Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
This could be interesting. Apparently there is some thought that COVID-19 may have arrived in California as early as the fall. That would explain why they haven't been hit as hard as other areas.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
That’s not what I posted and you know that. I’ve made no comment on anything medical related to this nor will I, I won’t be an Internet researcher. There’s nothing wrong with questioning anything and specifically when it comes from a government.
The influenza that the pho in the sacbee article was referencing presents itself with the same types of symptoms as the china virus and crazy enough it appears, if you believe the states data, it has a very similar mortality rate and a similar age, race and gender breakdown.

It’s already been acknowledged that anyone who dies with china virus is counted in the china virus death numbers, imo, that’s simply incredulous.
You can die with something and not of it, that seems to be missing in this equation.
It's exactly, precisely what you said. Then you say it again here. You say you're not going to make medical statements, then you make medical statements. You're trying hard to not believe that anyone who dies from fever, pneumonia, ARDS right now is likely COVID-19. Because we're in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. Which is more credible, that a patient who dies from fever, interstitial pneumonia, ARDS in the middle of a worldwide pandemic that causes fever, pneumonia, ARDS has likely died from that disease, or that we have no earthly idea what the caused the fever, pneumonia, ARDS?

Yes, influenza presents with similar symptoms. But we aren't in the middle of a worldwide pandemic of influenza, we have a flu vaccine and many people took it, and there are plenty of influenza tests, they are rapid and cheap, and it is easy to rule out (strep as well). I see on Facebook every day, "went in, got tested for both flu and strep, both negative, told to go home and isolate." Thus if you have fever, interstitial pneumonia, ARDS and flu/strep have been ruled out, SARS-CoV-2 is a reasonable assumption as the pathogen. It sure as hell ain't the Alzheimer's causing the ARDS, and when the patient dies from respiratory failure then we don't really need to stand around wondering if the Alzheimer's caused the death.

But, no, freak, the gub'mint! It must be a conspiracy! They're trying to cook the numbers to sell hydroychloroquine, because Trump owns stock! FFS.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
This could be interesting. Apparently there is some thought that COVID-19 may have arrived in California as early as the fall. That would explain why they haven't been hit as hard as other areas.

Herd immunity is when enough of the population has been vaccinated that it protects those in the population who for one reason or another cannot be vaccinated. Herd immunity is NOT a pathogen reaching saturation in a population. Think about it, if it worked that way then all viral diseases would eventually cease to exist as they saturated the population. But it wasn't until we had vaccines that we eliminated smallpox and polio.

The other thing we don't know is how long natural immunity for SARS-CoV-2 lasts. There are reports of people testing positive for a second time.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Herd immunity is when enough of the population has been vaccinated that it protects those in the population who for one reason or another cannot be vaccinated. Herd immunity is NOT a pathogen reaching saturation in a population. Think about it, if it worked that way then all viral diseases would eventually cease to exist as they saturated the population. But it wasn't until we had vaccines that we eliminated smallpox and polio.

The other thing we don't know is how long natural immunity for SARS-CoV-2 lasts. There are reports of people testing positive for a second time.
this whole idea boils over from a Rush Limbaugh conspiracy theory he has been pushing. He has been really pushing this idea that due to the high volume of Asian people who travel into and through California the state has been in contact with the virus for so long that many in the state are now immune to it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...e-better-than-expected/ar-BB12j0Dr?li=BBnb7Kz

"Researchers say the peak has yet to come. The US will reach its highest daily number of deaths on or around Sunday, according to modeling by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington in Seattle.
The projections also suggest the US will reach its peak use of resources -- such as hospital beds and ventilators -- on or around Saturday.
But there's a bit of good news: The modeling shows fewer people will die from coronavirus than previously predicted.
On Tuesday, the IHME estimated about 82,000 people will die from coronavirus disease by August. On Wednesday, that estimate was lowered to 60,415"

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It is becoming obvious we are not going to have the death count, in the US, in the hundreds of thousands, so now the articles are coming out that there are really more deaths than being reported. It sounds like blaming the refs to me.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I no longer want to hear the term "Oklahoma City Bombing". It's paints my city in a poor light. From now on it should be the "Nutcase with a Ryder truck full of fertilizer bombing".

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I no longer want to hear the term "Oklahoma City Bombing". It's paints my city in a poor light. From now on it should be the "Nutcase with a Ryder truck full of fertilizer bombing".
Your new term for the incident identifies a particular truck rental company and irresponsibly paints said company as a contributor to the incident. Tisk tisk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Your new term for the incident identifies a particular truck rental company and irresponsibly paints said company as a contributor to the incident. Tisk tisk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'll give this some thought and do better.

Apr 14, 2009
Do you fellas know that now it’s almost impossible to get the nitrogen fertilizer that explodes. That stuff was really good and efficient. The stuff we get now not so much.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Do you fellas know that now it’s almost impossible to get the nitrogen fertilizer that explodes. That stuff was really good and efficient. The stuff we get now not so much.
All because of one a-hole. These nuts from Manson to McVeigh always think they are going to kick off a revolution. In reality we just end up with more government surveillance, more paper work, and less effective fertilizer.