2020 Roundup and 2021/22 Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
You made it sound like he left us for Penn State. Also his backing off us has probably helped us in the long run since the scholarship money we were committing to just him ended up getting spread among a handful of other recruits that will likely help us more than he would on his own (especially since he probably would have left us for Penn State like he did Ohio State). Also to call what we have a true RTC is a joke, it’s not even the best RTC in the state and almost none of our former wrestlers use it, they go to others since we do nothing for it.
I agree it’s not well publicized and I don’t even know who’s attached. But you don’t think we are funneling money through it like the big guys (big RTC’s like at Penn State and Ohio State)? Seem fishy that all of a sudden after it “opens” we hit two straight #1 recruiting classes

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I agree it’s not well publicized and I don’t even know who’s attached. But you don’t think we are funneling money through it like the big guys (big RTC’s like at Penn State and Ohio State)? Seem fishy that all of a sudden after it “opens” we hit two straight #1 recruiting classes
No I don’t think it had anything to do with it and in fact it had to be overcome. If we were funneling money to it then why can we not keep any of our former wrestlers and the coaches for it from leaving. I for one wish we were doing more with it but John is apparently not willing so anything done is not supported by him which ends up making it much less effective. As far as the top classes, I don’t want to disparage anyone but the previous issue appears to have been a personnel one and once resolved we then got the top classes.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Thanks so much for this! So with all that said, where do you realistically think we finish next year? Doesn't sound like we will have what it takes to outpace Iowa or Penn St for a championship, 3rd again? Do you think we challenge for a natty year after next?
I think we finish 3rd unless we wrestle out of our minds again or pick up both transfers that are just rumors right now that would significantly upgrade HWT and 141. Losing Boo hurts. Fix and Ferrari will be favorites for the finals. I don’t think we have another guy that would make finals unless they had the tournament of their life. Penn State is probably the favorite going into next year. 2022/23 looks sick for us and I think we have a legitimate shot especially if Jordan Williams shows up and one of our heavies grows up, lol.
A healthy Plott probably wins the big12 this year, I think he should have been rested for Bedlam going into the conference tourney. Whittlake was a dominant wrestler until the conference tourney. I think with some work both could be high AA next year. We have gaps at 141, 149 and HWT.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
A healthy Plott probably wins the big12 this year, I think he should have been rested for Bedlam going into the conference tourney. Whittlake was a dominant wrestler until the conference tourney. I think with some work both could be high AA next year. We have gaps at 141, 149 and HWT.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Not sure I would call HWT a gap but instead a spot that needs improvement. Harris just needs to find a way to add weight. There might also be some younger guys that might be able to take the spot if he continues to struggle putting on weight.

Aug 19, 2006
If you aren’t excited about third this year, with the challenges we faced, you need to watch more wrestling, lol.

Penn State has absolutely dominated the last decade. It’s been a long tome since we were really in the hunt for a natty. Future looks bright.
i don’t recall when OSU lowered the standard from winning championships to shooting for a top 3 finish. We’re the top program in the history of the sport but it’s been a decade or more since we were really competitive for the title. Time for HCJS to get us back to that level again.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
i don’t recall when OSU lowered the standard from winning championships to shooting for a top 3 finish. We’re the top program in the history of the sport but it’s been a decade or more since we were really competitive for the title. Time for HCJS to get us back to that level again.
We are the top program of the history of any American sport D-1 or pros. And I agree, we should be in the hunt for a championship, but to be fair even other top programs didn’t have much of a chance lately as Penn State has become dominant. Can’t put all the blame on JS as we have not treated it as the top program with regards to facilities or recruitment. We got a soccer, tennis and track facility before wrestling. Penn State (and other Big 1G schools) have massive endowments and great facilities. OSU? Nada.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Not sure I would call HWT a gap but instead a spot that needs improvement. Harris just needs to find a way to add weight. There might also be some younger guys that might be able to take the spot if he continues to struggle putting on weight.
Even if Harris gains a little weight, I don’t think he’s a top 5 guy, even on a good day. He can score some points for us, but both due to the low scoring nature of heavyweight, and his wrestling ability, it’s not a strong spot for us even if he finishes 6-8, which would take him wrestling very well.

Apr 14, 2009
Most of the old guard from the white Jacket club have died. If they were still around we would have a different coach. Mediocrity was not tolerated.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Most of the old guard from the white Jacket club have died. If they were still around we would have a different coach. Mediocrity was not tolerated.
True but the other thing is that the AD is no longer a former wrestler and football is now king, so wrestling does not get as much scrutiny from the administration as when we fired a coach for finishing second.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We are the top program of the history of any American sport D-1 or pros. And I agree, we should be in the hunt for a championship, but to be fair even other top programs didn’t have much of a chance lately as Penn State has become dominant. Can’t put all the blame on JS as we have not treated it as the top program with regards to facilities or recruitment. We got a soccer, tennis and track facility before wrestling. Penn State (and other Big 1G schools) have massive endowments and great facilities. OSU? Nada.
Smith is a great wrestler and wrestling coach. He may not be a great salesman. The job of a head coach includes skills like selling the AD on the priority of funding for your sport, fund raising the fat cats, adapting to the changing landscape with things like the RTC's.

I suspect Smith is towards the end of his career one way or another and I really hope he can put together another string of championships so he can live up to the Mt Rushmore perception a lot of OSU football fans have anointed him to. I'm still in the Smith camp, but he has some challenges as it pertains to the job away from the mat.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Smith is a great wrestler and wrestling coach. He may not be a great salesman. The job of a head coach includes skills like selling the AD on the priority of funding for your sport, fund raising the fat cats, adapting to the changing landscape with things like the RTC's.

I suspect Smith is towards the end of his career one way or another and I really hope he can put together another string of championships so he can live up to the Mt Rushmore perception a lot of OSU football fans have anointed him to. I'm still in the Smith camp, but he has some challenges as it pertains to the job away from the mat.
Totally agree. I'm not giving him a pass at all, just saying you don't fire the most legendary wrestler, and HOF coach because Penn State rolled off 9 consecutive national championships. Should he be better at some of the off the mat things? Yes. Should his seat be warm? No way. Frankly, and I say this without knowing his day to day schedule, it FEELS LIKE those other things like fundraising he just doesn't care a lot about which worked 20 years ago, but not when Penn State has a giant endowment and income for NLWC.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Totally agree. I'm not giving him a pass at all, just saying you don't fire the most legendary wrestler, and HOF coach because Penn State rolled off 9 consecutive national championships. Should he be better at some of the off the mat things? Yes. Should his seat be warm? No way. Frankly, and I say this without knowing his day to day schedule, it FEELS LIKE those other things like fundraising he just doesn't care a lot about which worked 20 years ago, but not when Penn State has a giant endowment and income for NLWC.
Not to take the anti Smith debate too far, but there's more to it than just taking a back seat to Penn State. When Gable took over the sport we still hung around in the 2 to 3 range most of the time. It's the 5th - 14th ranked finishes I have little patience for.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Not to take the anti Smith debate too far, but there's more to it than just taking a back seat to Penn State. When Gable took over the sport we still hung around in the 2 to 3 range most of the time. It's the 5th - 14th ranked finishes I have little patience for.
Yeah no way we should finish under 5. It has really seemed like we crater in the big tournaments. Until NCAAs this year, I can't remember the last time I thought: Wow, we sure wrestled above our "station"

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Yeah no way we should finish under 5. It has really seemed like we crater in the big tournaments. Until NCAAs this year, I can't remember the last time I thought: Wow, we sure wrestled above our "station"
Hard to wrestle above your station when you are constantly ranked in the top 3. So you (in the general sense, not specifically you) only notice when they fail to reach the expectation.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

Wish we could find a way to bring Pat Smith back. We haven't been the same since he was here.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Side note
Wish we could find a way to bring Pat Smith back. We haven't been the same since he was here.
I've never really known if he was lucky to be here at the right time or that good. Why can't we get him back here again?

I've also always thought he was underrated as a wrestler. When a discussion breaks out about best wrestlers ever at OSU, his name is rarely brought up.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Side note

I've never really known if he was lucky to be here at the right time or that good. Why can't we get him back here again?

I've also always thought he was underrated as a wrestler. When a discussion breaks out about best wrestlers ever at OSU, his name is rarely brought up.
Same reason we can't bring back Sean Sutton.

Edit - Not the same problem though, actually it would be the same problem Eddie had to end his career here.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2006
Same reason we can't bring back Sean Sutton.

Edit - Not the same problem though, actually it would be the same problem Eddie had to end his career here.
Wow. Somehow I totally missed this story when it happened. Sounds like he's lucky to be alive. Is he still coaching the Arkansas club?