2020 Roundup and 2021/22 Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
I'm back baby! And for my first post in like 8 years, I'd like to share what I wrote up about next year's wrestling team - let me know what you think and if you agree with my assessment!

For those of you that care about #okstate wrestling, here’s a quick rundown of who did what to at least scare Penn State (until the finals) and what to expect (correct me if I am wrong anywhere):

125: Trevor Mastrogiavanni (21 Seed) outwrestled his seed and went 2-2, when he might have been expected to get one win at the most. Got a MD in the first round of Cons. so did get a couple of points for the Pokes. He's a freshman, but highly touted recruit Jakason Burks is nipping at his heels. Reece Witcraft (SO.) is also a guy who MAYBE could cut from 133, and he's a decent kid too. This weight is will be good for OSU for awhile.

133: Daton Fix lived up to his 1 seed until the finals. In a season cut short by a suspension, he dominated Big XII competition and had 4 falls in his first 5 matches back against inferior wrestlers. He also had 2 falls in the tournament and finished the year 13-1 with 6 falls, 2 techs, 3 majors, 2 decisions and a loss to RBY in the finals. He's a RS Sophomore, so this is his spot for the foreseeable future, if he doesn't drink any more strange water or get injured. His backup was Reece Witcraft who went 8-4 before Fix got back.

141: No tournament participant here. Kaid Brock should have been the starter here, and had the talent to score some points, but injuries just killed the end of his career. To lose a guy that had placed 5th twice, and by all accounts a really great guy, really hurt. He was a 6th year Senior and has already said he is not coming back for year 7. Huge hole here for OSU. Kaden Gfeller and Dusty Hone both got some time here, but I don't think either are the answer. No 2021 recruits seem to fit here either. Real Woods anyone?

149: Boo Lewallen did Boo things. When push came to shove, just couldn't finish. Got pinned by Sammy Sasso after two straight OT wins (one very controversial) over what should have been overmatched opponents and lost in the 3rd place match to the 25 seed. Like Kaid Brock, Boo is not coming back for year 7. Unlike 141, they have help coming. Victor Voinovich was Flo's #15 overall at 152. Also coming is overall #82 at 152 Teague Travis. They will be young, but they are studs.

157: Wyatt Sheets have yourself a tournament! After being a late add due to a crappy Big XII tournament, this 33 seed finished 8th, the first time a 33 has ever AA! Big points that weren't expected but what a show! He will be a 6th year Senior (after taking a medical redshirt in 2018) and I presume he's coming back. If not, Jalin Harper is a middle of the road Sophomore who was 7-2 on the year against crappy competition, but if I was guessing, it could be Travis or Voinovich. There is also the substantial possibility that Flo overall #9 Travis Mastrogiavanni, an absolute hammer at 160 slides right in.

165: Travis Wittlake was a 10 seed who also outwrestled his seed by finishing 4th and beat 7 seed Ethan Smith of Ohio State along the way and only lost to Keegan O'Toole from Missouri 4-3. He's a RS SO so unless young Mastro takes him out, I expect that this is his spot next year.

174: 18 seed Dustin Plott, who has been banged up, lost pretty easily to 2 seed Demetrius Romero and (16) Clay Lautt. He did score a minor upset over (15) Thomas Flitz but just couldn't do much from there. He's a stud true freshman, and probably has this spot on lock.

184: (11) Dakota Geer also had himself a day winning 6 matches in the tournament but losing twice to (6) Poznanski from Rutgers. Finished 5th. making him the third kid from #okstate to do much better than expected. He's another 5th year senior who I have not heard whether he is coming back. I have no idea who shows out here if he doesn't, but as far as I know, Anthony Montalvo, who had a bunch of starts here and did pretty well in 2020 is still on the roster. Montalvo beat Nelson Brands, and Nino Bonaccorsi and was 1-1 against Tate Samuelson in 2020, so he's got some serious skills. In 2021 he wrestled twice at 174 as well as 1 time at 184, but nothing after January, making me wonder if he got hurt. In any event, a good option if needed and available.

197: AJ Freaking Ferrari. Need I say more? The 4 seed took the tournament by storm and won a natty as a true freshman, the first to so at OSU since Pat Smith. He's strong, lightning quick and smart. He lives and breathes cowboy wrestling, and one would think had this spot locked down. HOWEVER, after he won the championship he said he was "coming soon" to Heavyweight. Will that be next year? If he does decide to make the move, he's going to be looking at buzzsaws even if Gable Steveson takes his show to WWE or Pro Football as some are suggesting. I'd bet he stays here for at least one more year. If not, #10 overall recruit of 2021 Kyle Haas (220) is on the way, although there were early reports he never signed. He didn't wrestle in KS this year, but the rumor I've heard is that he graduated early and moved to Stillwater. Austin Harris, who we will talk about in a minute was pretty undersized and outmatched at Heavy at times, and Freshman Konner Doucet could maaaaybe be in the mix if he wanted to make a big cut.

HWT: Austin Harris also killed it as a late add, and racked up 3 wins in the consolations as a 29 seed before being eliminated by prior Cowboy commit (and as far as I am concerned, traitor) Kirkvliet in the blood round. Coach Smith was frustrated by him for much of the year and even said publicly "we will wrestle a freshman there if we have to." He's set to be a 5th year Sr. who is really undersized, long and lanky for HWT. He showed up at OSU wrestling 184 if that tells you anything. Haas and Doucet are potential options if he doesn’t pick it up more consistently, and I've heard rumors that a top finisher may be looking for a change.

Before the season started I thought we were a legit #3 and was frustrated when they had us ranked 5 and 6. Then Kaid Brock got hurt, Plott and Sheets got banged up and we did not wrestle well at the Cowboy Challenge or Big XII's so I started agreeing we were 5 or 6. Finishing 3rd, with the outside shot at 2nd until Penn State went all finals crazy, was a great year. More help is on the way with the second straight #1 recruiting class and things are looking great for 2022's class too, especially if they get Jordan Williams back into the fold. The future is bright and as you can see by Iowa winning this year, Penn State can be beat.

p.s. It's about to be silly season with transfers. Both young and old guys will be looking to move, either because the old guys got recruited over or the young guys thought they would have a spot next year but an old guy stayed. All I know is that I love my Cowboys!

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I'm back baby! And for my first post in like 8 years, I'd like to share what I wrote up about next year's wrestling team - let me know what you think and if you agree with my assessment!

For those of you that care about #okstate wrestling, here’s a quick rundown of who did what to at least scare Penn State (until the finals) and what to expect (correct me if I am wrong anywhere):

125: Trevor Mastrogiavanni (21 Seed) outwrestled his seed and went 2-2, when he might have been expected to get one win at the most. Got a MD in the first round of Cons. so did get a couple of points for the Pokes. He's a freshman, but highly touted recruit Jakason Burks is nipping at his heels. Reece Witcraft (SO.) is also a guy who MAYBE could cut from 133, and he's a decent kid too. This weight is will be good for OSU for awhile.

133: Daton Fix lived up to his 1 seed until the finals. In a season cut short by a suspension, he dominated Big XII competition and had 4 falls in his first 5 matches back against inferior wrestlers. He also had 2 falls in the tournament and finished the year 13-1 with 6 falls, 2 techs, 3 majors, 2 decisions and a loss to RBY in the finals. He's a RS Sophomore, so this is his spot for the foreseeable future, if he doesn't drink any more strange water or get injured. His backup was Reece Witcraft who went 8-4 before Fix got back.

141: No tournament participant here. Kaid Brock should have been the starter here, and had the talent to score some points, but injuries just killed the end of his career. To lose a guy that had placed 5th twice, and by all accounts a really great guy, really hurt. He was a 6th year Senior and has already said he is not coming back for year 7. Huge hole here for OSU. Kaden Gfeller and Dusty Hone both got some time here, but I don't think either are the answer. No 2021 recruits seem to fit here either. Real Woods anyone?

149: Boo Lewallen did Boo things. When push came to shove, just couldn't finish. Got pinned by Sammy Sasso after two straight OT wins (one very controversial) over what should have been overmatched opponents and lost in the 3rd place match to the 25 seed. Like Kaid Brock, Boo is not coming back for year 7. Unlike 141, they have help coming. Victor Voinovich was Flo's #15 overall at 152. Also coming is overall #82 at 152 Teague Travis. They will be young, but they are studs.

157: Wyatt Sheets have yourself a tournament! After being a late add due to a crappy Big XII tournament, this 33 seed finished 8th, the first time a 33 has ever AA! Big points that weren't expected but what a show! He will be a 6th year Senior (after taking a medical redshirt in 2018) and I presume he's coming back. If not, Jalin Harper is a middle of the road Sophomore who was 7-2 on the year against crappy competition, but if I was guessing, it could be Travis or Voinovich. There is also the substantial possibility that Flo overall #9 Travis Mastrogiavanni, an absolute hammer at 160 slides right in.

165: Travis Wittlake was a 10 seed who also outwrestled his seed by finishing 4th and beat 7 seed Ethan Smith of Ohio State along the way and only lost to Keegan O'Toole from Missouri 4-3. He's a RS SO so unless young Mastro takes him out, I expect that this is his spot next year.

174: 18 seed Dustin Plott, who has been banged up, lost pretty easily to 2 seed Demetrius Romero and (16) Clay Lautt. He did score a minor upset over (15) Thomas Flitz but just couldn't do much from there. He's a stud true freshman, and probably has this spot on lock.

184: (11) Dakota Geer also had himself a day winning 6 matches in the tournament but losing twice to (6) Poznanski from Rutgers. Finished 5th. making him the third kid from #okstate to do much better than expected. He's another 5th year senior who I have not heard whether he is coming back. I have no idea who shows out here if he doesn't, but as far as I know, Anthony Montalvo, who had a bunch of starts here and did pretty well in 2020 is still on the roster. Montalvo beat Nelson Brands, and Nino Bonaccorsi and was 1-1 against Tate Samuelson in 2020, so he's got some serious skills. In 2021 he wrestled twice at 174 as well as 1 time at 184, but nothing after January, making me wonder if he got hurt. In any event, a good option if needed and available.

197: AJ Freaking Ferrari. Need I say more? The 4 seed took the tournament by storm and won a natty as a true freshman, the first to so at OSU since Pat Smith. He's strong, lightning quick and smart. He lives and breathes cowboy wrestling, and one would think had this spot locked down. HOWEVER, after he won the championship he said he was "coming soon" to Heavyweight. Will that be next year? If he does decide to make the move, he's going to be looking at buzzsaws even if Gable Steveson takes his show to WWE or Pro Football as some are suggesting. I'd bet he stays here for at least one more year. If not, #10 overall recruit of 2021 Kyle Haas (220) is on the way, although there were early reports he never signed. He didn't wrestle in KS this year, but the rumor I've heard is that he graduated early and moved to Stillwater. Austin Harris, who we will talk about in a minute was pretty undersized and outmatched at Heavy at times, and Freshman Konner Doucet could maaaaybe be in the mix if he wanted to make a big cut.

HWT: Austin Harris also killed it as a late add, and racked up 3 wins in the consolations as a 29 seed before being eliminated by prior Cowboy commit (and as far as I am concerned, traitor) Kirkvliet in the blood round. Coach Smith was frustrated by him for much of the year and even said publicly "we will wrestle a freshman there if we have to." He's set to be a 5th year Sr. who is really undersized, long and lanky for HWT. He showed up at OSU wrestling 184 if that tells you anything. Haas and Doucet are potential options if he doesn’t pick it up more consistently, and I've heard rumors that a top finisher may be looking for a change.

Before the season started I thought we were a legit #3 and was frustrated when they had us ranked 5 and 6. Then Kaid Brock got hurt, Plott and Sheets got banged up and we did not wrestle well at the Cowboy Challenge or Big XII's so I started agreeing we were 5 or 6. Finishing 3rd, with the outside shot at 2nd until Penn State went all finals crazy, was a great year. More help is on the way with the second straight #1 recruiting class and things are looking great for 2022's class too, especially if they get Jordan Williams back into the fold. The future is bright and as you can see by Iowa winning this year, Penn State can be beat.

p.s. It's about to be silly season with transfers. Both young and old guys will be looking to move, either because the old guys got recruited over or the young guys thought they would have a spot next year but an old guy stayed. All I know is that I love my Cowboys!
Thanks so much for this! So with all that said, where do you realistically think we finish next year? Doesn't sound like we will have what it takes to outpace Iowa or Penn St for a championship, 3rd again? Do you think we challenge for a natty year after next?

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Thanks so much for this! So with all that said, where do you realistically think we finish next year? Doesn't sound like we will have what it takes to outpace Iowa or Penn St for a championship, 3rd again? Do you think we challenge for a natty year after next?
I think we finish 3rd unless we wrestle out of our minds again or pick up both transfers that are just rumors right now that would significantly upgrade HWT and 141. Losing Boo hurts. Fix and Ferrari will be favorites for the finals. I don’t think we have another guy that would make finals unless they had the tournament of their life. Penn State is probably the favorite going into next year. 2022/23 looks sick for us and I think we have a legitimate shot especially if Jordan Williams shows up and one of our heavies grows up, lol.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Grew up in Oklahoma but have lived in Texas since graduating from OSU, so I don't know:

Back in the 1970's high school wrestling was huge in Oklahoma; my high school had bigger crowds for wrestling matches than basketball games. Is that still true today or has the sport cooled off? From the outside looking in, my perception is we are not generating as much top in-state talent we did years ago.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I enjoy watching the sport but certainly don’t have the history learning about the intricacies of it from a coaching and weight selection process. That being said, here are my related questions, thanks:

1. Is it a given that Fix will remain at 133 or could/should he move to 141?

2. Using Fix as our example, how difficult would it really be for him to move up? I mean, besides maybe eating more (but equally healthy), do wrestlers have to materially change their style? Does it frequently adversely affect their quickness and agility?

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I enjoy watching the sport but certainly don’t have the history learning about the intricacies of it from a coaching and weight selection process. That being said, here are my related questions, thanks:

2. Using Fix as our example, how difficult would it really be for him to move up? I mean, besides maybe eating more (but equally healthy), do wrestlers have to materially change their style? Does it frequently adversely affect their quickness and agility?
Normally wrestlers cut down to the weights they wrestle at for weigh ins then eat. So they usually wrestle heavier than the weight class. For example AJ Ferrari wrestles 187 but walks around 220-225. Normally if you wrestle up a weight class you are wrestling guys that are larger than you and it’s tougher.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Normally wrestlers cut down to the weights they wrestle at for weigh ins then eat. So they usually wrestle heavier than the weight class. For example AJ Ferrari wrestles 187 but walks around 220-225. Normally if you wrestle up a weight class you are wrestling guys that are larger than you and it’s tougher.
Thanks Kerr.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK

I do not see Daton moving up to 141. I think he stays at 133. Always been the smaller weight class and he is comfortable there.

Aug 19, 2006

Great recap. It's hard to get excited about a 3rd place finish when you're talking about OSU wrestling but that was probably the best this team was going to do this year no matter what.

The future sounds promising. Will be interesting to see what the puts and adds are with respect to transfers this offseason. That's always a wild card.

Dec 21, 2008
Would love to see how our teams looked 12-15+ yrs ago when we were dominating. It’s weird seeing guys ranked in the 20s and 30s at osu. I know several are freshmen but seriously why are we not connecting classes better? And why all the injuries? I know wrestling is stupid tough on the body but ACLs are very rarely torn in wrestling and we’ve had several knees blown out the past decade

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Would love to see how our teams looked 12-15+ yrs ago when we were dominating. It’s weird seeing guys ranked in the 20s and 30s at osu. I know several are freshmen but seriously why are we not connecting classes better? And why all the injuries? I know wrestling is stupid tough on the body but ACLs are very rarely torn in wrestling and we’ve had several knees blown out the past decade
The issue with recruiting has been resolved as shown by the last two classes. The injuries is not as easy to solve and may not be solved. Coach Smith believes in pushing hard in practices and it can cause injuries. Some other schools have moved to a less intensive practice plan.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Grew up in Oklahoma but have lived in Texas since graduating from OSU, so I don't know:

Back in the 1970's high school wrestling was huge in Oklahoma; my high school had bigger crowds for wrestling matches than basketball games. Is that still true today or has the sport cooled off? From the outside looking in, my perception is we are not generating as much top in-state talent we did years ago.
It’s still big in some areas but traditional powers have kind of slacked off some (MWC, El Reno, off the top of my head). Frankly participation is down in most sports. Too many other things to do abs wrestling is HARD. We still have top guys in OK, especially when you consider our population, but NE is where most talent is.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com

Fix is wrestling 126 at Olympic trials next week and I don’t think he has any intention to move up a weight.

And at this point it’s hard to materially change your style. Obviously the higher weight you go the stronger your opponents. If you are a 184 like Austin Harris was and now you are wrestling guys up to 285, that probably changes your style a bit. Certainly your strategy.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Great recap. It's hard to get excited about a 3rd place finish when you're talking about OSU wrestling but that was probably the best this team was going to do this year no matter what.

The future sounds promising. Will be interesting to see what the puts and adds are with respect to transfers this offseason. That's always a wild card.
If you aren’t excited about third this year, with the challenges we faced, you need to watch more wrestling, lol.

Penn State has absolutely dominated the last decade. It’s been a long tome since we were really in the hunt for a natty. Future looks bright.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
It is my belief that Smith’s refusal to open an Regional Training Center (RTC) put us way behind in recruiting in the last decade. Add to that the fact that we don’t support wrestling financially like we should a sport that is the most historically dominant program in any decent sized sport in college/pros, it makes it harder. I also don’t think we do a good enough job publicizing the program, although it’s getting better. The Big 1G takes their wrestling seriously. For the Big XII it’s an afterthought.
We opened a RTC and our recruiting lately has been fantastic. We had a big time heavy commit that backed out and went to Penn State and that really hurt us. He’s good. And a traitor.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
It is my belief that Smith’s refusal to open an Regional Training Center (RTC) put us way behind in recruiting in the last decade. Add to that the fact that we don’t support wrestling financially like we should a sport that is the most historically dominant program in any decent sized sport in college/pros, it makes it harder. I also don’t think we do a good enough job publicizing the program, although it’s getting better. The Big 1G takes their wrestling seriously. For the Big XII it’s an afterthought.
We opened a RTC and our recruiting lately has been fantastic. We had a big time heavy commit that backed out and went to Penn State and that really hurt us. He’s good. And a traitor.
So first off you are mistaken as that HWT backed off us and went to Ohio State only to leave them after a couple of years and transfer to Penn State thanks to some very shady stuff that actually is thanks to their RTC. RTCs are pretty much against NCAA rules but wrestling is not significant enough for the NCAA to do anything. Thus us not cheating like others may not be that bad of a thing in the long run. Also the lack of a viable RTC has not stopped us from getting the top ranked recruiting classes the last two years. It was another issue that was our main problem and that has been resolved.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
So first off you are mistaken as that HWT backed off us and went to Ohio State only to leave them after a couple of years and transfer to Penn State thanks to some very shady stuff that actually is thanks to their RTC. RTCs are pretty much against NCAA rules but wrestling is not significant enough for the NCAA to do anything. Thus us not cheating like others may not be that bad of a thing in the long run. Also the lack of a viable RTC has not stopped us from getting the top ranked recruiting classes the last two years. It was another issue that was our main problem and that has been resolved.
We have an RTC. And I know all about Kirkvliet. What did I say that was wrong? Penn State is his 4th program he’s been “attached to”

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
We have an RTC. And I know all about Kirkvliet. What did I say that was wrong? Penn State is his 4th program he’s been “attached to”
You made it sound like he left us for Penn State. Also his backing off us has probably helped us in the long run since the scholarship money we were committing to just him ended up getting spread among a handful of other recruits that will likely help us more than he would on his own (especially since he probably would have left us for Penn State like he did Ohio State). Also to call what we have a true RTC is a joke, it’s not even the best RTC in the state and almost none of our former wrestlers use it, they go to others since we do nothing for it.