2020 Running backs

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

3putt

Wrangler
Oct 23, 2003
Edmond.
Assuming Chuba leaves, who will be the lead running back this year? Haven't heard much about freshman Deondrick Glass lately. He was a four star recruited by most of the top schools including Alabama, Ohio State, uo, etc. I know he played some early but fumbled and I don't remember him playing much if at all after that.

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
Assuming Chuba leaves, who will be the lead running back this year? Haven't heard much about freshman Deondrick Glass lately. He was a four star recruited by most of the top schools including Alabama, Ohio State, uo, etc. I know he played some early but fumbled and I don't remember him playing much if at all after that.
I thought he showed up to campus out of shape. You certainly hope he can contribute next year because they overworked Chuba this year. And if Chuba leaves, I'd imagine they hit the transfer portal pretty hard because it's pretty bleak behind him. Dezmon Jackson was the JUCO guy we brought in last year, and he redshirted this season.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Still holding out hope Chuba returns...with the recent upgrades and return of Wallace, I think it's more likely he will return than not...Could be wrong and it depends on him and his family...but I bet it's 50/50 right now.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2015
Texas
Still holding out hope Chubba returns...with the recent upgrades and return of Wallace, I think it's more likely he will return than not...Could be wrong and it depends on him and his family...but I bet it's 50/50 right now.
I'd obviously be excited for Chuba to come back as a fan, but for his sake, it's probably better to go to the NFL now.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'd obviously be excited for Chuba to come back as a fan, but for his sake, it's probably better to go to the NFL now.
Money does NOT buy happiness nor contentment. The pro game saps the life out of more young men than it fixes....PLUS there is no reason whatsoever a young man can't stay and go the following year with the types of insurance policies that can be purchased these days by institutions. IMHO, a redshirt sophomore needs another year...plus I want a championship and I honestly think that would bring one. IF these kids would talk to pros before making their decisions I bet most would come back for another year of college.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
By the votes (other than Big12OPoY), Chuba isn’t as highly valued by others as he is in Stillwater.

Another year when starting as a known quantity..... his stock will soar

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
Money does NOT buy happiness nor contentment. The pro game saps the life out of more young men than it fixes....PLUS there is no reason whatsoever a young man can't stay and go the following year with the types of insurance policies that can be purchased these days by institutions. IMHO, a redshirt sophomore needs another year...plus I want a championship and I honestly think that would bring one. IF these kids would talk to pros before making their decisions I bet most would come back for another year of college.
Most of these kids do receive feedback from the NFL before they decide to stay or leave. There's just a lot more downside to staying another year; he could get injured, could have a down year, could show more tape of him not developing his blocking, etc. Not to mention, there's only so many carries in those legs for RBs.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Most of these kids do receive feedback from the NFL before they decide to stay or leave. There's just a lot more downside to staying another year; he could get injured, could have a down year, could show more tape of him not developing his blocking, etc. Not to mention, there's only so many carries in those legs for RBs.
I disagree that the downside outweighs the upside. We are going to be able to protect him even better and with Wallace back and Sanders in his second year he's not going to be ridden as much. He comes back and we can EXPECT to be in the Big 12 Championship at the very least...especially with the coaches that we are retaining and the transfers that are flooding in. Something is happening that hasn't happened in a long time and Chuba should be a key part of it. Clearly, it's still up to him, but I think he benefits more than he risk by staying.

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
I disagree that the downside outweighs the upside. We are going to be able to protect him even better and with Wallace back and Sanders in his second year he's not going to be ridden as much. He comes back and we can EXPECT to be in the Big 12 Championship at the very least...especially with the coaches that we are retaining and the transfers that are flooding in. Something is happening that hasn't happened in a long time and Chuba should be a key part of it. Clearly, it's still up to him, but I think he benefits more than he risk by staying.
How does playing in a Big 12 championship benefit him? It's not like he needs more exposure; NFL front offices are certainly aware of a Big 12 player who rushed for as many yards as he did.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
This could have been said in August of this past season. Sanders will take some of Chubas carries plus we have an all-American receiver to relieve some of the stress off Chuba. Unfortunately both got injured and Chuba was our only threat aside from Stoner for a few games. Chuba if you are guaranteed millions take them young man.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How does playing in a Big 12 championship benefit him? It's not like he needs more exposure; NFL front offices are certainly aware of a Big 12 player who rushed for as many yards as he did.
It benefits him by the fact that it's fun to win and be part of a championship team. When he talks to other players in the nfl he will find that many miss their college teams and that those times cannot be replaced by money. It's hard to explain that to someone that may think money will fix everything in their lives, but people who have it know it is nice, but it doesn't fix everything and creates some new issues that don't exist without it.

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
It benefits him by the fact that it's fun to win and be part of a championship team. When he talks to other players in the nfl he will find that many miss their college teams and that those times cannot be replaced by money. It's hard to explain that to someone that may think money will fix everything in their lives, but people who have it know it is nice, but it doesn't fix everything and creates some new issues that don't exist without it.
You do realize you can win and be part of a championship team in the NFL, yes?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You do realize you can win and be part of a championship team in the NFL, yes?
Sure, it just seems, more often than not, they have the types of season Justin Hill had and others at the position. It's a whole other animal and I think more experience would do him well and perhaps prepare him for real stardom in the nfl. He seems to be durable and strong. I think those are key to kids being around a long time, but another year with Glass in his growth years would hopefully ensure that.

Btw, 007 Poke thinks I'm hilarious.... he keeps reading ALL of my post and reacting to them with laughing emojis...It's a rare and enduring thing to have such an obsessive stocker of a fan...but really kind of nice. Thank you 007 Poke...hugs and happy new year!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Sure, it just seems, more often than not, they have the types of season Justin Hill had and others at the position. It's a whole other animal and I think more experience would do him well and perhaps prepare him for real stardom in the nfl. He seems to be durable and strong. I think those are key to kids being around a long time, but another year with Glass in his growth years would hopefully ensure that.

Btw, 007 Poke thinks I'm hilarious.... he keeps reading ALL of my post and reacting to them with laughing emojis...It's a rare and enduring thing to have such an obsessive stocker of a fan...but really kind of nice. Thank you 007 Poke...hugs and happy new year!
The shelf life for a RB is relatively short. If he has an opportunity to go make money now, he should do it... despite the selfish nature of fans that want to see him play 1 more year (including myself).

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The shelf life for a RB is relatively short. If he has an opportunity to go make money now, he should do it... despite the selfish nature of fans that want to see him play 1 more year (including myself).
depends on the running back...and the shelf.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
You are correct that money doesn’t buy happiness...it will rent it, however.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
I thought he showed up to campus out of shape. You certainly hope he can contribute next year because they overworked Chuba this year. And if Chuba leaves, I'd imagine they hit the transfer portal pretty hard because it's pretty bleak behind him. Dezmon Jackson was the JUCO guy we brought in last year, and he redshirted this season.
Jackson had a broken arm for some of the year and he finally got healthy towards the end. Glass showed up out of shape, so hope he takes this off-season serious after seeing what Chuba just did. I’ll be pretty concerned about the RB group if Hubbard is gone.