Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
So my boss also oversees our labs in our hospitals & clinics & I've had a couple of conversations with him regarding testing, etc...

There are a couple of issues at play here, & please know I'm not a phlebotomist, just passing along what he said.

First, there are a couple of huge lab providers, but that doesn't mean everyone has their equipment. So they may be able to administer a test to you, but like my dad's case, they may have to send it off to the state lab or elsewhere, delaying the results.

Secondly, as you know, there are multiple tests being rolled out almost daily right now. So which one do you decide to get for your facilities? Are they compatible with your equipment, etc..? What if you can't get those for 2 weeks, but others are available now? Not easy calls to make.

We've partnered with a company in Utah to get kits from them, but mind you, we did that 2 weeks ago & then Abbott comes out with the 15 minute test, vs. the one we got which is a 45 minute turnaround to results.

So, in some instances here, you're trying to put an Android part in an Iphone, or vice versa. I definitely get the questions about it though, just trying to lay out some of the real factors at play here. And that's not even mentioning the fact that everyone everywhere is trying to get their hands on these tests.
Not trying to nit-pick (even though I am), but ID NOW is 5 minutes for a positive, 13 minutes for a negative, and the size of a toaster. I realize these devices probably cost a LOT of money but you'd think the gummint could break off a chunk of our $2 trillion and get these out there if they are as big of a game-changer as Orange Man and Pierced Nips say they are.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Not trying to nit-pick (even though I am), but ID NOW is 5 minutes for a positive, 13 minutes for a negative, and the size of a toaster. I realize these devices probably cost a LOT of money but you'd think the gummint could break off a chunk of our $2 trillion and get these out there if they are as big of a game-changer as Orange Man and Pierced Nips say they are.
Well you're not wrong, but I think they just got them approved 5 days ago. I don't know that cost is the obstacle here, but I could certainly be wrong.

It appears to the best we've got right now, but it's not all we've got. If we don't have the analyzer, they're in short supply, we have a massive order in already with another company & the difference is 30ish minutes, what do we do?

Not nitpicking, either, but they're just not easy calls & people are busting their asses trying to get product, from anywhere, to help fight this.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Just heard the craziest thing from my old friend in Dallas. He is 70 years old, a smoker, had all the symptoms, tested negative for flu and strep, but they STILL did not test him. They diagnosed him with COVID19, but not a confirmed case. Now if we're not even testing under those conditions, we're not even testing. We have millions of cases in the USA, I am convinced of it.
All the anecdotal info I’ve heard from various locations around the country and world is - we won’t test unless you require out-of-home medical treatment. Thus the number of actual cases in those jurisdictions is likely massively understated, thus the observed death rate is massively overstated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
All the anecdotal info I’ve heard from various locations around the country and world is - we won’t test unless you require out-of-home medical treatment. Thus the number of actual cases in those jurisdictions is likely massively understated, thus the observed death rate is massively overstated.

Correct...

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
The reason mostly for the stay at home orders is to try our best not to overwhelm medical facilities. Thus the only numbers I am looking at are hospitalizations. Once those peak then the rest should already have started falling for a week or more since hospitalizations and deaths should lag behind infection counts.
I’m sure that’s a big part of it but I sat in on a vc today with a med size company of over 1500 Bay Area employees, 2 of their attorneys and a state labor board attorney for a q&a.
In Ca and several other states, if you exhibit symptoms you are to leave work and self quarantine and seek a test. If you test neg, all’s good, once your symptoms subside you go back to work, if you test positive it gets crazy. Your employer, without notifying anyone of who it is, has a legal obligation to determine everyone you have been within 6 ft of in the last 14 days at work and send them home as well, while explaining they’ve been exposed but unable to say who. Those people are then encouraged to get tested regardless of symptoms or not and the employer again has to go through the same process, if yes then, if no then.
According to the labor attorney this has to be done to ensure there are no hipaa violations by the employer.
Also, the state allows employers to take temperatures as a precautionary measure, but with little to no training or guidance, what could possibly go wrong.

So, the act that was designed to protect your privacy and which has driven huge increases in healthcare costs, could in fact lead to your illness or worst case death.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I’m sure that’s a big part of it but I sat in on a vc today with a med size company of over 1500 Bay Area employees, 2 of their attorneys and a state labor board attorney for a q&a.
In Ca and several other states, if you exhibit symptoms you are to leave work and self quarantine and seek a test. If you test neg, all’s good, once your symptoms subside you go back to work, if you test positive it gets crazy. Your employer, without notifying anyone of who it is, has a legal obligation to determine everyone you have been within 6 ft of in the last 14 days at work and send them home as well, while explaining they’ve been exposed but unable to say who. Those people are then encouraged to get tested regardless of symptoms or not and the employer again has to go through the same process, if yes then, if no then.
According to the labor attorney this has to be done to ensure there are no hipaa violations by the employer.
Also, the state allows employers to take temperatures as a precautionary measure, but with little to no training or guidance, what could possibly go wrong.

So, the act that was designed to protect your privacy and which has driven huge increases in healthcare costs, could in fact lead to your illness or worst case death.
I take it this is a business that is considered essential since they are still working and not from home?

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I take it this is a business that is considered essential since they are still working and not from home?
Remember in a prior message some time back I said that the SIPO wasn’t a SIPO and frankly it’s still not but it’s closer. Officially essential, yup, essential, not in the least.
a perfect example of this - dry cleaners initially considered essential, why, because they provided cleaning services to essential services, so dry cleaners ran as is (not just cleaning for essential service providers but all customers) if they so desired.
It’s not just essential services, it’s the essential service and the supply chain to the essential service, ie the supplier to the supplier etc...anyone that could disrupt the supply chain could claim exemption from the order. Once exemption was established they could do work for any client, not just essential svcs.

That’s not just Ca this company operates in many states and they held multiple vc’s with labor attorneys from various states and they got the same response every time.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

I get your concern and don't want to make light of what you are getting at but it points to the wide discrepancy in testing in different parts of the country.

What you are saying is in San Francisco, if you are exposed you are encouraged to get tested regardless of symptoms. In other areas people who have symptoms are denied a test unless their case is critical because regardless of the outcome they are going to be told to go home, isolate, get plenty of fluids and come back if it gets worse.

I get it-you live in a higher risk area than many and urban access to emergency care is more available than rural areas, but I can't wrap my head around how much of a discrepancy there is in testing for this.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I get your concern and don't want to make light of what you are getting at but it points to the wide discrepancy in testing in different parts of the country.

What you are saying is in San Francisco, if you are exposed you are encouraged to get tested regardless of symptoms. In other areas people who have symptoms are denied a test unless their case is critical because regardless of the outcome they are going to be told to go home, isolate, get plenty of fluids and come back if it gets worse.

I get it-you live in a higher risk area than many and urban access to emergency care is more available than rural areas, but I can't wrap my head around how much of a discrepancy there is in testing for this.
My point is the ridiculousness of what the employers obligations are, how tightly their hands are tied, the level of liability they face and how little it will actually accomplish. It also points out how difficult it is to do contact tracing at least in Ca. I do not envy anyone on the frontlines of this, unlike many though, I’m heartened by this administration’s response, watched my first Trump presser (of his entire term) this evening his experts were spot on, it was extremely informative regardless of how many times reporters tried to derail it.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Of course an employer encouraging someone to get tested does not equal a doctors prescription to be tested.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Of course an employer encouraging someone to get tested does not equal a doctors prescription to be tested.

That’s a great point, you are encouraged to seek testing however if you don’t you simply come back to work after, most employers, 3 weeks. If you don’t test, there’s no legal obligation, you could have infected others and they’ll be none the wiser because hipaa prohibits employers from disclosing who or why you were sent home.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm so crazy ass theory that just showed up in my Facebook

China is intentionally creating COVID-19 test kits that aren't really test kits but are actually ways to infect people. This way when you get tested doctors are accidentally giving u the coronavirus through the test.

apparently this is why Trump waited so long to be tested because American doctors had to make the kit for him so he wouldn't catch coronavirus from a Chinese kit.

:blink:

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK

Absolutely correct. Talked to an infectious disease doc today and he said the death rate on this thing will end up being much, much lower than the scare tactics being thrown out there today. The oddity of this thing is that a big chunk of people get it and hardly show it / may never know it. But if you’re high risk and don’t get the right treatment early you’re toast. He said the road map to ending this thing is there and it’s just a matter of following it.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Absolutely correct. Talked to an infectious disease doc today and he said the death rate on this thing will end up being much, much lower than the scare tactics being thrown out there today. The oddity of this thing is that a big chunk of people get it and hardly show it / may never know it. But if you’re high risk and don’t get the right treatment early you’re toast. He said the road map to ending this thing is there and it’s just a matter of following it.

The death rates will be lower because of the "scare tactics." They are less scare tactics and more precautions to keep our healthcare system from being overrun.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com

China is intentionally creating COVID-19 test kits that aren't really test kits but are actually ways to infect people. This way when you get tested doctors are accidentally giving u the coronavirus through the test.

apparently this is why Trump waited so long to be tested because American doctors had to make the kit for him so he wouldn't catch coronavirus from a Chinese kit.

Facebook is a ****hole for the uninformed morons.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

People get on FB who are more startlingly advanced than Trump in not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground.