Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 18, 2010
I was surprised to learn that, roughly, 150k people die, every single day, on Earth. It's a sad thing, but human beings die. And they die in huge numbers, every day.

This new flu virus, in 2 months, has killed about 15k people globally.

So, out of the 150,000 people who die on any given day, 250 of those are dying because of this new flu virus.

I know some will reply with dire projections, warnings of an apocalyptic future, insults, guilt-trips, threats...but I still have to ask---Is shutting down the entire world indefinitely, an appropriate response to 250 people, globally, dying each day from the flu?

TL/DR: 150,000 people die each day. For the last 2 months, an average of 250 have died each day because of this new flu virus.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Why do we believe China? Every news channel I see, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, seem to be touting the China turn around of numbers on the virus. I'm all about any positive signs, but I am amazed that there is very little questioning of those #'s. Occasionally there is a passing mention of the possibility they are not just right, but mostly discussing how they achieved these results.

I'm floored that all these sources are so quick to accept results from a country with a proud history of misinformation and lying, who happened to improve their results on fighting a virus, that they were clearly getting defensive about, on the same day they kicked our press out of the country.

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Why do we believe China? Every news channel I see, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, seem to be touting the China turn around of numbers on the virus. I'm all about any positive signs, but I amazed that there is very little questioning of those #'s. Occasionally there is a passing mention of the possibility they are not just right, but mostly discussing how they achieved these results.

I'm floored that all these sources are so quick to accept results from a country with a proud history of misinformation and lying, who happened to improve their results on fighting a virus, that they were clearly getting defensive about, on the same day they kicked our press out of the country.
I don’t trust the Chinese numbers for a minute. If they are somehow true, then I suspect that they have a vaccine that was developed before this outbreak even started. And you know what that means about the virus itself.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
From WDTN News:

Missouri man accused of licking Walmart items in coronavirus prank

by: Nexstar Media Wire

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 / 06:07 AM EDT / Updated: Mar 25, 2020 / 06:07 AM EDT

WARRENTON, Mo. – A Missouri man accused of tampering with merchandise at a local Walmart as part of a coronavirus prank video has been charged with making terrorist threats.

The video shows 26-year-old Cody Lee Pfister, of Warrenton, asking, “Who’s scared of coronavirus?” before licking several sticks of deodorant, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

According to court documents, the alleged incident happened on March 11.

Warrenton police posted the following statement on Facebook:

This particular video, which won’t be shared here, has gained some international attention and we have received numerous reports about the video from locals, nearby residents, as well as people from the Netherlands, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.​

Court docs say Pfister “knowingly caused a false belief or fear that a condition involving danger to life existed,” and acted “with reckless disregard of the risk causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion” of the Walmart store.

Pfister has previous convictions for burglary, theft of a firearm, disorderly conduct and driving while intoxicated, according to the Post-Dispatch.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
From my friend at Purdue:

Covid-19 Update:
1) In a follow up with a virologist yesterday I tracked down the antigenic drift rate of the virus (remember "drift" is the slower/smaller one) and found it is making about 2 mutations a month. That is slow for a virus and means it is fairly stable. It actually has a feature that it "double checks" itself when duplicating to keep mutations low. So that is in our favor.

2)The Strategic National Stockpile we discussed a day or two ago is being deployed to NY and WA state. One significant factor in the delay is that the N95 masks that healthcare workers need was never restocked after the last time it was used - so our stockpile is lower than it should be. But it has now been deployed and that is a sign we are moving in the right direction with our response.

3)There are over 100 clinical trials going on to find a cure and/or vaccine. So that is great news. But remember, these things take time. They are fast tracking things as much as possible without sacrificing safety and efficacy, but it takes time.

4)Currently about 20% of people are developing serious complications. There is a great tool on NPR to see what the capacity in your county is to deal with serious cases (i.e. does your county have sufficient ICU beds and ventilators.) Preventing those with serious complications from dying is, in part, about having the resources we need to help them. This means having beds, equipment, and healthcare personnel. By staying home you reduce the strain on that system giving them their best chance. Yesterday 60 medical workers (all from the same health system) tested positive and another 300 went into quarantine. Not good. In an emergency response situation normal protocol is for healthcare workers and front line workers to get PPE, treatment, vaccines etc. first.We have to keep them up and running so they can get the rest of us back up and running. So please - do your part not to make things worse. You can do this by staying home and not hoarding.

5)Remember, numbers are going to continue to climb for a little while (2-4 more weeks). That doesn't mean we aren't making progress. In part, it means we are capturing more cases because of improved testing. Don't let this alarm or disturb you - we see it coming and we are expecting it. But let's work to not make it worse. Don't flush stuff down the toilet and clog the pipes because that is going to make this situation a lot worse. Trust me on this one.

FINAL THOUGHT: This is situation is challenging with lots of moving parts. But in time, it will pass and become part of our history. There are some inspiring and amazing things being done by companies and individuals alike. Be part of that story.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Biden was complaining about Trump stopping travel from China to the u.s. saying it wouldn't help. Even though it had helped to slow the spread to America. News media are trying to act like no Democrats were critical of the move at the time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Gotta keep score and score points constantly.