12 story condo in Miami collapses

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
WOW..Live video. WHAT is going on there now?? Is the rest of it collapsing ??

This giant cloud of dust/debris has been coming from the bottom of what is left standing for the last 40 min and keeps getting thicker and thicker
1624559787091.png

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
assuming this building would have been the same or close to the same distance down to bedrock to anchor the foundation....and then assuming a sink hole opened under that foundation system, and took out that 15-25ft foundation system, + an underground parking structure, + several of the 12 stories that collapsed....that sink hole would have to be 80-100Ft deep at that point I would think. Would have to have been a MASSIVE sink hole to make this happen, Not unheard of but makes the odds of it being 100% to blame on a sink hole statistically have to drop when we look at just how much stuff under the surface we are dealing with here.

I'm betting it has to be a combo of events/failures over years and years for this kinda of collapse, not just a sudden event/failure that caused the extent of that damage
Not exactly sure what you're driving at in post above, but a sudden, downward movement of even a couple of feet could have led to a complete shearing off of multiple beams along multiple lines at once, and caused a regional collapse that progressed rapidly to other surrounding areas. What we see in the video is that the lower portion of the building starts to move simultaneously with the upper part of the building, indicating that the failure took place at the lower levels, then the rest came with it. It didn't appear to be a progressive failure starting from the top. But that's based on one grainy video where you can't see the precise beginning of the collapse.

The regional nature of the collapse points to a larger-scale failure, consistent with a "sink hole" or some other geological formation failure below the surface. Either that, or there was some kind of massive failure of a single huge element or many at once, which doesn't seem likely on a building that was designed in a relatively modern era of a major city.

Roughly speaking, each column (and pier foundation element) could be supporting 3,000,000 lbs or more, so the scale of the loads on the rock below is hard to comprehend.

Someone also shared an article claiming that settlement up to 1 inch had been detected in the building within the last year, which would be a massive amount movement for a building of this size (presumably) founded directly in rock. Any building designed with piers into rock, the assumption is that settlement will equal zero at the foundation level. So you're talking rock formation collapse or seismic event. The last building I designed in Florida was under the 2010 Florida Building Code, which didn't even contain seismic design provisions. The assumption is that seismic events don't happen in Florida, so a seismic movement event seems really unlikely and/or would make them re-write the codes for this event.

But also... I'm not an expert in high-rise construction, so my insight is pretty limited.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Not exactly sure what you're driving at in post above, but a sudden, downward movement of even a couple of feet could have led to a complete shearing off of multiple beams along multiple lines at once, and caused a regional collapse that progressed rapidly to other surrounding areas. What we see in the video is that the lower portion of the building starts to move simultaneously with the upper part of the building, indicating that the failure took place at the lower levels, then the rest came with it. It didn't appear to be a progressive failure starting from the top. But that's based on one grainy video where you can't see the precise beginning of the collapse.

The regional nature of the collapse points to a larger-scale failure, consistent with a "sink hole" or some other geological formation failure below the surface. Either that, or there was some kind of massive failure of a single element, which doesn't seem likely on a building that was designed in a relatively modern era of a major city.

Roughly speaking, each column (and pier foundation element) could have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000,000 lbs or more, so the scale of the loads on the rock below is hard to comprehend.

Someone also shared an article claiming that settlement up to 1 inch had been detected in the building within the last year, which would be a massive amount movement for a building of this size (presumably) founded directly in rock. Any building designed with piers into rock, the assumption is that settlement will equal zero at the foundation level. So you're talking rock formation collapse or seismic event. Florida Building Code doesn't even have seismic design in it. The assumption is that seismic events don't happen in Florida, so a seismic movement event seems really unlikely and/or would make them re-write the codes for this event.

But also... I'm not an expert in high-rise construction, so my insight is pretty limited.
This is all accurate. To further provide info, while I don't know the subsurface conditions of Miami in particular, Florida has a lot of karst formations and limestone. Voids and sink holes are not uncommon in that kind of geologic structure.

Aug 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1408183191014416385?s=19
Read it was also the subject of studies related to it sinking. Afraid we are going to be subject to a lot of theories that taken individually will not explain what happened.

A parking garage collapsed in Irving in July 2018. No one was hurt so there was never a forensic evaluation of the failure....staggering that someone has to die before the powers that be recognize there is something to be learned from every failure. More than a year after the fact I was at the office building next to it and the garage was still there, collapsed sections still in place. No idea if they ever got around to bringing it down

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
In the theory department. Because I'm no engineer and I was told these by someone else.
1) there was supposedly heavy equipment on the roof because of repair work and that brought it down.
2) it was an explosion to destroy any evidence that John mcafee had on the elites. Because a bad pic supposedly shows a tweet from him, that isn't on his feed, mentioning the backed up information is all stored in his home near 88th and whatever(didn't get the street name) and that is where the collapsed building is.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Oct 30, 2007
Found the pic that is floating around.
Insane if true, but it probably a hoax. If he possessed highly sensitive incriminating material, why would he tweet to the world where it's located? I can buy the theory that he didn't kill himself (Epstein 2.0), but this seems like a stretch.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
WOW, so he hid his files in a building that had a documented history of structural issues? What a massive coincidence. I mean it's twitter screenshots so it's gotta be true.
AND he told the WORLD where they were "just in case"... Kinda defeats the purpose of hiding them if you tell everyone where they are...

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The condo association representing the people who live in this building has filed a lawsuit claiming serious structural issues with this building had been identified already for years, that it had been documented since the 90's that the building was sinking year after year and that the owner of the building refused to do the necessary maint or repairs to prevent damage to the structure of the building

https://www.tmz.com/2021/06/25/lawsuit-filed-miami-building-collapse-preventable/

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The condo association representing the people who live in this building has filed a lawsuit claiming serious structural issues with this building had been identified already for years, that it had been documented since the 90's that the building was sinking year after year and that the owner of the building refused to do the necessary maint or repairs to prevent damage to the structure of the building

https://www.tmz.com/2021/06/25/lawsuit-filed-miami-building-collapse-preventable/
I'm still betting on a sink hole. Buildings like that are designed with several (sometimes large) safety factors and usually a lot of redundancy within the system. From what I've seen, the entire center of the building fell at once as a large chunk, starting from the bottom. I guess it's possible that the middle of the structure was sitting on huge transfer beams that simultaneously failed due to loss of cross section from a LOT of corrosion of the bottom steel, but that seems very unlikely.

The ICC (International Code Council) has already put out a statement about the collapse, and the entire structural community will be following the details very closely. This could impact how we design structures all over the world going forward.

I'll have to agree with those who have stated it legit looks like a controlled demo happening. Very, very odd.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

McAfee official Twitter page tweeted out just a giant Black Q letter the day after it was announced he was dead. There have been several times when McAfee's social media accts have published things that have not been done by him.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/q-post-john-mcafee-instagram-222009800.html
My point was, there's nothing on this Twitter feed that shows that tweet. In other words I can find no evidence that tweet ever existed on his account by him or somebody else.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

WOW, so he hid his files in a building that had a documented history of structural issues? What a massive coincidence. I mean it's twitter screenshots so it's gotta be true.
As far as theories go, I mean that's not a hard one to believe because he was in Miami a lot. Supposedly. I'm shocked I haven't heard somebody say that he is really alive and he paid off the Spanish government or at least his guards to fake his death so he could get away from the American government and Hillary Clinton.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
AND he told the WORLD where they were "just in case"... Kinda defeats the purpose of hiding them if you tell everyone where they are...
Unless he tweeted to the world because he knew somebody would go get them before the government could and the implosion of the apartment building is to cover up the fact that they were already gone.
Am I doing this right? You know trying to connect the dots that don't really exist.