WVU at oSu Baseball Friday

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I've been generous this year. I like the team. But I'll just say it. Zero consistency. None. We might get hot and win a regional, but I'm just not seeing even close to the consistency needed to make a serious run to Omaha. Hope I'm wrong.
Based on Sagarin rankings there is only one team in the nation that has more top 50 wins than OSU, and that's UCLA. And OSU has played the 9th toughest schedule in the country.

Oct 30, 2007
Based on Sagarin rankings there is only one team in the nation that has more top 50 wins than OSU, and that's UCLA. And OSU has played the 9th toughest schedule in the country.
yes, we are capable of beating good teams. However, Ptak is saying enough consistency to win games in sequence and that is our problem. We might go out and beat the #1 team in the nation in game one, but if you cannot win the next two you are into the losers bracket and fighting for your life. I am afraid we just do not have enough pitching to make a deep run, thus, the bats have to get real hot at the right time. We know this team will fight hard, but they have rarely been able to complete sweeps even against very bad competition (KSU, WVU, KU, Baylor).

going to have to hit our way into a super and hopefully on from there.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Once again too much overthinking instead of going with a proven out getter late in a close game.
Considering 99.9% of baseball at any level does this I think it was more underthinking actually.

Personally, maybe he should have gone with Glover but again I didn't see the game yesterday so I don't know who was available. Obviously Cobb got the next guy but there was no guarantee be gets the lefty.

Feb 4, 2004
Another bad loss to go with the Kansas debacle. Simply cannot play routine fly balls and singles into triples, continual past balls, bad throws, not getting pitchers on the mound who are out producers regardless of which hand they throw with, bad at-bats against sub par pitching. They have played themselves out of a conference championship, national seed and possible regional host. Very, very disappointing TEAM performance.
As Ptak noted the lack of consistent play is possibly the most concerning part of this group. It is going to be very important to locate players to upgrade several positions by next season.

Last edited:

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Another bad loss to go with the Kansas debacle. Simply cannot play routine fly balls and singles into triples, continual past balls, bad throws, not getting pitchers on the mound who are out producers regardless of which hand they throw with, bad at-bats against sub par pitching. They have played themselves out of a conference championship, national seed and possible regional host. Very, very disappointing TEAM performance.
As Ptak noted the lack of consistent play is possibly the most concerning part of this group. It is going to be very important to locate players to upgrade several positions by next season.
Class half empty type of a guy?

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Lol OK dude.

Feb 4, 2004
Considering 99.9% of baseball at any level does this I think it was more underthinking actually.

Personally, maybe he should have gone with Glover but again I didn't see the game yesterday so I don't know who was available. Obviously Cobb got the next guy but there was no guarantee be gets the lefty.
Based on what I read(was at work and couldn't listen) we chose to go with a lefty-lefty or righty matchup with Cobb in the bullpen. If that was not the case, then you are probably correct. Don't know who was thrown but Cobb has shown the ability to get both lefties and righties in critical situations.

Feb 4, 2004
Class half empty type of a guy?
Not at all. But I am not afraid to recognize poor play when it happens. I also recognize that right now the best options we have may be out there. Injury situation is just a frustrating and plays a part in it all.

Last edited:

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
The way Rex was talking it sounds like if there is much more rain the rest of the series could be cancelled. He said the field can't handle more water.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
yes, we are capable of beating good teams. However, Ptak is saying enough consistency to win games in sequence and that is our problem. We might go out and beat the #1 team in the nation in game one, but if you cannot win the next two you are into the losers bracket and fighting for your life. I am afraid we just do not have enough pitching to make a deep run, thus, the bats have to get real hot at the right time. We know this team will fight hard, but they have rarely been able to complete sweeps even against very bad competition (KSU, WVU, KU, Baylor).

going to have to hit our way into a super and hopefully on from there.
In Big 12 games when win we average 7.3 runs and give up 2.7 runs. In Big 12 games when lose we average 2.6 runs and give up 4.4 runs.

Hitting might be a bigger problem than pitching in those games we're losing.....

In four Big 12 losses the opp scored 4 runs or fewer in 4 of those 8 games.

In the 14 big 12 games we've won we scored 4 or fewer points (3) only twice!

In fact in every big 12 game but two (3 and 4 runs) we scored 6 points or more! If we score 6 points or more in those 8 games we've lost we only lose one big 12 game!

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
In Big 12 games when win we average 7.3 runs and give up 2.7 runs. In Big 12 games when lose we average 2.6 runs and give up 4.4 runs.

Hitting might be a bigger problem than pitching in those games we're losing.....

In four Big 12 losses the opp scored 4 runs or fewer in 4 of those 8 games.

In the 14 big 12 games we've won we scored 4 or fewer points (3) only twice!

In fact in every big 12 game but two (3 and 4 runs) we scored 6 points or more! If we score 6 points or more in those 8 games we've lost we only lose one big 12 game!
Exactly. Stats don't tell everything especially in a game as quirky as baseball, but this particular one has played out pretty evidently all season long with this team.

It's easy to pick on the pitchers - or one pitcher - and forget that we didn't hit the baseball for squat yesterday/today outside of one inning. And that against a WV staff that hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. We can jump on Garrett Williams for giving up a double to their best hitter, but what about a 5th year senior who strands the tying run at second because, after four years, he still can't hit (or lay off) a curveball down and in? IMO, we have some gaudy offensive numbers, but we can go from scary good at the plate to 3 easy outs almost from inning-to-inning.

At the same time, we fans (myself very much included) should remember that this is still a pretty young team and inconsistency is often the mark of youth in college baseball. And one thing that I give this staff credit for is that they let the young guys face those big situations. You have to feel like that pays dividends down the road for kids like Chappell and Littel.

Last edited:

MT Cowboy

'S Go
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2013
CO
Anyone have updates on if/when the game is going to start? I hope the weather holds off, I don't want to sit through this entire commencement without a game to watch

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Anyone else watching the radar(s)?

Been checking out weather.com and KFOR radars.

Looks like one more line of thunderstorms southwest of OKC area moving northeast.

Unless something else develops, I would guess those thunderstorms moving thru Stillwater by the 2:30-3pm area.

Don't see them starting Game 2 at 2:30pm as guessing there will already be lightning delays again.

I would just move the game to a 5 or 6pm start hoping no other storms develop. And then hoping the field is not too waterlogged.