12 story condo in Miami collapses

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
The condo association representing the people who live in this building has filed a lawsuit claiming serious structural issues with this building had been identified already for years, that it had been documented since the 90's that the building was sinking year after year and that the owner of the building refused to do the necessary maint or repairs to prevent damage to the structure of the building

https://www.tmz.com/2021/06/25/lawsuit-filed-miami-building-collapse-preventable/
I read this as someone is suing the condominium owner's association, which I assume is made up of the individual condominium owners and not an "owner of the building." Of course, there may be many who rent the condominiums from individual owners (as my son does in another city) and it may be one of these who filed the lawsuit. My guess is that many of the individual owners will be facing financial ruin and those filing lawsuits will be fighting over whatever they can squeeze out of insurance companies. Also noticed it's been filed as a class action lawsuit, which in my (very limited) experience means there will be millions of dollars owed or paid for attorney's fees while those actually in the class will receive little of value - i.e., "We're so sorry your Toyota spontaneously combusted in your garage, burned down your house along with all your family heirlooms and killed your mother-in-law. We have successfully represented you in our class action lawsuit. The Court has granted us reimbursement for our investigation fees, billable hours, administrative costs, management fees, etc., etc. As a member of The Class, The Court has decreed you will be receiving in the mail a certificate for a $100 cash rebate from the purchase of a 2022 Toyota. This certificate is good from 10/01/2021 until 02/28/2022. The certificate has no cash value and may not be sold, bartered, given away or used by any other person. Once again, we are sorry for your loss. Sincerely, Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, Attys at Law. (Offer not good in all 50 states).

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Family reports phone calls from missing grandparents from inside collapsed condo building

SURFSIDE, Fla. – With five bodies recovered and 156 people still unaccounted for, the search and rescue operation continues at the site of a condo building collapse near Miami.

But one family is getting a series of mysterious phone calls form a number inside the building.

Jake says his mother's house line has been receiving calls from the Notkin's home line. But all they hear are voicemails with static. No human sound on the other end.

The family has received a total of 16 calls.

Nov 6, 2010
I wonder how many other buildings are going to be condemned now in that area. This can't be an isolated issue with all those buildings being built right on the sand/beach like that. I've read that there are several right there that were built around the same time by the same company using the same design. You have to think they've all had similar inspection reports, and if so, no way those can be ignored now.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I wonder how many other buildings are going to be condemned now in that area. This can't be an isolated issue with all those buildings being built right on the sand/beach like that. I've read that there are several right there that were built around the same time by the same company using the same design. You have to think they've all had similar inspection reports, and if so, no way those can be ignored now.
One story I saw said that most of the damage (that may or may not have led to the collapse) could have been avoided with proper drainage so its possible the other buildings are not having the same issue.

Nov 6, 2010
One story I saw said that most of the damage (that may or may not have led to the collapse) could have been avoided with proper drainage so its possible the other buildings are not having the same issue.
Hopefully that's the case. One thing is for sure though, any and all inspection reports are going to be scrutinized now for and posted for all to see.

Dec 11, 2011
at least we know in a real emergency we can still put petty politics beside

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/1410611754741100545
I would argue that it is ALWAYS really important for government to cooperate. But they all refuse to do so 99% of the time.

Clean slate protocol.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm going to have to find the videos somewhere else, but I saw on TikTok, a video of water flowing from above, into the garage before the collapse.

Also, another video of a nearby building with some real bad cracks in their underground garage.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk