Yosemite, San Fran and Napa

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Planning an anniversary trip and I"m welcoming any tips or recommendations from anyone who has been there. Plan is to start in Sacremento and go to wine country for a couple days, then over to San Fran for a couple days, then over to Sequoia and/or Yosemite for the rest of the time. I'm definitely going to hit Muir Woods en route to San Fran, but the rest is pretty much up for suggestion. I've seen the sequoias before, but my wife hasn't, but that is pretty far south in comparison to Yosemite, and I tend to try to cram too much geography into trips like this. I might also add the trip is going to be in the latter part of October. and the wife and I would like to do some moderate hikes throughout the park. Any input appreciated.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
We did a similar trip several years ago, but flew into Reno, rented a car...drove to San Francisco for a couple of days (went to Muir Woods and Stinson Beach while there plus hit the other regular places one sees in San Fran) ....Drove to Yosemite for a couple of days. We stayed in Mariposa outside the park and drove in and hiked the Valley Floor and the Redwood forest. Then drove all the way through the park and around to Lake Tahoe for a couple of days and then back to Reno to hop a flight home. Absolutely loved that trip, but we were supposed to arrive in Reno the first day on a Sunday night but we were having storms at the time so our Sunday afternoon flight got canceled out of Tulsa, then on Monday after making it to Dallas, our flight from Dallas to Reno got cancelled. So we lost a day and a half. Then had to cram everything into a shortened window. It was a ton of driving in that loop from Reno to Ca. back to Reno. I want to do that trip again with the right amount of time to do it.

Side note: I sat in a Mexican restaurant drinking a pitcher of margaritas in Lake Tahoe and watched OSU and Zac Robinson lose to Troy. I was so mad. The game thread of that Troy game on this board should have me posting from there.

Nov 6, 2010
We did a similar trip several years ago, but flew into Reno, rented a car...drove to San Francisco for a couple of days (went to Muir Woods and Stinson Beach while there plus hit the other regular places one sees in San Fran) ....Drove to Yosemite for a couple of days. We stayed in Mariposa outside the park and drove in and hiked the Valley Floor and the Redwood forest. Then drove all the way through the park and around to Lake Tahoe for a couple of days and then back to Reno to hop a flight home. Absolutely loved that trip, but we were supposed to arrive in Reno the first day on a Sunday night but we were having storms at the time so our Sunday afternoon flight got canceled out of Tulsa, then on Monday after making it to Dallas, our flight from Dallas to Reno got cancelled. So we lost a day and a half. Then had to cram everything into a shortened window. It was a ton of driving in that loop from Reno to Ca. back to Reno. I want to do that trip again with the right amount of time to do it.

Side note: I sat in a Mexican restaurant drinking a pitcher of margaritas in Lake Tahoe and watched OSU and Zac Robinson lose to Troy. I was so mad. The game thread of that Troy game on this board should have me posting from there.
Yea, I always end up trying to do too much on those type trips. I"ve done the Reno to San Fran thing before, but went north to Redding instead of the southern plan like this time. I wonder what the chances are of even being able to do any of that stuff this fall are?? Read that Yosemite is already operating on a reservation basis.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Yosemite is great. Though if you plan to stay in their canvas tents bring a battery powered fan and shower shoes. Mariposa grove of big trees is amazing. There is what I call the back way out of Yosemite up to the north and east and then you can go back down south to Vegas. I will say the last time we drove that road my yougest got sick and even the wife was a little nauseous as it is quite curvy up and down and undulating. But once past all that part of the road it is a straight shot south to Vegas.

Nov 6, 2010
Yosemite is great. Though if you plan to stay in their canvas tents bring a battery powered fan and shower shoes. Mariposa grove of big trees is amazing. There is what I call the back way out of Yosemite up to the north and east and then you can go back down south to Vegas. I will say the last time we drove that road my yougest got sick and even the wife was a little nauseous as it is quite curvy up and down and undulating. But once past all that part of the road it is a straight shot south to Vegas.
I plan to go back to Reno, but I assume the same principle applies.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I don't know if San Fran will be open to indoor dining by the time you all get there, but it is a fantastic food town. Hit me up for recommendations when you get closer to going. Muir Woods is way worth it, and Sausalito is a great place to hang out for a morning or afternoon.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Planning an anniversary trip and I"m welcoming any tips or recommendations from anyone who has been there. Plan is to start in Sacremento and go to wine country for a couple days, then over to San Fran for a couple days, then over to Sequoia and/or Yosemite for the rest of the time. I'm definitely going to hit Muir Woods en route to San Fran, but the rest is pretty much up for suggestion. I've seen the sequoias before, but my wife hasn't, but that is pretty far south in comparison to Yosemite, and I tend to try to cram too much geography into trips like this. I might also add the trip is going to be in the latter part of October. and the wife and I would like to do some moderate hikes throughout the park. Any input appreciated.
You have to have a reservation just to enter Yosemite, Oct passes go on sale on Sept 1st. You have to enter on the exact date you reserve (even though it’s a 7 day re-entry pass), if you don’t you lose your reservation and with it the right to enter at all. You cannot drive through the park without a reservation/pass, normally I’d suggest flying into Reno but since 120/Tioga is closed to thru traffic (reservation only) you’d have a hekuva drive ahead of you.
Muir Woods is reservation only you need to make those reservations as far in advance as possible.
One thing to consider for Muir Woods is uber or lyft.
In terms of wine country, wine tasting is all reservation only as well.
I’d recommend skipping Napa and heading to Santa Rosa / Healdsburg not as many people better experience and better wine. I don’t drink right now but I took my wife and a couple of friends on a tasting tour earlier this month not too many people and the vintners were extremely personable.

Now is not the time to visit SF, point of fact, there may never be another good time to visit SF but definitely the next 6 mos would be a waste of your hard earned money. Further south Carmel and Monterey, much better.

Wife and I are headed to Yosemite for a week coming up, so all this is recent

Nov 6, 2010
You have to have a reservation just to enter Yosemite, Oct passes go on sale on Sept 1st. You have to enter on the exact date you reserve (even though it’s a 7 day re-entry pass), if you don’t you lose your reservation and with it the right to enter at all. You cannot drive through the park without a reservation/pass, normally I’d suggest flying into Reno but since 120/Tioga is closed to thru traffic (reservation only) you’d have a hekuva drive ahead of you.
Muir Woods is reservation only you need to make those reservations as far in advance as possible.
One thing to consider for Muir Woods is uber or lyft.
In terms of wine country, wine tasting is all reservation only as well.
I’d recommend skipping Napa and heading to Santa Rosa / Healdsburg not as many people better experience and better wine. I don’t drink right now but I took my wife and a couple of friends on a tasting tour earlier this month not too many people and the vintners were extremely personable.

Now is not the time to visit SF, point of fact, there may never be another good time to visit SF but definitely the next 6 mos would be a waste of your hard earned money. Further south Carmel and Monterey, much better.

Wife and I are headed to Yosemite for a week coming up, so all this is recent
Can you clarify your statement on 120 being closed to thru traffic?? Do you mean even if you have a Yosemite reservation, you can't drive all the way through?

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Can you clarify your statement on 120 being closed to thru traffic?? Do you mean even if you have a Yosemite reservation, you can't drive all the way through?
Tioga may not be passable at all depending on weather but I am referring to the reservation system. To enter Yosemite at all you have to have a valid reservation/pass and unless you enter on the prescribed day your reservation/pass is invalid. If you have a valid reservation/pass you can drive thru the park.
You have 7 days of entry - exit, with your pass.
Alternately you can head south