1,000+ armed citizens to march during Tulsa race massacre centennial

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
They announced they are canceling the Tulsa Race Massacre Centennial Rise and Remember celebration Monday. John Legend and Stacy Abrams were on the agenda, and I think Jesse Jackson as well.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Per CBS This Morning.

The commission had set terms and finances with the Survivors and Decedents of Survivors to participate in this nationally televised show.

However, apparently yesterday the lawyer for this group sent NEW demands to the commission. The demands included a $1 million payment to each survivor or descendent who participated in the event and a non negotiable $50 MILLION pledge to be announced at the event to rebuild the Greewood District.

The Commission said these were terms they could not meet and canceled the event

Mar 11, 2006
Per CBS This Morning.

The commission had set terms and finances with the Survivors and Decedents of Survivors to participate in this nationally televised show.

However, apparently yesterday the lawyer for this group sent NEW demands to the commission. The demands included a $1 million payment to each survivor or descendent who participated in the event and a non negotiable $50 MILLION pledge to be announced at the event to rebuild the Greewood District.

The Commission said these were terms they could not meet and canceled the event
I heard that from a friend yesterday, but I thought that was just a rumor ------ WOW. I guess I am missing some context. They had Stacey Abrams and John Legend scheduled,, plus already sold a lot of tickets and built a massive stage. I don't understand why a demand of $$$ from survivors mucked up the planning.

Mar 11, 2006
At the end of this clip, Gayle King states that she is sure there is more to the story. Very true.

https://twitter.com/cbsthismorning/status/1398238148610646019?s=21

Mar 11, 2006
The story is getting ugly. Republican and Democrat leaders are not pleased with the Race Massacre Commission. Commission certainly appears they may have been using, or at least promising, the huge amount of public and private funds to line the pockets of some. The Commission had years to make plans and what an embarrassment to cancel the Rise & Remember even just days before.

Republican James Lan resigned from the commission stating the Commission drifted “from the original goals of the commission to a more partisan political agenda".
Democrat Judy Eason-McIntyre said, “I've seen stink before ... and it's all about money."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/organizers-dispute-over-survivors-scrapped-230857628.html

Mar 11, 2006
Reading and watching media stories about how some claim the Tulsa Race Massacre was not taught in schools. I understand those who did not got to HS in Oklahoma or in Tulsa may not of had it as part of their curriculum. But I know I learned about it in the mid/late 80s as a freshman in HS in the required Oklahoma History class and my wife did as well at a different HS.

For those that went to HS in Oklahoma — did you learn about it in HS?

https://twitter.com/muellershewrote/status/1399224766565781504?s=21

Aug 16, 2012
Reading and watching media stories about how some claim the Tulsa Race Massacre was not taught in schools. I understand those who did not got to HS in Oklahoma or in Tulsa may not of had it as part of their curriculum. But I know I learned about it in the mid/late 80s as a freshman in HS in the required Oklahoma History class and my wife did as well at a different HS.

No. Cushing, 1978-81. Learned about it from my mother who had ties to the Brookside area not far away. Ironically, the class I had that one would presume it would be part of the curriculum was taught by an ex-OSU linebacker who passed away a couple months ago.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Learned about it because of everything that started being publicized in the late 90s (commission was formed in 97 and lots of more official recognitions happened then). Had multiple class discussions on it in middle school, though it was entirely absent from my official OK history class. We discussed it in civics and earth sciences of all places, but not a word in OK or US history.

Edit: I'm from Tulsa and even there it wasn't a part of the curriculum.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida

Born and raised in Southern Oklahoma and I never heard about it until the 2000’s. My wife actually grew up in the Tulsa area and first heard about even later. Both of us were born in the early 70’s.

I don’t think it was part of my Oklahoma history class that I took in high school during the 80’s. I remember a lot of stupid shit from that class because I only had to take it because I switched high schools my senior year. So I took it my very last semester of high school. If it was covered, it was glossed over. Or better phrasing might be white washed. I would have remembered the actual details I know now.

Sep 22, 2011

We spent a whole week on the subject and had a field trip to the greenwood cultural center during Oklahoma history, 2002 jenks schools.

Dec 11, 2011
Southern OK '02 HS grad; was covered in 8th grade OK history class. Probably 1 day's worth of coverage with a small amount of discussion several other times. I wouldn't say it was all-encompassing, but was definitely something I knew a little about. I always assumed I didn't have as much detail just because I had only been to Tulsa 1 time before I came to OSU, so didn't have any familiarity with the area & its history. The one difference that stuck out to me was it was titled "Tulsa Race Riots" still at that time.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I had to take Oklahoma history when I moved up here my Junior year (that was fun being a Jr in a Freshman history class...) and don't recall the subject. My was born and raised in OK and didn't know anything about it until recently.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005

First time I heard about it was in my Masters Educational Diversity class. Graduated high school in 2003 and Bachelors in 2009 and had never heard of it. Even then it was called the Tulsa Race Riots and not the Tulsa Race Massacre.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I don't remember learning about it but I'm sure there are plenty of things I don't remember hearing about in school. Most of my history teachers were coaches and they probably covered only what was in the text book. I think it absolutely should be taught as part of an Oklahoma history class if it's not already.

Also, why do I have a strong suspicion that the people complaining that a local event isn't being taught in schools here are the same people that want the federal government to have ever increasing levels of control over education.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Graduated from HS in '79 and don't remember hearing about it. Asked my mother who graduated from Bartlesville in '58 about it one time, and she said that she had never heard about it. Her dad moved to Tulsa from Missouri in the early 20's and had never mentioned it.