“Drive-Slowing” Injuries

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Any player that doesn't have the conditioning to play against an uptempo offense, shouldn't be on the field. If your starters were too fatigued during the second half, they should've been on the bench. It's a bush league move to take a dive against an uptempo offense to slow the game down. Players ought to be held out for an entire series if they stop the clock for an injury.
I’d also not that I don’t see our guys doing this against tempo offenses, and other than some isolated incidents, I don’t see other B12 teams doing it, at least not since 2011 A&M.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
you can be too tired to get up. some, or most of you have never played college football. defense especially requires 100 percent effort at all times. you're always chasing fast guys.

Im a lawyer now, and not proud of this, but i used to take speed at halftime so i could play full speed the 2nd half. and that was against normal offenses, not the spread. it makes matters worse with the hurry up where you cant even sub out tired players.

players get hurt when they are too fatigued. it happens against wvu too, but it is a safety issue. a player may need to stay down bc he's just too tired to go another play full tilt without a blow. Saban has actually said hurry-up offenses are a safety issues and should be banned, ie the defense can sub players in whenever it wants.
Come on man, go feed that to some sooner inbreds next week, they pull the same lame BS. #40 was sprinting off the field after his 3rd "injury" of the game until the coaches screamed at him to lie down. We play the exact same offenses you do and I've never seen an OSU player fake an injury. What a crock of :poo:

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
you can be too tired to get up. some, or most of you have never played college football. defense especially requires 100 percent effort at all times. you're always chasing fast guys.

Im a lawyer now, and not proud of this, but i used to take speed at halftime so i could play full speed the 2nd half. and that was against normal offenses, not the spread. it makes matters worse with the hurry up where you cant even sub out tired players.

players get hurt when they are too fatigued. it happens against wvu too, but it is a safety issue. a player may need to stay down bc he's just too tired to go another play full tilt without a blow. Saban has actually said hurry-up offenses are a safety issues and should be banned, ie the defense can sub players in whenever it wants.
Do you drink a lot? I hope not, I don’t want this happening to me.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
#40 was pathetic during the game. He was 'helped off' 4-5 times during the game and would be right back in after he sat a play.

One time, one of the WVU defensive players started to 'limp' off and 3-4 of their coaches all signaled at the same time to go down. As clear of a delay tactic as it gets... and they'll keep doing it until the NCAA/Big XII puts a rule in place.

Sitting a series is the answer.

Apr 7, 2006
I don’t see a problem giving a number of injuries before forcing players to sit the series and I also see no problem in allowing coaches to burn a timeout to allow a player the ability to come back in. So after some 4 freebies (just picked a random number) , every new injury forces the player to the sideline for the series or the coaches have to use a timeout. If it’s a player safety issue then sitting out longer will help. I think the right thing to do is go run the numbers on what the normal number of injury timeouts in a game is. Whatever the average is, give that number as freebies and allow coaches to use them or hold out the player at their discretion. That basically treats them like timeouts, challenges, etc and gives coaches the ability to make the decisions. The most difficult part would be enforcement.

Jun 23, 2005
Gundy indicated on the radio that he plans to raise this issue with the Big 12. He said that there were times on the top level film they review that WVU players went to the sidelines, nobody attended them, and they went right back in the game. If the concern is player safety, make him stay out for that series, and don’t let their team come over and huddle with their coaches essentially getting a free time out.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I think a lot of the “keeping out” a player for some period of time rules are difficult to enforce. I think it would be much more effective to label such offenses as unsportsmanlike conduct penalties or delay of games. Coaches aren’t going to let kids fake injuries if it’s going to cost them yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 23, 2005
I think a lot of the “keeping out” a player for some period of time rules are difficult to enforce. I think it would be much more effective to label such offenses as unsportsmanlike conduct penalties or delay of games. Coaches aren’t going to let kids fake injuries if it’s going to cost them yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem with that is that you would essentially turn referees into doctors. Football officials cannot make medical judgments on the field.

Dec 30, 2006
The problem with all of the suggestions is that the damage is already done to the offense....they've delayed the up-tempo to allow sufficient time to catch their wind and strategize. Making the defense take a time-out due to fake injury doesn't really have a one for one impact on that drive. If you really want to get rid of this type of play, it should be a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty as soon as that "injured" player returns to the game on that same drive.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Come on man, go feed that to some sooner inbreds next week, they pull the same lame BS. #40 was sprinting off the field after his 3rd "injury" of the game until the coaches screamed at him to lie down. We play the exact same offenses you do and I've never seen an OSU player fake an injury. What a crock of :poo:
So I wasn't really keeping track. One guy did three of those "injuries"? This is why I say they should keep an eye on it.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
The problem with all of the suggestions is that the damage is already done to the offense....they've delayed the up-tempo to allow sufficient time to catch their wind and strategize. Making the defense take a time-out due to fake injury doesn't really have a one for one impact on that drive. If you really want to get rid of this type of play, it should be a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty as soon as that "injured" player returns to the game on that same drive.
But if it's a close game in the end...like ours was...that charged timeout might go a LOOONNNGGGG way.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
The problem with that is that you would essentially turn referees into doctors. Football officials cannot make medical judgments on the field.
I don't think anyone is asking the refs to be doctors. I think that, referring to one of your other comments about Gundy noticing players go back into the game perfectly fine, if something like that happens, the ref can go back and determine the injury wasn't severe, and charge a timeout.

Sep 9, 2013
I agree a player "too tired" to continue should be out until a change of possession. That addresses the safety issue, and keeps a star player from taking a breather for a play and delaying the offense, and then getting back on the field the next play.

It is comical though that you think players are out of shape because they get exhausted. pretty much anyone who has played sports realizes you can only run so many sprints at full speed before you get gassed. In times past, defenses had time to sub players, now they dont against spread offenses.

WVU also runs up tempo, and I have no issue whatsoever with players staying down if they are gassed to exhaustion. But, like many have said, they should have to sit out until a change of possession.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I see what you're saying. The point of all of this is to make things into a deterrent. To get them to stop doing it.

Sent from my Orange Power Koolaid glass.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I agree a player "too tired" to continue should be out until a change of possession. That addresses the safety issue, and keeps a star player from taking a breather for a play and delaying the offense, and then getting back on the field the next play.

It is comical though that you think players are out of shape because they get exhausted. pretty much anyone who has played sports realizes you can only run so many sprints at full speed before you get gassed. In times past, defenses had time to sub players, now they dont against spread offenses.

WVU also runs up tempo, and I have no issue whatsoever with players staying down if they are gassed to exhaustion. But, like many have said, they should have to sit out until a change of possession.
1542730215605.png