Your "First-10" Ring of Honor Nominees?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I hear and understand the reservations regarding Blackmon.

But consider:
- There have been 26 Biletnikoff awards to the best WR of the year.
- Only two receivers are 2-time winners; Crabtree and Blackmon.
- You could make the argument that those two are the best college receivers of the last 1/4 century.
- Based only on his performance while wearing an OSU uniform, I put Blackmon on my list.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
And while we're on this subject, its time that we retire Leslie O'Neal's number. He was just recently admitted to the College FB Hall of Fame. Our other 3 College FB Members have retired numbers.

Retiring Leslie's number needs to happen in conjunction with his Ring of Honor selection.

Mar 8, 2010
And while we're on this subject, its time that we retire Leslie O'Neal's number. He was just recently admitted to the College FB Hall of Fame. Our other 3 College FB Members have retired numbers.

Retiring Leslie's number needs to happen in conjunction with his Ring of Honor selection.
The next five in order should be Barry, Terry, Leslie, Fenimore and Moore. And let’s not forget Ernest Anderson and eventually Walt Garrison who was a trifecta Cowboy (OSU, Dallas & Rodeo)

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
In order of when they were students as far as I can remember

Thomas (already in)

Fenimore
Miller
O'Neal
Barry
Gundy
Dykes
McQuarters
Blackmon
Weeden

I'd be cool replacing Blackmon and Weeden with players from an earlier era (say Kevin Williams for Weeden), but they are close to 10 years since their playing days here so I feel they aren't recent guys anymore.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
For me, Hall of Famers go first:

Thurman Thomas
Barry Sanders
Bob Fenimore (CFB HOF)
Leslie O'Neal (CFB HOF)
Lynn "Pappy" Waldorf (CFB HOF)
Jimmy Johnson (Pro FB HOF, CFB HOF)

Then, I'm going to the remaining players who were multiple-time first-team All-Americans by NCAA-recognized selectors:

Terry Miller
Mark Moore
Rashaun Woods
Kendall Hunter
Justin Blackmon
Quinn Sharp

Digging deeper on the HOF track, I'd also personally consider two guys with only above-average college careers but a great deal of success up north:

Earl Lunsford (Canadian FB HOF)
Rodney Harding (Canadian FB HOF)

And then I'm stopping. John Corker is in the Arena Football HOF, and would be in a USFL HOF if one existed, but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
People suggesting Dykes? Seriously?

Because of him OSU got the closest thing to the SMU death penalty you can get.

The NCAA granted Dykes immunity after he complied with an investigation during his recruitment process.

This allowed the NCAA to detail a reported bidding war between OSU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Illinois, which OSU won by reportedly paying Dykes $23,000.

The four schools ended up on probation, and OSU eventually received a three-year bowl ban among other sanctions.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I don't know how anyone can leave Rashaun off the list. I know we've had better athletes at the position, but he was the best pure receiver to ever play here IMO. Beat OU twice when they were national title contenders as well.
I think that people also forget that he holds the D1 record for most TD receptions in a game, which is a pretty big deal, IMO.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I hear and understand the reservations regarding Blackmon.

But consider:
- There have been 26 Biletnikoff awards to the best WR of the year.
- Only two receivers are 2-time winners; Crabtree and Blackmon.
- You could make the argument that those two are the best college receivers of the last 1/4 century.
- Based only on his performance while wearing an OSU uniform, I put Blackmon on my list.
I just used my own criteria you referenced in the OP, which includes the requirement they represent the university well off the field. Going by your last bullet point above, I agree.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
There needs to be about a 10 year cool-off period following the player/coaches last season at OSU.

We have several obvious choices that need to happen first. That list is about 5-6 long.
I agree with the 10 year idea.
I just used my own criteria you referenced in the OP, which includes the requirement they represent the university well off the field. Going by your last bullet point above, I agree.
While I agree with the off field criteria, I think it is somewhat subjective. Blackmon had/has his personal issues that forfeited his nfl career, but I don't think they really cast osu or even Blackmon himself in a harsh negative light. To me, self-destructive addiction (though it usually involves illegal behaviors) is far different from violent illegal behaviors. Most of America, if they remember him at all, think only of Blackmon as an NFL flop. I believe most OSU fans remember Blackmon as an unbelievably terrific college player and a good kid who couldn't control his addiction.

I fully believe he should be in the Ring after a proper waiting period, and I personally would have him in the top 10. But I understand those who don't agree.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
I don't think he has the accolades, but I think Dez Bryant is one of the best football players to wear the orange and white.

I'd stop at 5 for a while.

Thurman
Barry
Fenimore
O'Neal
Miller

6th I'd probably go Weeden for the one Gundy era player in 2031 celebrating the 20 year anniversary of the 2011 team.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
OSU has recognized others with similar problems to Justin Blackmon.

I think Blackmon is the only two time concensus All-American at OSU.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
This is a good list other than Miller.

I'd add both or either Kolb or Okung. And then add J. Blackmon to the list.
Terry Miller was a two time All American who finished 2nd in the 1977 Heisman Trophy race and 4th in the 1976 Heisman race. He was drafted 5th overall in 1978. He was the star of our only Big 8 Title.

Nov 8, 2013
Including Jimmy Johnson (only 5 of 19 years head coaching with us) and Pappy Waldorf (only 5 of 31 years head coaching with us) in our RofH is not a good idea. I would not even consider them.

My minimum no-brainer list in addition to Thurman is Barry, Fenimore, O'Neal, Miller, and Blackmon.

Once Gundy retires, he is another no-brainer (for both playing and coaching careers). I did not realize Quinn Sharp was our only 3x AA. He would be an interesting inclusion as a ST player. I also support Armstrong, Moore, Woods, Okung, Hunter, Weeden, and Washington. Moore and Weeden are interesting and controversial inclusions on this list, since they were not consensus All-Americans.

It gets more dicey for me with other consensus All-Americans like Adcock, R Brown, Dez, Dykes, Gilbert, Gofourth, Hubbard, Mayes, and Ward (I got the list here: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/all-america.html).

Then we have other big names either from season or career stats at OSU or notable professional careers - Garrison, Pettigrew, K Williams, Rudolph, etc. Kind of hard to include them unless we are going really big with the RoH.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm not so hot on Rudolph and Hart Lee. Not to take away their talent, but I'd think they, like Rashaun Woods, were great, but not ROH worthy.
Dude, Rudolph holds Oklahoma State records in career passing, single season passing, single game passing, single season touchdowns, and career touchdowns. He's our single season, total career, and single game total touchdown leader. He beats out Barry Sanders by five touchdowns on single season touchdowns. His single season numbers in 2017 beats out Weeden's 2011 single season passing yards. His single game passing record beats out Weeden's by 40 yards. Not only does he deserve it, he is kind of the high bar in terms of QB's to ever play for us. I think he also has the most career victories of any QB for us. He's an easy add to the ring of honor and likely in the first 10 guys. As far as Hart, maybe he should be later due to the trouble he got us in.

It's interesting how many people don't know how important Mason was to our program and how big his years and his personal numbers were. He holds almost all the passing and touchdown records, season, single game, and career.