Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
But I thought they really weren't so full? We anticipated the overrun but it never really happened. Plus in NY, we had that ship and the temporary hospitals we never really utilized.
This point was made earlier, but if the doctor says you are well enough to leave the hospital, but they stay longer because they go back to an at risk population who pays for it? I'm guessing insurance is gonna say nah and as expensive as nursing homes are, hospital beds are worse.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on this to honestly say what I think is right or wrong with it. I see everyone is dragging Cuomo over the coals for it, but I'd guess it's something that happened in almost every state in the country.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
But I thought they really weren't so full? We anticipated the overrun but it never really happened. Plus in NY, we had that ship and the temporary hospitals we never really utilized.
Still, he wasn't forcing nursing homes to take on additional people who hadn't been there before which was what my response was directed toward. My understanding is they basically hit capacity with some hospitals being overrun, but not all or maybe even most. Maybe you feel like it should have been obvious they weren't going to exceed capacity and the extra cost was worth it to keep patients from nursing homes even longer to ensure they tested negative before returning. Maybe you feel like there's an easy alternative that doesn't expose medical professionals to excessive risk of infection (if they get sick, who manages the transitional facility between the hospital and nursing home?). I'm not sure I know or have a good argument one way or another.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This point was made earlier, but if the doctor says you are well enough to leave the hospital, but they stay longer because they go back to an at risk population who pays for it? I'm guessing insurance is gonna say nah and as expensive as nursing homes are, hospital beds are worse.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on this to honestly say what I think is right or wrong with it. I see everyone is dragging Cuomo over the coals for it, but I'd guess it's something that happened in almost every state in the country.
So then who was going to pay for the potential of having patients in army hospitals or on the medical ship? It seems to me that the federal government was already willing to eat cost of housing patients but nobody took advantage of that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
So then who was going to pay for the potential of having patients in army hospitals or on the medical ship? It seems to me that the federal government was already willing to eat cost of housing patients but nobody took advantage of that.

But that was supposed to be for people who were too sick to go home. Usually when you get sick you don't need to go to the hospital and if you do, you aren't 100% healed when you get out.

Let's take this a step further. What are nursing homes supposed to do with residents who get sick from this, but aren't sick enough that they need to go to the hospital?

Again, I don't know the answer. I suspect that if the story was about Desantis or Kemp the reaction here (and media outrage) would be completely different.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

But that was supposed to be for people who were too sick to go home. Usually when you get sick you don't need to go to the hospital and if you do, you aren't 100% healed when you get out.

Let's take this a step further. What are nursing homes supposed to do with residents who get sick from this, but aren't sick enough that they need to go to the hospital?

Again, I don't know the answer. I suspect that if the story was about Desantis or Kemp the reaction here (and media outrage) would be completely different.
Apparently they were sending ill patients to the hospital. So, why not keep them there or utilize the army ship or field hospitals? I doubt every state did this, or there'd be bad nursing home breakouts in every state, and it doesn't appear there were.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

If a governor of any state ordered patients that were still sick, back into nursing homes, thus killing other residents, I'd be outraged. No matter their political affiliation. It appears that this order was only given by 3. N.J., N.Y., and CA.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm not sure that these patients were all originally from nursing homes. unless I'm reading it wrong I thought they had patients that just needed to finish recovering and they stuck them in the nursing home instead of letting them go home.

You can't just stick people in nursing homes because insurance won't pay for it. They have to meet the criteria. These were all nursing home residents that were being put back into their nursing homes.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
SO WHY IN THE EVER LOVIN' F DID THEY PUT NAVAL HOSPITAL SHIPS OFFSHORE???
For the same reason they built the field hospitals that they ended up not using, because if they had been needed and weren't there then people would have died. And the MTM would have blamed Trump and we would have President Biden.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
so suddenly all these hospitals that were able to open up what they called covid wings just somehow were able to convert all those extra beds into negative pressure rooms with no problem?

They have wings of isolation rooms that they use for anyone who needs to go into isolation. Those wings have been used exclusively for COVID-19. So, what do you suppose has been happening with other patients who need to be in isolation?

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
The nursing home thing isn't black and white as it is being portrayed here the intent wasn't to be merchants of death but it also wasn't about accounting.....we also weren't void of information on the novel virus at that point.....we knew the one group that this is dangerous thing to is the elderly. Every action should have been taken to protect the elderly who are exponentially more likely to die from this. I don't know what the perfect answer was. Cuomo, who make no mistake has loved every minute of this and was printing his 2024 Presidential material as he spoke, to me is the only who gets a bit of an out as he had an actual crisis in NYC but at the same time seems to be the worst offender. It's inexcusable in California who no where at no time were close to being overrun.

So what's the perfect answer I don't know.....but every effort should have been made to protect the elderly. Some have mentioned who foots the bill, some have mentioned logistics, etc etc.......we have a minimum 2 trillion spending.....we have put 40 million out of work.....we stopped educating our children.....we have arrested people for practicing their religion.....we have arrested people for walking on the beach....we have taken massive liberties with the first and ninth amendments....all in the of the virus. So the bill...or if they are well enough to go about life putting them in one of the 1000000s of empty hotel or dorm type rooms.....anything shouldn't have been an issue to save 5800 lives. The difference here is it's easy to take all the above from you and the results of it are debatable......but it's hard to actually figure out something complex that might actually do good during this. More people have died in assisted living centers in NY than 28 states total combined.....and NJ and Cali and the number goes to 36.....granted that is the main demographic everywhere....but when thats the case that's who needs protecting and we weren't we were too busy making statements on socially distancing cats.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Since these places were not being used the army hospitals the ship, it seems like that would have been a perfect opportunity to take any person that was in a high risk situation like in a nursing home and take those sick people and place them outside of the nursing home where they can be cared for and over it before they're sent back. Yes it's hindsight and etcetera but the fact that those places were not being used , they should have immediately went hey we've got this place to send them not hey let's send them back to the nursing homes.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1264083614570024960?s=19

Sad that the comment thread is full of people that are happy this happened and are calling it God's punishment on them, or the other people who are saying oh the church must have did it so that they could get insurance money. It shows their ignorance towards religion and the people who follow it. as well as it's funny that they're getting called out by atheists even on the thread who are saying it's bad when this happens no matter who's building it is and it should never have happened just because someone differs in their opinion.

Last edited: