowles to stay 1.7 million.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I think he will bring in an NFL coach still in the playoffs. Mike McCarthy may be fired tomorrow and Kellen Moore then offered the HC job. Probably new defensive coordinator and defense staff will be hired.

To keep the defense strong moving forward to get to the playoffs a home run is needed. We should be able to afford or pay the new DC what they offered Knowles to stay 1.7 million.
SMH

Sep 29, 2006
If I had to bet on what Gundy is doing, here it is.

First, he isn't interested in a DC that has his own system. Gundy will want to continue Knowles system. There's plenty of experience both on the sidelines and on the field with Knowles system. So there's no trepidation for the team and coaches learning a new system.
Second, as Gundy stated, he's looking for a play caller. Apparently the experience and aptitude in calling plays is what's missing on the current staff.
So, the task is not finding the name DC with a history of success, it's finding a successful/experienced play caller (maybe even an offensive play caller) willing to embrace Knowles system.
I find it unlikely the DC hire will be a splash because splashy DCs will want to run their own system. Instead I think the hire will be underwhelming from a DC accomplishment standpoint, but intriguing as a continuation of what Knowles (and the rest of the defensive staff) built.
All of the above considered may be why Gundy is in no hurry and why it may take time to find the right guy

I would agree with this, if I’m Gundy and I saw the performance of the defense in the second half of the bowl game, that is my worst case. So time is on his side to find the right guy to call defense plays. Patience a coach will be hired by spring practice and all the position coaches are in place to keep teaching Knowles scheme.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
No effing way this guy comes to OSU. He's an absolute terrible person.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.