2020 MBB General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Here's a hypothetical:

Say Pena doesn't qualify, leaving 2 open scholarships and all 3 of Williams, Thor, and Horne were wanting to commit.

How would those be prioritized by the staff, or if you were to make that decision, how would you prioritize those?

I think Horne fills two needs both as a starting-caliber PF and as a quality shooter.

It'd be hard for me to not give him a spot.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
View attachment 79302 Seeing this and hearing Pena may not qualify and if Flavors may not be eligible, this goes to show why we are pursuing Donovan and JT and either TU or Purdue transfer.

Makes sense now seeing we have one left and two possible not on scholarship for a year
Yeah, it doesn't work that way if he was a regular transfer where he has to sit out, which he isn't, he would still count against the scholarship numbers.

Sep 3, 2019
Stillwater, Ok
Here's a hypothetical:

Say Pena doesn't qualify, leaving 2 open scholarships and all 3 of Williams, Thor, and Horne were wanting to commit.

How would those be prioritized by the staff, or if you were to make that decision, how would you prioritize those?

I think Horne fills two needs both as a starting-caliber PF and as a quality shooter.

I mean true but JT Thor fills both needs too. And he’s prolly more talented.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Here's a hypothetical:

I mean true but JT Thor fills both needs too. And he’s prolly more talented.
Is Thor's shooting ability similar to Horne's? I know his scouting reports indicate he's a solid shooter but without actual percentages (maybe his HS stats are available somewhere), it's a hard comparison to make.

Also, his slight frame is a little concerning to be a starting PF in the Big 12, which is what the team needs.

All that said, I know little about him aside from a few hightlight videos. His ceiling, though, appears to be very high.

Seems to me like a win-now vs. future potential decision.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010
Thor's athletic ability is much greater than Horne.I think Thor is the way we would prefer to go here. Horne is a great insurance policy. The big kid from Purdue makes no sense to me.

Flavors has to be a grad transfer or we wouldn't take him. He's not worth tying up two years of scholly for one year of play.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Horne’s numbers indicate he is an average 3 point shooter at 34% last year (although 37% the year before which would be solid) and a good free throw shooter (86%). Horne averaged 5 rebounds per game.

I can’t find Thor’s stats anywhere. Anybody have a good site with high school player stats?

Assuming they are similar in the shooting department, Thor is the better prospect. But, Horne has 30 pounds on him and has played D1 b-ball. I’m also concerned that Thor is reclassifying so he can play pro ball sooner. So, if he is going to jump to Europe after 1 year then it’s risky to take him. If you are only getting 1 year or either player then give me the more proven guy and give Boynton another scholly to work with next year. If Thor is going to stick around for 3 years, then I’d take him. He’s so young with the reclass, I’d be concerned with his ability to contribute year 1.

I’d take Haarms from Purdue over both of them. It seems like he is also a grad transfer and he has NCAA tourney experience (which this team desperately needs). He’s ready to start from day 1. If Gonzaga, Louisville, Kentucky, and Arizona are after him, that is all you really need to know. 8.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, and 2 bpg are great production at 20.5 mpg. Probably transferring because he won’t start over Trevion Williams at Purdue. He and Yor could split time and both stay out of foul trouble and maybe have Yor play the 4 a bit. I think this is a long shot.

For 1 year: Haarms, Horne, Thor
For Career: Haarms, Thor, Horne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Thor's athletic ability is much greater than Horne.I think Thor is the way we would prefer to go here. Horne is a great insurance policy. The big kid from Purdue makes no sense to me.

Flavors has to be a grad transfer or we wouldn't take him. He's not worth tying up two years of scholly for one year of play.
Thor's length in tandem with Boone/Anei in the defensive front court would be a tough matchup for most any team, which is something Horne doesn't provide. It would be reminiscent to a few of Scott Drew's Baylor teams.

I'd be very happy with either.

At any rate, it's encouraging to be in a position where so many quality players are interested in the program. Hopefully that points to more success in the future.

Dec 21, 2008
The1Poke..
If we have two spots open does that mean someone’s gone? And if we are after JT & Donovan hard, how do you talk to transfers without any open spot leverage?
Or as a coach are you just truthful & say we have it saved & if he doesn’t come it yours?

Sep 23, 2010
Thor's length in tandem with Boone/Anei in the defensive front court would be a tough matchup for most any team, which is something Horne doesn't provide. It would be reminiscent to a few of Scott Drew's Baylor teams.

I'd be very happy with either.

At any rate, it's encouraging to be in a position where so many quality players are interested in the program. Hopefully that points to more success in the future.

I'm not on board with the Purdue kid. Do I think he's one of the better players on the board? Yes. But, I think Yor/Kalib are good at the 5, and I don't think either of them would be effective 4's. And if we play two true bigs at once, it really clogs the lane up for Cunningham and Ice. Cade and Ice are our two best players, and we need to build around their talents imo.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
It’ll be interesting how aggressive we pursue the young man from Purdue. I don’t think he’s a necessity b/c you have Anei/Boone/Pena at the 5 while you have Boone(his natural position)/Hidde at the 4. JT Thor could play a factor as well. Lots of dominoes to fall.

Sep 23, 2010
Donovan Williams just announced on his Instagram he was down To just 2 schools KSU and OSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure why, but this feels like he's going to Kansas State. Other schools seem to be cooling on him, must have been many of their second or third options.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Saw that. So K state now has a scholarship open. I knew he wasn’t gonna choose Texas either, they only have one scholarship available and it’s going to Greg Brown when he commits.
if Greg brown commits to Texas, it could open up for JT Thor to Auburn. Not saying it happens but with this kid you never know.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
if Greg brown commits to Texas, it could open up for JT Thor to Auburn. Not saying it happens but with this kid you never know.
Yep it’s been weird for Greg Brown. Heard he wanted to go pro and then heard he was a silent commit too Texas. Shaka is staying, who he likes a lot. Just hope OSU can get Thor. Would hate to lose JT at the last moment to Bruce Pearl.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Yep it’s been weird for Greg Brown. Heard he wanted to go pro and then heard he was a silent commit too Texas. Shaka is staying, who he likes a lot. Just hope OSU can get Thor. Would hate to lose JT at the last moment to Bruce Pearl.
Both of their recruitments have been odd to say the least. I hope Thor comes to us as well. Some of the Auburn’s insiders believe they’ve been making a strong push for Thor in case Brown chooses Texas. It’s also a little closer to home for Thor. It seems both players like to keep fans on their toes.