2020 Roundup and 2021/22 Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Not to take sides on this, but before we go convincing ourselves Smith may need to be replaced, as the hypothetical AD in this exercise, what coaching alternatives are available who would provide you with a high level of confidence they will do better than Smith can do in the next 5 years (or so)?? Point being, you’d better tread very lightly when considering replacing those types of coaches...grass isn’t always greener.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Not to take sides on this, but before we go convincing ourselves Smith may need to be replaced, as the hypothetical AD in this exercise, what coaching alternatives are available who would provide you with a high level of confidence they will do better than Smith can do in the next 5 years (or so)?? Point being, you’d better tread very lightly when considering replacing those types of coaches...grass isn’t always greener.
I mean outside of the dude at Iowa and the dude at Penn State wouldn’t be very many people that would turn the job down right?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Oh crap.

Cue the Gundy "discussion."

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I mean outside of the dude at Iowa and the dude at Penn State wouldn’t be very many people that would turn the job down right?
No one else would turn it down, but the fact is there isn’t a better coach than John smith out there to accept. I think recency bias gets the best of us when comparing, John had a better senior level career than Cael. JS is an absolute legend in the sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Oh crap.

Cue the Gundy "discussion."
Except that wrestling is different in that you can go get a stud up and coming coach (who quite likely is also an alum), without the worry he will use you as a stepping stone for other schools or even a pro job. You get the right guy and he is likely here for life so a lot less risk. Not saying it’s time for Smith to be fired just saying they are different animals.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
True, and maybe I misunderstood your response, but my point wasn’t about the attractiveness of the position, rather, the ability to bring someone in who you’d be confident would do better than Smith.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I suspect that John Smith and Mike Gundy leave around the same time and on their own terms. My main complaint about this year's squad was that overall they weren't aggressive enough in the first period. Seemed like we gave up the first points a lot. Also we had guys that would build up riding time but not score. Also giving up late escapes, like less than 15 seconds left escapes. I think these are mental mistakes more than performance mistakes. That's the difference between 3rd place finishes and National Championships.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2008
We got top classes because of Tyler and Chris. They have young personalities that are challenging kids to continue to be the best at the best university. Just feels the past decade most guys haven’t gotten developed to be finalists. There’s been a long stagnancy with our teams. Yes one or two guys shine but we are all use to all 10 weights being badasses and leaving it all out there. Haven’t seen that for years many times. John was world dominant because of his speed and unique unscouted moves. Now with film and scouting his style is easier to defend. I feel since Penn States run kids are looking for the bright lights and Twitter fame & we haven’t provided that recently. Many guys like Coleman, Branch, Popolizzio, Monday, Erisman etc would love to come run our program but I bet it’s handed to Esposito who is equally as impressive as a coach and having Tyler & Chris long term will do us well