Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Stay healthy and inquisitive my friends...it never hurts to question as long as we are complying. Just so you know, I'm NOT suggesting that we shouldn't comply with authorities, we should...BUT that doesn't mean they are above question.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Lots of info...can you summarize? Hoping it's good!
Remdisivir shows the most promise, but it isn't on the market yet. Taking it out of orphan drug may actually slow down it's progress to market.

Hydroxy/chloroquine +/- azithro - multiple clinical trials underway. My opinion: we're going to have to treat it like we do chemotherapy trials, collecting data as we treat.

Vit c - a couple of trials underway using MEGA doses, like 24 grams per day or more of IV vit c, for patients in ICU with ARDS. I've already seen morons on Facebook "See, taking Vit C will make me immune!" Even IF it increases white cell count, which there is no data, your WBCs have never seen COVID-19 before and don't know what to do.

Lopinavir/ritonavir - trials underway, no evidence of efficacy yet.

Neuramidase inhibitors (oseltamivir) - doesn't work

Azithro alone - insufficient evidence

Corticosteroids - recommended they NOT be used unless you have another reason. Suppressing the immune system is bad, y'all.

ACE inhibitors and ARBs - ACC/AHA recommends not stopping them. Trials are underway to assess if they limit organ failure.

Ibuprofen - NO, DON'T TAKE IT! Not much actual evidence, but, dang, who wants to take that chance?

Baloxavir - doesn't work.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Hospitals in Maryland considering "universal DNR". That is, involuntary DNR.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...QQQT1xoHVzAW-s6fP-O8_1nHqYW2_1Qhv-bfHz_WOTYGA

@Rack where they considering that last March?
I'm not trying to sensationalize this...I'm just asking questions about the data and WHY wouldn't one use statistical comparisons of past years when arguing space issues in ICU's? Just seems like common sense to include that.

Btw, prayers for Maryland and other hard hit areas as well as the entire nation. May God keep us safe, healthy and FREE. God Bless us Every One!

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Remdisivir shows the most promise, but it isn't on the market yet. Taking it out of orphan drug may actually slow down it's progress to market.

Hydroxy/chloroquine +/- azithro - multiple clinical trials underway. My opinion: we're going to have to treat it like we do chemotherapy trials, collecting data as we treat.

Vit c - a couple of trials underway using MEGA doses, like 24 grams per day or more of IV vit c, for patients in ICU with ARDS. I've already seen morons on Facebook "See, taking Vit C will make me immune!" Even IF it increases white cell count, which there is no data, your WBCs have never seen COVID-19 before and don't know what to do.

Lopinavir/ritonavir - trials underway, no evidence of efficacy yet.

Neuramidase inhibitors (oseltamivir) - doesn't work

Azithro alone - insufficient evidence

Corticosteroids - recommended they NOT be used unless you have another reason. Suppressing the immune system is bad, y'all.

ACE inhibitors and ARBs - ACC/AHA recommends not stopping them. Trials are underway to assess if they limit organ failure.

Ibuprofen - NO, DON'T TAKE IT! Not much actual evidence, but, dang, who wants to take that chance?

Baloxavir - doesn't work.
I was reading some of the very positive outcomes using Remdisivir yesterday

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I'm not trying to sensationalize this...I'm just asking questions about the data and WHY wouldn't one use statistical comparisons of past years when arguing space issues in ICU's? Just seems like common sense to include that.

Btw, prayers for Maryland and other hard hit areas as well as the entire nation. May God keep us safe, healthy and FREE. God Bless us Every One!
Because hospital conditions change in a year. Beds open, beds close... staffing levels change. None of that matters. What matters is what it looks like today and what it might look like tomorrow.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Because hospital conditions change in a year. Beds open, beds close... staffing levels change. None of that matters. What matters is what it looks like today and what it might look like tomorrow.
Ok, sure, but they left a hole in their argument about space being a premium in ICU and that was my point. They could have easily filled that hole and used information from past years and compared and even explained away the differences being because of bed clearing if it wasn't favorable...Bottom line, that article is being used all over town and WILL ratchet up the fear levels...

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Ok, sure, but they left a hole in their argument about space being a premium in ICU and that was my point. They could have easily filled that hole and used information from past years and compared and even explained away the differences being because of bed clearing if it wasn't favorable...Bottom line, that article is being used all over town and WILL ratchet up the fear levels...
Oy... okay.

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX
This is true...they have postponed all "elective" procedures and made room in the hospitals...they currently, it is my understanding, still have that "room." This is why January and February numbers comparable to last year would be key in those stats...because those bigtime changes started happening in early March so those numbers, you are correct, are likely skewed. For this I would only be interested in Oklahoma numbers because I feel the Tulsa World Article is somewhat misleading and fear mongering.
This is something I don't agree with about the government mandated orders. Elective procedures shouldn't have all been cancelled. I understand part of it was likely that sometimes those procedures have complications and lead to more serious treatment requirements. We probably have lots of Dr's sitting on their nuts now waiting to be called into service for Covid-19 who could be doing good with their normal procedures. I think this is something hospitals likely could have managed on their own to make the best use of their resources, and they still may have made that decision, but they're better equipped to do so.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Yeah but that is what the media does...

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
US surpasses Italy with the number to cases reported. 2nd only to China in total # of reported cases

US New Cases 6,858 and 53 new deaths
75,069 total cases, 1,080 total deaths, 1,857 in serious or critical condition, 1,863 total recovered

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
US surpasses Italy with the number to cases reported. 2nd only to China in total # of reported cases

75,069 total cases, 1,080 total deaths, 1,857 in serious or critical condition, 1,863 total recovered
So they are not reporting hospitalizations?

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX

The US *will* surpass China for 2 reasons 1) a reasonably accountable (e.g. not state controlled) press reporting reasonably accurate numbers and 2) Human rights.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
@Rack this is why last year doesn't matter:

Six months of supplies gone in a week
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp had committed additional resources to make 26 beds available in a different facility, Albany officials said Wednesday.

The health system's most "severely impacted" hospital is in Albany, Steiner said in a statement.

The state will soon be bringing in more ventilators and personal protective equipment, Dorough said.