Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yes, when an event that would bring a billion dollars to Austin's economy is cancelled, it is REAL. Money talks, as you know. And when I say real, I'm talking economically. There are two aspects to this thing. The first and most important is how many people will be sickened and/or die. You can't put a dollar value on that. But the second and more economically impactful aspect, is how we try to contain the spread, and that is where the true economic impact comes in. It is clearly prudent to cancel large gatherings of people from all over the place to combat the spread of the virus, no matter how deadly or benign it turns out to be.
Yeah, I guess after entire cities & regions have already been shut down, the realness seemed to have kind of hit already.

It will be interesting to see how many other large events follow suit, ie: concerts, sporting events, etc...

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, I guess after entire cities & regions have already been shut down, the realness seemed to have kind of hit already.

It will be interesting to see how many other large events follow suit, ie: concerts, sporting events, etc...
Oh come on, what entire cities and regions in the US have been shut down?? We are just now starting to see the ramifications of this here, and the SXSW cancellation is an example.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
The trillions of valuation lost in the financial markets mean nothing. The virus got real when it hit Austin TX’s economy.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Couldn't care less about SXSW, guessing the cancellation is Austin being trendy again.

That said, if this thing disrupts my Vegas golf trip in April heads will roll.
Houston radio said the was a petition to cancel SXSW that had 50k signatures. Several of the big companies that attend had already pulled out.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's a massive man made overreaction to a flu like virus...will it spread to all of us before spring or not? Who knows, but I would think it would be better to just keep living our lives rather than let the hype and our worlds governments shut down things under the guise of "keeping us safe." Panic is FAR more dangerous than this virus...it isn't the plague.

How much freedom are YOU willing to sacrifice to your governments to contain a virus with a very low likelihood of death? We can't live in bubbles and we certainly don't want our governments to make us!

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Saturday a.m. #coronavirus update: 335 cases across 29 states in the U.S. and 17 deaths, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as state and local governments.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Binman4OSU - That means the remaining 329,367,140 likely DO NOT,...(figure based on US population by population clock).

My maths not great...but thems some VERY LOW percentages...

Meanwhile in the good ole USA we have 100-150 deaths DAILY from driving in cars...44 murders a day...and 123 deaths by suicide each and ever time the sun sets...

You, meanwhile, seem to be rooting this on, and at the very least participating in it's dramatization...The spread of fear and unfounded panic is far more dangerous than this virus...btw, wash your hands...

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
Just got a jury duty summons from Collin County, TX. Been there before. One big room very crowded with hundreds of people. By court order. Brings up the question about what the government will do to protect citizens and still continue an orderly court.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Binman4OSU - That means the remaining 329,367,140 likely DO NOT,...(figure based on US population by population clock).

My maths not great...but thems some VERY LOW percentages...

Meanwhile in the good ole USA we have 100-150 deaths DAILY from driving in cars...44 murders a day...and 123 deaths by suicide each and ever time the sun sets...

You, meanwhile, seem to be rooting this on, and at the very least participating in it's dramatization...The spread of fear and unfounded panic is far more dangerous than this virus...btw, wash your hands...
I'm simply posting factual information about what is reality

If I didn't post these..those things would still be a reality

I'm not sure how anyone would think I was rooting on this situation by posting factual information about what is occuring and steps officials are taking

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yep binman you are posting the overreaction and the news of it. What a service to society you are doing...lol

Last edited:

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Yep binman you are posting the overreaction and the news of it. What a service to society you are doing...lol
Rack, this isn't an overreaction at this point. We are months away from the peak, and are unable to contain the spread, esenntially the number of cases double every 6 days. Warm weather will not slow the spread, because unline most other viruses, we do not have built up immunity to it. You or I will probably be fine, but will know or know of people who pass from this, primarily the elderly or those that have pre-existing health conditions. Don't be so flippant about it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Rack, this isn't an overreaction at this point. We are months away from the peak, and are unable to contain the spread, esenntially the number of cases double every 6 days. Warm weather will not slow the spread, because unline most other viruses, we do not have built up immunity to it. You or I will probably be fine, but will know or know of people who pass from this, primarily the elderly or those that have pre-existing health conditions. Don't be so flippant about it.
Honestly, you and I don't have a clue at this point and all we are seeing is full blow over-reaction. Certainly we need to be proactive, but where do you draw the line with your personal freedom of movement and travel. It's getting out of hand in terms of the reaction by governments, the WHO (which I don't trust as far as they can be thrown) and the media and it's likely to get worse. Honestly I'm not afraid of this at all...far less than the other things I mentioned AND the Governments reactions to it. Also, you don't know if it won't respond to the warm weather...the thing is the warm weather itself is known to kill virus on surfaces far faster than temperate weather, has little to do with our immunity to fight things but actual "shelf life" of viruses, so you don't know that it won't either...it fact, in past viral infections it is nearly ALWAYS the case that they wane with warmer weather. Speculation is what is happening now...and IMHO it has the media's full backing. Certainly we need to wash our hands and cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze....but governments full blown panic attack, under the guise of protecting the public, is the real thing to fear.

Last edited:

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly, you and I don't have a clue at this point and all we are seeing is full blow over-reaction. Certainly we need to be proactive, but where do you draw the line with your personal freedom of movement and travel. It's getting out of hand in terms of the reaction by governments, the WHO (which I don't trust as far as they can be thrown) and the media and it's likely to get worse. Honestly I'm not afraid of this at all...far less than the other things I mentioned AND the Governments reactions to it. Also, you don't know if it won't respond to the warm weather...the thing is the warm weather itself is known to kill virus on surfaces far faster than temperate weather, has little to do with our immunity to fight things but actual "shelf life" of viruses, so you don't know that it won't either...it fact, in past viral infections it is nearly ALWAYS the case that they wane with warmer weather. Speculation is what is happening now...and IMHO it has the media's full backing. Certainly we need to wash our hands and cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze....but governments full blown panic attack, under the guise of protecting the public, is the real thing to fear.
Famous last words.

Last edited: