Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This is terrifying:
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loc...WY4kATL2iO9we9baN-ih5E4abBMqIHKRVHO6gAO9XP8_Q

Let's look at the numbers...

Current ICU beds in the state: 282
Current confirmed COVID-19 patients in ICU beds: 35
Current suspected COVID-19 patients in ICU beds: 93
Current confirmed COVID-19 hospitalizations: 59
Current suspected COVID-19 hospitalizations: 326
In Tulsa and OKC metro areas, hospitals report an average of 2-3 days of PPE.

45% of our state's ENTIRE ICU beds are taken up right now (not to mention any patients that were already in ICU). Don't let Oklahoma's low numbers fool you. This thing is bad.
The number that gives you the stress test isn't the number of cases specific to Covid-19 but how many total beds are filled COMPARED to this time last year...last month...and the month prior...this is misleading information at best without those stats.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I just talked with one of my students who is an intern at Rite Aid. They are forbidding their pharmacy staff from wearing gloves and masks because "it might frighten the customers". But it exposes the pharmacy staff, which further exposes their customers.

Contact Rite Aid.
https://www.riteaid.com/customer-support/contact-us
this is actually exposing many businesses I do not want to patronage due to the way they have treated their employees in this time

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
To Rite Aid:

I just spoke with pharmacy staff at the store here in Xenia, OH. Why on earth are they not wearing masks and gloves? By not doing so you are exposing the pharmacy staff to customers, and thus also exposing further your customers. Remember, people are asymptomatic with COVID-19 for up to a week. This is highly irresponsible.

Protect your customers. Put gloves and masks on your pharmacy staff.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
What percentage of our state's ICU beds were taken up before the test where available? What's the average amount of ICU beds in use? 45% doesn't sound that high to me in terms of what I typically see in ICU's in the hospital when I visit.
Why is it relevant what percentage were taken up before tests? What matters is what is taken up now, and what will be taken up tomorrow.

And it absolutely doesn't matter what it "sounds like" to you in your experience, which is a solipsism. What matters is keeping ICUs from being overrun, because if they are then other people who need to be in the ICU for other reasons aren't going to be able to get in.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
What percentage of our state's ICU beds were taken up before the test where available? What's the average amount of ICU beds in use? 45% doesn't sound that high to me in terms of what I typically see in ICU's in the hospital when I visit. Honestly, that's what we need to know...The number that gives you the stress test isn't the number of cases but how many beds are filled COMPARED to this time last year...last month...and the month prior...this is misleading information at best without those stats.

Anyone know the average numbers to compare to past months and years of ICU beds in use? Honestly that's the ONLY way to determine if the healthcare system in our state is stressed or not.
Per the USA Today report earlier this month. Doesn't focus on ICU, just all hospital beds

On an avg non Rona virus day there are 11,144 total hospital beds available in Oklahoma..and on avg about 4,000 of those are open and not used.

This is without the Rona rampaging

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Why is it relevant what percentage were taken up before tests? What matters is what is taken up now, and what will be taken up tomorrow.

And it absolutely doesn't matter what it "sounds like" to you in your experience, which is a solipsism. What matters is keeping ICUs from being overrun, because if they are then other people who need to be in the ICU for other reasons aren't going to be able to get in.
Exactly this. 45% of beds are taken up for ONE issue. I don't know how many were taken up prior, but you say yourself "45% doesn't sound that high to me in terms of what I typically see in ICU's in the hospital when I visit over the past few years." So, if 45% is normal, and 45% are because of COVID-19...that means 90% is taken up right now.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
What percentage of our state's ICU beds were taken up before the test where available? What's the average amount of ICU beds in use? 45% doesn't sound that high to me in terms of what I typically see in ICU's in the hospital when I visit over the past few years. Honestly, that's what we need to know...The number that gives you the stress test isn't the number of cases specific to Covid-19 but how many total beds are filled COMPARED to this time last year...last month...and the month prior...this is misleading information at best without those stats.
My understanding from someone that works in a hospital in OKC is that most of the hospitals have to constantly have most of the beds filled to stay profitable (was told some of them at 90%+ filled). Thus this pandemic easily has the ability to overrun them. We lament all day about that not being a good plan but the point is they are getting overrun now.

Jul 11, 2007
What percentage of our state's ICU beds were taken up before the test where available? What's the average amount of ICU beds in use? 45% doesn't sound that high to me in terms of what I typically see in ICU's in the hospital when I visit over the past few years. Honestly, that's what we need to know...The number that gives you the stress test isn't the number of cases specific to Covid-19 but how many total beds are filled COMPARED to this time last year...last month...and the month prior...this is misleading information at best without those stats.
Goodness. Nothing is going to convince you.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Exactly this. 45% of beds are taken up for ONE issue. I don't know how many were taken up prior, but you say yourself "45% doesn't sound that high to me in terms of what I typically see in ICU's in the hospital when I visit over the past few years." So, if 45% is normal, and 45% are because of COVID-19...that means 90% is taken up right now.
I re-read it and adjustment my post for that. The question I had is what is normal ICU use...NOT specific ICU use, but normal.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I have a friend who works IT at St Francis in Tulsa OK. He sent me an internal memo they sent out. The entire 3rd and 5th West wings of the hospital have been 100% dedicated to COVID-19 patients only and entry into those wings is not permitted without PPE gear

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I have a friend who works IT at St Francis in Tulsa OK. He sent me an internal memo they sent out. The entire 3rd and 5th West wings of the hospital have been 100% dedicated to COVID-19 patients only and entry into those wings is not permitted without PPE gear
And the current percentage utilization of those wings is.....?

Jul 11, 2007
My understanding from someone that works in a hospital in OKC is that most of the hospitals have to constantly have most of the beds filled to stay profitable (was told some of them at 90%+ filled). Thus this pandemic easily has the ability to overrun them. We lament all day about that not being a good plan but the point is they are getting overrun now.
True. Additionally, anecdotal because no one will be able to provide numbers to ever satisfy people like Rack, I'm in hospitals 4 days a week, I guarandamntee you, every hospital in the state is moving every patient that is even borderline able to move out of ICU out and discharging people entirely from the hospital if at all possible to make room for COVID patients.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Goodness. Nothing is going to convince you.
I'm convinced we have a dangerous virus...I'm not convinced that the reaction fits the threat. That's why I want to see average numbers of ICU patients this year compared to last year for the months of January, February, and March...this should tell everyone, even those of us with thick skulls, why we are doing what we are. Does that make sense to anyone but me?

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Per
Yes, we have a friend at the Bartlesville hospital and they have a "floor" dedicated to COVID-19 as well...I would assume 20 regular beds, but I don't know an exact number...or if any of them can be ICU.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I just talked with one of my students who is an intern at Rite Aid. They are forbidding their pharmacy staff from wearing gloves and masks because "it might frighten the customers". But it exposes the pharmacy staff, which further exposes their customers.

Contact Rite Aid.
https://www.riteaid.com/customer-support/contact-us
Who the F sits at a boardroom table and makes these terrible calls? I went to autozone yesterday to buy a pair of windshield wipers and the dude working the register was wearing gloves. The only thought in my mind has that I appreciated that.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
No rational person believes that anyone can do no wrong. But so far I think Trump is doing an excellent job.
Trump has an army of excellent health experts who meets with him at least daily daily. According to these experts Trump listens to them and follows their advice.
I’d like to hear only from them instead of the President

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
True. Additionally, anecdotal because no one will be able to provide numbers to ever satisfy people like Rack, I'm in hospitals 4 days a week, I guarandamntee you, every hospital in the state is moving every patient that is even borderline able to move out of ICU out and discharging people entirely from the hospital if at all possible to make room for COVID patients.
We have a family member who is considered "end of life", he was discharged from Muskogee to make room. No nursing home. No hospice. He and his wife are prepared for what is going to happen, but I have a feeling it won't be long before people are discharged that want and need more care. I pray that we don't get to where Europe is and start picking who gets treated and who doesn't because of a lack of resources.

I hope rack is right and everything will just pass us by and this is no big deal.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
We have a family member who is considered "end of life", he was discharged from Muskogee to make room. No nursing home. No hospice. He and his wife are prepared for what is going to happen, but I have a feeling it won't be long before people are discharged that want and need more care. I pray that we don't get to where Europe is and start picking who gets treated and who doesn't because of a lack of resources.

I hope rack is right and everything will just pass us by and this is no big deal.
Hospice is good