Wyoming version of Pistol Pete

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Here at the University of California, San Diego I was walking across campus and saw a Pistol Pete face on the back of a hat but I thought the colors looked weird. The closer I got the more I could see it was a brown hat and Pete was yellow. Walked past the guy and front of the hat had Wyoming. Since when did they use Pistol Pete?

Jul 8, 2006
norman
I knew New Mexico State had a real similar Pete colors and all. I thought Wyoming had a different Cowboy. Plus, they used to have a bucking Bronco on there helmets I believe. They've always had a hideous brown and yellow color scheme....

Jan 20, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Just the other day a coworker (in Colorado) had a very faded white Pistol Pete hat on and I assumed it was OSU. That same day another guy had an ou shirt on (he's from Nebraska so I was confused). Nebraska guy was wearing ou shirt because he knew it might get ruined that day and it was a joke gift from Oklahoma family. I appreciated that. But the Pete hat was indeed Wyoming.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Here at the University of California, San Diego I was walking across campus and saw a Pistol Pete face on the back of a hat but I thought the colors looked weird. The closer I got the more I could see it was a brown hat and Pete was yellow. Walked past the guy and front of the hat had Wyoming. Since when did they use Pistol Pete?
Wyoming's been using Pistol Pete for a very long time - since at least the '60s. Actually, they filed a trademark application on him before we did, which led to some legal issues for a while back in the late '80s-early '90s.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Oklahoma City, OK
Wyoming's been using Pistol Pete for a very long time - since at least the '60s. Actually, they filed a trademark application on him before we did, which led to some legal issues for a while back in the late '80s-early '90s.
I would guess early 80's since we trademarked it in 1984.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
My gosh, can any of you do a simple internet search? A portion of the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_Pete_(Oklahoma_State_University)
Pistol Pete is the athletics mascot of Oklahoma State University. In the past, New Mexico State University and the University of Wyoming have both used mascots based on the original Oklahoma State "Pistol Pete" caricature artwork; however both schools have subsequently revised their Pistol Pete mascots so that they no longer resemble Oklahoma State's Pistol Pete. The Pistol Pete mascot costume features traditional cowboy attire and a headpiece resembling Frank Eaton. Pistol Pete has been the mascot for the Oklahoma State Cowboys since 1923.
Around 1923, when Oklahoma A&M College was searching for a new mascot to replace their tiger (which had been copied from Princetonand accounts for the orange and black school colors), a group of students saw Frank Eaton leading Stillwater's Armistice Day Parade. He was approached to see if he would be interested in being the model for the new mascot, and he agreed. A likeness was drawn and began to be used on sweatshirts, stickers, etc. and a tradition was born. That caricature was the basis for what is used today as the official Oklahoma State University mascot. For thirty-five years, the crusty old cowboy was a living symbol of OSU, representing the colorful past of the area. As such, he would attend OSU athletic events, building dedications, etc., and sign autographs, pose for photographs and reminisce about the American Old Westwith anyone who would listen. In more recent years, the University of Wyoming and New Mexico State Universitybegan using variations of OSU's artwork as logos for their schools. To this day, his likeness is a visible reminder of the Old West to literally millions of people yearly as a symbol of colleges whose mascots pay homage to the cowboy.

However, it was not until 1958 that "Pistol Pete" was adopted as the school's mascot. The familiar caricature of "Pistol Pete" was officially sanctioned in 1984 by Oklahoma State University as a licensed symbol.

Last edited:

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Well, well. I always assumed the Pistol Pete caricature was an OSU creation - a caricature of Frank Eaton. Now I wonder.
Wonder no more. Pistol Pete is based on Frank "Pistol Pete" Eaton. Other schools (Wyoming, New Mexico State, etc) using the logo doesn't keep it from being Frank.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Around 1923, when Oklahoma A&M College was searching for a new mascot to replace their tiger (which had been copied from Princetonand accounts for the orange and black school colors), a group of students saw Frank Eaton leading Stillwater's Sheep Parade. He was approached to see if he would be interested in being the model for the new mascot, and he agreed. A likeness was drawn and began to be used on sweatshirts, stickers, etc. and a tradition was born. That caricature was the basis for what is used today as the official Oklahoma State University mascot. For thirty-five years, the crusty old cowboy was a living symbol of OSU, representing the colorful past of the area. As such, he would attend OSU athletic events, building dedications, etc., and sign autographs, pose for photographs and reminisce about the American Old Westwith anyone who would listen. In more recent years, the University of Wyoming and New Mexico State Universitybegan using variations of OSU's artwork as logos for their schools. To this day, his likeness is a visible reminder of the Old West to literally millions of people yearly as a symbol of colleges whose mascots pay homage to the cowboy.

Mar 8, 2010
Pistol Pete and the caricature is an OSU original. Our marketing folks were very naïve and just dropped the ball and let NMSU and Wyoming steal it. Both schools obviously have no pride. It is still identical to the original Pete, except for the colors. Surprised Texas Tech hasn't accused us of stealing it from NMSU and Wyoming!

Sep 22, 2007
Piedmont
My gosh, can any of you do a simple internet search? A portion of the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_Pete_(Oklahoma_State_University)
Pistol Pete is the athletics mascot of Oklahoma State University. In the past, New Mexico State University and the University of Wyoming have both used mascots based on the original Oklahoma State "Pistol Pete" caricature artwork; however both schools have subsequently revised their Pistol Pete mascots so that they no longer resemble Oklahoma State's Pistol Pete. The Pistol Pete mascot costume features traditional cowboy attire and a headpiece resembling Frank Eaton. Pistol Pete has been the mascot for the Oklahoma State Cowboys since 1923.
Around 1923, when Oklahoma A&M College was searching for a new mascot to replace their tiger (which had been copied from Princetonand accounts for the orange and black school colors), a group of students saw Frank Eaton leading Stillwater's Sheep Parade. He was approached to see if he would be interested in being the model for the new mascot, and he agreed. A likeness was drawn and began to be used on sweatshirts, stickers, etc. and a tradition was born. That caricature was the basis for what is used today as the official Oklahoma State University mascot. For thirty-five years, the crusty old cowboy was a living symbol of OSU, representing the colorful past of the area. As such, he would attend OSU athletic events, building dedications, etc., and sign autographs, pose for photographs and reminisce about the American Old Westwith anyone who would listen. In more recent years, the University of Wyoming and New Mexico State Universitybegan using variations of OSU's artwork as logos for their schools. To this day, his likeness is a visible reminder of the Old West to literally millions of people yearly as a symbol of colleges whose mascots pay homage to the cowboy.

However, it was not until 1958 that "Pistol Pete" was adopted as the school's mascot. The familiar caricature of "Pistol Pete" was officially sanctioned in 1984 by Oklahoma State University as a licensed symbol.
Good gosh what OU moron jacked up the Wikipedia entry? Everyone knows it was the Armistice Day Parade. Obviously someone who is obsessed with sheep and hates the military...

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Neither Wyoming nor NMSU use the "Pete" caricature as their current logo. But, you do see it on some older items and throwbacks. The easiest way to tell, even in black and white, is that Wyoming had "Cowboys" written on his hat brim and NMSU had conchos on his chaps, whereas our Pete was free of both.

Back before licensing regulations, it was not at all unusual for different schools to use the same mascot caricature. Very similar logos such as Eagles, Indians, and definitely Tigers were shared by multiple schools. It's not limited to our beloved Pete. We do own him now though!