Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
It's time we got this started. This thing is turning into something far worse and far reaching than initially thought. It has an incubation time of 2 weeks and you are contagious during that time. The numbers have to be higher than the chinese are letting on. Need to start thinking about blocking all travel to and from china until this things runs its course.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I have a coworker that recently married a Chinese woman and they are currently on a 3 week vacation in China to see her family. Gonna stay the hell away from him when he returns.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
It's not an exaggeration. Estimates are 300k will contract it within 10 days. It's extremely contagious.

So it's not an exaggeration to say it might kill millions? Riiiiiiight. Not going to happen. It's just the latest thing to panic about that will be old news in a month. I will quote this post on Feb. 26th for an I told you so if I'm not dead or being held in quarantine in a local football stadium.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
So it's not an exaggeration to say it might kill millions? Riiiiiiight. Not going to happen. It's just the latest thing to panic about that will be old news in a month. I will quote this post on Feb. 26th for an I told you so if I'm not dead or being held in quarantine in a local football stadium.
Do not willingly go into the stadium.
I’ve seen “Outbreak”. They gonna get us all in there and then nuke us.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Very much this.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
It should be telling that the Chinese have quarantined cities LARGER than NYC. Think about that. ENTIRE CITY of 10s of millions - no one in or out. They are trying to build 1000 bed hospitals in DAYS. Not weeks or months. Sounds pretty desperate.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It's not an exaggeration. Estimates are 300k will contract it within 10 days. It's extremely contagious.

IF somehow you have obtained contagion rates for a novel virus you might want to let the CDC know as they are saying that based on current information, that likelihood is low:

When person-to-person spread has occurred with MERS and SARS, it is thought to have happened mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. Spread of SARS and MERS between people has generally occurred between close contacts.

It’s important to note that how easily a virus spreads person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious (like measles), while other viruses are less so. It’s important to know this in order to better understand the risk associated with this virus. While CDC considers this is a very serious public health threat, based on current information, the immediate health risk from 2019-nCoV to the general American public is considered low at this time.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
IF somehow you have obtained contagion rates for a novel virus you might want to let the CDC know as they are saying that based on current information, that likelihood is low:

When person-to-person spread has occurred with MERS and SARS, it is thought to have happened mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. Spread of SARS and MERS between people has generally occurred between close contacts.

It’s important to note that how easily a virus spreads person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious (like measles), while other viruses are less so. It’s important to know this in order to better understand the risk associated with this virus. While CDC considers this is a very serious public health threat, based on current information, the immediate health risk from 2019-nCoV to the general American public is considered low at this time.

Not taking any chances.

I've loaded all the spare ammo mags, locked the doors, and broken all the light bulbs in the house, and duct taped all the windows and doors shut. .

I'm not leaving the house until this deal is over. I may have to roast both the dogs to survive though. That'll be a pity. Good thing I've got lots of ketchup.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com

This isn't like Ebola or SARS. It is contagious before showing symptoms. You can carry for 2 weeks thinking you have just a cough before really showing the signs of it. This is much more serious, if what is coming out of china is true, than anything we have seen in a long while. The only reason the CDC is saying that is because the chinese have practically cut off any flow of information about it. But the telling part is the lockdown of several cities housing millions of people. You dont do that for something not potentially devastating to the mass population.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Not taking any chances.

I've loaded all the spare ammo mags, locked the doors, and broken all the light bulbs in the house, and duct taped all the windows and doors shut. .

I'm not leaving the house until this deal is over. I may have to roast both the dogs to survive though. That'll be a pity. Good thing I've got lots of ketchup.
You should read The Zombie Survival Guide.

My advice, move north now (like Canadian wilderness north). Also save the ketchup for when it comes down to cannibalism. Ketchup may become the new gold after this apocalypse.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
This isn't like Ebola or SARS. It is contagious before showing symptoms. You can carry for 2 weeks thinking you have just a cough before really showing the signs of it. This is much more serious, if what is coming out of china is true, than anything we have seen in a long while. The only reason the CDC is saying that is because the chinese have practically cut off any flow of information about it. But the telling part is the lockdown of several cities housing millions of people. You dont do that for something not potentially devastating to the mass population.

You are correct that this is nothing like ebola. It is very similar to SARS, another novel coronavirus. But based on current data SARS was more contagious (R0 2-5) and had a higher case fatality rate (15%).
The telling part is what was learned from the SARS outbreak which was an overwhelming success. SARS had an R0 high enough to cause a pandemic but was isolated and stopped, despite lack of transparency from the Chinese government. That seems to be improved this time. Saying that the CDC is not saying anything because the Chinese have "cut off the flow of information" is not even close to true as the Chinese are saying far more than in the past. And, with SARS, the Chinese did not flow information yet the CDC did warn.

Of course this has the potential to become something serious but the hyperbole out there is not based on what is known it is based on what is feared.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

In a place as crowded as a Chinese City, yes you do. Outside that type of area, the spreading will be slower.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk