110 year sentence for truck driver

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
110 years is a ton but i'm not aware of the circumstances. Could he really have veered off into a runway lane before he crashed into people? Why was he going 85MPH? Did he know the brakes were bad and or was he riding them too much that made them give out?

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
110 years is a ton but i'm not aware of the circumstances. Could he really have veered off into a runway lane before he crashed into people? Why was he going 85MPH? Did he know the brakes were bad and or was he riding them too much that made them give out?
From what I read. He bypassed safety run off ramps on I 70. I have never been in that situation with any of my trucks before. I did read he lost brakes. Should he have manslaughter charges? Probably, I don't know all the particulars though. 110 years seems like a lot to me, it's probably not enough for the families of the victims though.

Nov 6, 2010
Was his intent to hurt others? If so, then yes, 110 years is right. Was his intent to save himself at the expense of others? If so, then around half that sentence. Was he scared witless with no clue what to do? Then maybe 10% of that sentence. ( because he failed at his training still and cost lives )
From what I've read, and if it was verified that his breaks failed, the only negligent thing he actually did was speeding. Now I get speeding with several tons of truck is different from the average driver speeding, but I can't see it as being 110 year's worth of difference. The one thing I haven't seen though, is verification of the failed brakes story. Seems that could be fairly easy to verify after the fact unless fire destroyed all the evidence.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
From what I've read, and if it was verified that his breaks failed, the only negligent thing he actually did was speeding. Now I get speeding with several tons of truck is different from the average driver speeding, but I can't see it as being 110 year's worth of difference. The one thing I haven't seen though, is verification of the failed brakes story. Seems that could be fairly easy to verify after the fact unless fire destroyed all the evidence.
And was he speeding because his brakes failed and he was coming DOWN from the mountains? Need more info.

Nov 23, 2010
The DA stacked charges for the same thing and he was found guilty on all counts, Colorado law states you have to serve terms for crimes of violence consecutively rather than concurrently.

So he has to serve his term for manslaughter, then he also has to serve for first degree assault and attempted first degree assault, even though all of these charges come from the same single action. The DA stacked the charges with the threat of this lengthy term to coerce him into a plea deal.

Whatever the term for manslaughter is seems like it should be the maximum years served for this.

Here is an article with more details: https://apnews.com/article/business-colorado-sentencing-79bf9099c9f71d2e40edb6de7f38b6ce