Your Grocery Store's Racist, You Just Didn't Know It

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-bastion-of-racism-others-see-it-differently/

To millions of shoppers, the supermarket is just a place to stock up on produce and pantry staples to keep the family fed. But to others, especially children of immigrants who may already feel pushed to the margins of the American mainstream, the supermarket can be just another place to experience the sting of their outsider status.

The sting occurs whenever they walk down the “ethnic” food aisle, the section of the supermarket that, to some, plays out like a remnant of the Jim Crow era, when laws established separate facilities for African Americans in the post-Reconstruction South. Sometimes known as the “international” food aisle, or even “Asian” and “Latino” aisles, these rows can come across to the shoppers they seemingly target as de facto segregation, another kind of “separate but equal” policy that marginalized African Americans for generations.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Wait, how can it be the last bastion of racism when supposedly racism is everywhere these days?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
NEWS RELEASE: KFC is doing away with the terms "dark" and "white" in relation to describing types of meat. When asked future KFC chickens were relieved that they would not be contributing to racist dining experiences as their forechickens have done.

Aug 16, 2012
See, now I always thought of it as entitlement. Why should one ethnic group have all the things they eat in one aisle while I have to wander around a see of crap to find what I want?

Oh, and they are cheaper items too. Taco shells, tortillas, beans, all much cheaper from the ethnic aisle than in the regular aisles. But that is just me appropriating their culture....

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
This writer is so full of s***. Yeah those sections are where all the prepackaged crap is. If I'm making burritos, fajitas, or some kind of stir fry dish, I'm getting better ingredients from all different sections of the store. Which is what I'm sure most of the actual ethnic people are doing also. They know how how to cook their foods better than using Old El Paso or Taco Bell brand crap.

This writer just had to crank out a story to look busy and have a hot take. Literally no one told them it stings to have to go to these sections of the store.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If one looks for racism...one will find it, in nearly everying...if one looks for inclusion in America...same thing. It's called confirmation bias, and this guy has it bad. Poor guy is actually running a good successful restaurant but can't seem to see that his differences, as with all of our differences, are always going to set us apart in one way or another in the cultures where we happen to live. We are always going to stand out or blend in (btw, this is a good thing)...we can either choose to embrace those differences or constantly be measurable. It's really a mindset...of course I'm not talking about blatant racism, but those who look for it on grocery store shelves or the most mundane of things. If Mr. Chang would think about it, he is profiting off of the fact that he is different...we all like different... If I moved to Portugal or Australia or Austria...I'm different and I can "profit" off of that difference (i.e. the curiosity factor)...in Oklahoma I'm just another white Okie. bottom line, this is one silly article and I think perhaps just for clicks and publicity.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
What a crock. If this so called ethnic food was mixed in among the rest of the food, the SJW's would instead be accusing the store of cultural appropriation or saying they were making it too hard for non-english speakers to find labels they could read. You can't win with SJW's....you can never please a group that has elevated being offended to the equivalency of sainthood....no matter what you do, they're going to be offended by it.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
When I lived in CT, i had to order a tortilla press from mexico to make reasonable tortillas myself. It took FOREVER to find lard in a grocery store. Their produce from warm states (e.g. cilantro, avocados) was horrible and expensive. And they sold no dry pinto beans. That state's grocer's were totally racist against southerners.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
See, now I always thought of it as entitlement. Why should one ethnic group have all the things they eat in one aisle while I have to wander around a see of crap to find what I want?

Oh, and they are cheaper items too. Taco shells, tortillas, beans, all much cheaper from the ethnic aisle than in the regular aisles. But that is just me appropriating their culture....
Don't forget the special vegan/organic sections. And kosher....

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
When I lived in CT, i had to order a tortilla press from mexico to make reasonable tortillas myself. It took FOREVER to find lard in a grocery store. Their produce from warm states (e.g. cilantro, avocados) was horrible and expensive. And they sold no dry pinto beans. That state's grocer's were totally racist against southerners.
When I took my son up to New Haven, he took me to the local "market". Like a mini sprouts and more expensive and the produce was very suspect. If he takes an Uber 2 miles right (or a bike) then there is a normal grocery store not geared towards millennials or Yale students. Told him to spend more time making shopping lists and go there to save money and get better ingredients.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-bastion-of-racism-others-see-it-differently/

To millions of shoppers, the supermarket is just a place to stock up on produce and pantry staples to keep the family fed. But to others, especially children of immigrants who may already feel pushed to the margins of the American mainstream, the supermarket can be just another place to experience the sting of their outsider status.

The sting occurs whenever they walk down the “ethnic” food aisle, the section of the supermarket that, to some, plays out like a remnant of the Jim Crow era, when laws established separate facilities for African Americans in the post-Reconstruction South. Sometimes known as the “international” food aisle, or even “Asian” and “Latino” aisles, these rows can come across to the shoppers they seemingly target as de facto segregation, another kind of “separate but equal” policy that marginalized African Americans for generations.
So, to get back, the Asians in Oklahoma City built their own supermarket, complete with fake palm trees outside to add to the atmosphere.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
When I took my son up to New Haven, he took me to the local "market". Like a mini sprouts and more expensive and the produce was very suspect. If he takes an Uber 2 miles right (or a bike) then there is a normal grocery store not geared towards millennials or Yale students. Told him to spend more time making shopping lists and go there to save money and get better ingredients.

Yeah - Stop N Shop, Shoprite even Whole Paycheck.. the produce in the NE sucks ballz unless you want root vegetables. So much happier in TX.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Wait, how can it be the last bastion of racism when supposedly racism is everywhere these days?

I turn on the TV and hear someone screaming "We need to be able to address the issue of racism in America!" I change the channel and hear "we need to be able to talk about race!" One more channel change and I hear "We need to not be afraid to address the racial tension in society today!"

I put on "Worlds Dumbest" and watch a kid put a pop bottle rocket in his ass.

Last edited: