Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 11, 2007
I'm convinced we have a dangerous virus...I'm not convinced that the reaction fits the threat. That's why I want to see average numbers of ICU patients this year compared to last year for the months of January, February, and March...this should tell everyone, even those of us with thick skulls, why we are doing what we are. Does that make sense to anyone but me?
A better assessment will be total number of hospitalizations because patients that would typically be in ICU are being moved out to make room for critical COVID patients. And even that wouldn't be entirely accurate because people are being discharged from the hospital entirely, if at all possible, to make room for COVID patients. Also, you have to consider that postponement of all surgeries that are not urgent or emergent would lower the number of hospitalizations, again, in an attempt to make room for COVID patients.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was under the impression that 100's of Covid-19 prepared beds at one local hospital are currently vacant as they are preparing for it. Hopes that it won't progress to that point still abound. I can't assume this is the case at other hospitals. However, my understand is that our actual hospital census (in patient) is low in Oklahoma and specifically at one hospital I'm very familiar with due to the fact that we are "differing" all elective procedures. I'm a skeptic, sorry, but it feels like a money grab when they don't prove their numbers historically as they didn't in the Tulsa World story. How much money do hospitals get in this bail out?????? That's what we need to be asking at this point in time and what financial incentives do State's have to misrepresent their facts and information?

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
A better assessment will be total number of hospitalizations because patients that would typically be in ICU are being moved out to make room for critical COVID patients. And even that wouldn't be entirely accurate because people are being discharged from the hospital entirely, if at all possible, to make room for COVID patients. Also, you have to consider that postponement of all surgeries that are not urgent or emergent would lower the number of hospitalizations, again, in an attempt to make room for COVID patients.
This is true...they have postponed all "elective" procedures and made room in the hospitals...they currently, it is my understanding, still have that "room." This is why January and February numbers comparable to last year would be key in those stats...because those bigtime changes started happening in early March so those numbers, you are correct, are likely skewed. For this I would only be interested in Oklahoma numbers because I feel the Tulsa World Article is somewhat misleading and fear mongering.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
This is true...they have postponed all "elective" procedures and made room in the hospitals...they currently, it is my understanding, still have that "room." This is why January and February numbers comparable to last year would be key in those stats...because those bigtime changes started happening in early March so those numbers, you are correct, are likely skewed. For this I would only be interested in Oklahoma numbers because I feel the Tulsa World Article is somewhat misleading and fear mongering.
Capacity last January has nothing to do with capacity tomorrow. What matters is capacity now. What matters is what's happening with the spread now. What matters is keeping the hospitals from being over-run now.

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX
I can't find where it's been updated, but there are at least 14 CDC official in-country now. If you see numbers from the CDC, then they are at least being verified by CDC officials.
I wasn't going there because I hadn't seen anything official, but yes, from what I've heard we've had CDC people there throughout this.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I wasn't going there because I hadn't seen anything official, but yes, from what I've heard we've had CDC people there throughout this.
They weren't allowed into Hubei (neither was WHO) at first, and that's why our response has been slow. ChiComs tried to conceal and cover until they couldn't any more.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Capacity last January has nothing to do with capacity tomorrow. What matters is capacity now. What matters is what's happening with the spread now. What matters is keeping the hospitals from being over-run now.
WE are and have been creating capacity in Oklahoma since about mid to early March...I don't disagree with that. What was capacity before we cleared it out in March in Oklahoma comparing February 2019 to February 2020 when it is VERY likely that the virus was already here and at work big time but NOT classified as Covid-19...I think that is relevant. Btw, I do collections and billing ...to/from hospitals...so I would guess that they will be able to pay us due to this bailout. So it's good for us...but always follow the money...always.

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX
I just talked with one of my students who is an intern at Rite Aid. They are forbidding their pharmacy staff from wearing gloves and masks because "it might frighten the customers". But it exposes the pharmacy staff, which further exposes their customers.

Contact Rite Aid.
https://www.riteaid.com/customer-support/contact-us
All this rush to donate all N95 masks to hospitals (who are by far most at risk and do need them) ignores that there are others at risk of exposure as well. Plexiglass windows are supposed to get going up at supermarkets, but there are going to be similar essential businesses that have employees who could benefit from masks. I hope there's enough to go around.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville