WVU V Cowboys-The tale of the tape

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
WVU was picked anywhere from 7th to last preseason. That may yet be true, but the strength of the team is the dline.

1. Dline WVU has 3 future NFL starters on its dline, and possibly a fourth. That includes Darius Sills, the consensus Big 12 defensive player of the year, his brother Dante, a 4 star recruit, van Cowan, a 4 or 5 star recruit depending on the service, and jeffery pooler, a 3 star who has exceeded all expectations.

2. lb, a weakness last year, will be improved by getting all the injured players back, plus adding Tony Fields, a pac 12 wrecking ball from arizona. Some said Fields was the best defensive transfer on the market, and he's a good one in the middle where WVU needed the most help. WVU has all of its lbs back from last season, and most of the starters you saw in morgantown last year will be on the bench this time around.

3. CBS-both gone, both on nfl rosters. could be a weak spot. wvu hit the transfer market here.

4. safety-will be a strength. Added a starting safety from arizona for depth.

My grade of WVU defense in big 12: likely top 3. There may not be a better dline in college football. The corners are a worry, but qbs wont have much time to find wrs deep.

OSU offense. Talent wise at skill positions? Second to none. Mobile qb, best rb in college football, and 2 wrs i wouldnt trade for anyone else. Stoner can also return well in special teams. Last year this same offense scored a 20-13 win over WVU, but this defense is rested, and will be much better. OSU may get 24, but i see that as a ceiling.

WVU offense. WVU was 129 out of 130 teams rushing the football in 2019. The worst oline in the big 12 lost a 5th round draft pick, leaving little behind. WVU started a true freshman center in its opener, and has highly touted but inexperienced players across the entire front. Tried for JUCO help, didnt get it. Oline will be a strength in a couple of years, but for now it's Kansas level. WVU has a solid qb, and good skill people. Question is can line open a crease for leddie brown, or will he be getting hit behind the los?

Cowboy defense is salty. 10 starters back. They were good most of 2019, but fell apart against OU and Texas tech. WVU's offense doesnt resemble either of those 2 teams(the 2019 versions). I dont see WVU scoring many points at all. without turnovers from the defense or ST plays, WVU's offense may not exceed the 13 it got last year.

Prediction: OSU 24 WVU 17. Low scoring contest where both offenses look ugly.

If a true freshman starts for OSU saturday, there will be turnovers. WVU 38 OSU 17
I realize he was highly rated in high school, was great against Tulsa, but being hit by WVU's dline all game is going to rattle him.

2019 stats
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401112128

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Well I’m glad you threw in that last prediction based on the true freshman starting, because I would not be as confident if you had picked us. Now that you picked WVU, because the freshmen will likely start due to sanders injury...I like us even more. I think it’s going to be Something like 34-14 or 31-21 Oklahoma State with our freshman starting. We had a rough first outing...but we know the future now and it’s a Rudolph / Weeden sequel IMHO. Btw our back up RB outplayed our Heisman candidate yesterday. I think our mobile QB is out for some weeks...hope he heals up quickly

Sep 9, 2013
Rack, with all due respect, unless your oline improves dramatically a qb without serious wheels is going to spend the entire game running for his life.

OSU may win, but it wont sniff 30 points.
WVU did a good job stuffing your running game last season until gundy started getting the ball to Chubba on short passes beyond the dline. WVU didnt have the lbs to stop it last year, this year they do.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
So why wouldn't we gameplan around weak corners and a strong d line by using screens and quick slants and take the d line out of the picture. I know that's what I would do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
WVU was picked anywhere from 7th to last preseason. That may yet be true, but the strength of the team is the dline.

1. Dline WVU has 3 future NFL starters on its dline, and possibly a fourth. That includes Darius Sills, the consensus Big 12 defensive player of the year, his brother Dante, a 4 star recruit, van Cowan, a 4 or 5 star recruit depending on the service, and jeffery pooler, a 3 star who has exceeded all expectations.

2. lb, a weakness last year, will be improved by getting all the injured players back, plus adding Tony Fields, a pac 12 wrecking ball from arizona. Some said Fields was the best defensive transfer on the market, and he's a good one in the middle where WVU needed the most help. WVU has all of its lbs back from last season, and most of the starters you saw in morgantown last year will be on the bench this time around.

3. CBS-both gone, both on nfl rosters. could be a weak spot. wvu hit the transfer market here.

My grade of WVU defense in big 12: likely top 3. There may not be a better dline in college football. The corners are a worry, but qbs wont have much time to find wrs deep.

OSU offense. Talent wise at skill positions? Second to none. Mobile qb, best rb in college football, and 2 wrs i wouldnt trade for anyone else. Stoner can also return well in special teams. Last year this same offense scored a 20-13 win over WVU, but this defense is rested, and will be much better. OSU may get 24, but i see that as a ceiling.

WVU offense. WVU was 129 out of 130 teams rushing the football in 2019. The worst oline in the big 12 lost a 5th round draft pick, leaving little behind. WVU started a true freshman center in its opener, and has highly touted but inexperienced players across the entire front. Tried for JUCO help, didnt get it. Oline will be a strength in a couple of years, but for now it's Kansas level. WVU has a solid qb, and good skill people. Question is can line open a crease for leddie brown, or will he be getting hit behind the los?

Cowboy defense is salty. 10 starters back. They were good most of 2019, but fell apart against OU and Texas tech. WVU's offense doesnt resemble either of those 2 teams(the 2019 versions). I dont see WVU scoring many points at all. without turnovers from the defense or ST plays, WVU's offense may not exceed the 13 it got last year.

If a true freshman starts for OSU saturday, there will be turnovers. WVU 38 OSU 17
I realize he was highly rated in high school, was great against Tulsa, but being hit by WVU's dline all game is going to rattle him.

2019 stats
This is not a tale of the tape, you can’t call it that unless you clip something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
This is not a tale of the tape, you can’t call it that unless you clip something

https://saturday-tailgate.com/oklah...Zw24O7XFMrglkM3qR_TPbDhPGLViFj8QRqusdabfew0BM

Cowboys are favored, and rightfully so.

West Virginia is facing off against Oklahoma State on Saturday afternoon in a game that will kickoff at 3:30pm ET on ABC. The Mountaineers looked good in their season opening win over Eastern Kentucky, while the Cowboys struggled to beat Tulsa, and may have an injury at quarterback. Las Vegas took all of that information into account and released the odds for the game, making Oklahoma State and eight-point favorite with the over/under set at 54.5 points, per William Hill Sports Book.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007

2019 stats
Plus everyone on the team is able to run 90 mph!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

https://saturday-tailgate.com/oklah...Zw24O7XFMrglkM3qR_TPbDhPGLViFj8QRqusdabfew0BM

Cowboys are favored, and rightfully so.

West Virginia is facing off against Oklahoma State on Saturday afternoon in a game that will kickoff at 3:30pm ET on ABC. The Mountaineers looked good in their season opening win over Eastern Kentucky, while the Cowboys struggled to beat Tulsa, and may have an injury at quarterback. Las Vegas took all of that information into account and released the odds for the game, making Oklahoma State and eight-point favorite with the over/under set at 54.5 points, per William Hill Sports Book.
None of this is tape. Plenty of free gif makers on the internet, go back to the game last year, clip something that will show me how it’ll be different.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Rack, with all due respect, unless your oline improves dramatically a qb without serious wheels is going to spend the entire game running for his life.

OSU may win, but it wont sniff 30 points.
WVU did a good job stuffing your running game last season until gundy started getting the ball to Chubba on short passes beyond the dline. WVU didnt have the lbs to stop it last year, this year they do.
Lets just say I have a feeling about this QB and the quick outs and running game being MUCH MUCH MUCH improved after practice this week. Having a passing game plan will get the ball to our best position group quickly and let them do what they do. We beat you guys with a back up QB last year and without our best, IMHO, player (Wallace) and I think we will again...only this time I don't think our back up is going to remain in that status after next Saturday (I could be 100% wrong, but I like being optimistic). I do think we score over 30 because we will get some points from our defense on a pick six and/or a blocked punt return for TD. Good teams typically bounce back after bad performances, (offensively anyway the defense played better than it has in years) and we finished strong in that game. We have too many weapons on this team that we didn't use yesterday. They are going to put in the work and make sure we don't come in half awake again. I expect a much different type of game out of our offense. Are you coming to the game? We are allowing visitors.

If you do, have a great trip...otherwise enjoy the game on the couch, just not too much when you lose...hopefully.

Sep 9, 2013
None of this is tape. Plenty of free gif makers on the internet, go back to the game last year, clip something that will show me how it’ll be different.

Well, the only "tape" i guess is the E ky tape. They are not much, so a gif of wvu's defense or offense against them proves nothing.

WVU was missing so many starters last season when we played OSU. Kstate and TCU as well, but we managed to win those on the road.

Doege, the present starter for WVU is 3-1. You guys were his only loss. I think he's better, but i have little optimism about our offense. Our defense is the real deal. if the corners are decent, WVU may have the best d youll face all year.

We will see on Saturday. Hope the game doesnt get cancelled.

Oct 30, 2007
Take of the tape. Wvu vaunted best DL to ever walk into a football field, gives up 200+ rushing to an OL that has more people on it we have never heard of than ones that we have.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
If I was going to confidence rank the second year big 12 coaches:
1. Klieman
2. Neal Brown
3. Les
4. Matt Wells

Les is #1 and the other three are interchangeable although I think it's fair to have Klieman as no 2 because twice now he's beaten the team no one else in the conference can.

Brown and Wells had success with G5 schools but translating that success to P5 is a crapshoot. Many coaches haven't been able to translate succrss to the next level and so far neither has been that impressive.