Wudtee enters name in transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I admit it was a little tongue in cheek, but...

Average out of state tuition (most of our players are), room & board, books $35-40,000/yr; average personal allowance $1,800/yr; medical insurance $5,000/yr; access to equipment, warmups, shoes, etc $500/yr; and there are additional grants and other direct financial assistance available. I didn't include anything for the cost of tutors, academic advisors and free services offered. So the average D1 football player is getting a package of benefits easily somewhere in the $40-60,000/yr range. Three years: $120-180,000 and four years $160-240,000. This is average costs the school provides, not expensive schools.

Also all the bowl trip expenses and graft - no charge. And what is the value of a shot at an NFL career? Not gonna get that shot otherwise. But those are not school exclusive so we won't count that, BUT

These kids are getting a valuable package, and they could not earn that kind of $$ working at Micky D's or some other hs grad level job.

BTW, for 85 players that's a payroll of about $3.5 -5.0 million per year.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Zowie! "OK - all grads with eligibility change teams now". Got to wonder if this is a fad because it's new and now they can, or if this is the new reality going forward....

So the school does their part and provides the player with a college degree, and the player bolts with eligibility left. Hmmm, do they owe some $$ back? Can we establish a "buyout" clause for players???
Lol Wutttt. It's no secret that players make universities tons of money. Not to mention all of the community stuff the players do with fan days and such. I don't see the issue in kids graduating and moving on. Kolar wants to play with his brother? Awesome. Daniels wants to do the same in Nebraska? Great. I've never advocated for players to get paid while in college, because I think that's another mess. However, I am fine with grad transfers having immediate eligibility. Sucks OU gets Hurts, but I understand.

Nov 28, 2008

Average out of state tuition (most of our players are), room & board, books $35-40,000/yr; average personal allowance $1,800/yr; medical insurance $5,000/yr; access to equipment, warmups, shoes, etc $500/yr; and there are additional grants and other direct financial assistance available. I didn't include anything for the cost of tutors, academic advisors and free services offered. So the average D1 football player is getting a package of benefits easily somewhere in the $40-60,000/yr range. Three years: $120-180,000 and four years $160-240,000. This is average costs the school provides, not expensive schools.

Also all the bowl trip expenses and graft - no charge. And what is the value of a shot at an NFL career? Not gonna get that shot otherwise. But those are not school exclusive so we won't count that, BUT

These kids are getting a valuable package, and they could not earn that kind of $$ working at Micky D's or some other hs grad level job.

you're quoting prices not costs. If we add one more student to the rolls at OSU, it's TOTALLY not 35,000 in additional costs. It's not zero, but it's nowhere near what you're citing.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

The cost of student aid was 2.5 million last year
The cost of the coaching staff was 8.8 million
The football program had gross revenue of 45.7 million
And cost of 22.4 million giving a bottom line of 22.3 million.

I don’t think the cost of players is an issue.

Jul 31, 2004
Watauga, TX

Remember the revenue sports help to pay for the non revenue sports.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

you're quoting prices not costs. If we add one more student to the rolls at OSU, it's TOTALLY not 35,000 in additional costs. It's not zero, but it's nowhere near what you're citing.
Costs are completely irrelevant. A student athlete on scholarship receives “value” for many services at no cost to the athlete. Such services include:
Tuition
Books
Room
Board
Training
Coaching
Academic counseling
Tutoring
Clothing
Athletic marketing
Medical treatment and care

Now some of the value is based on cost, but nonetheless at OSU, easily valued at over $100k per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2006
A couple of your items you listed seem redundant, but free medical and passes to all home sporting events are also perks.
1800/yr per diem is really low.. Back 15yrs ago monthly per diem for living expense outside of dorm and meal plan was about $500-700/month cash depending on sport plus if you travel depending how long you are gone you're given envelopes w cash for misc expenses. I'm sure those have gone way up in value for total full rides, but you also have to remember every player is not on maximum value scholarship and this get modified by coaching staff after each season, so there's a solid chance transfers meet with Gundy during annual post season meetings and he doesn't increase their scholarship like he said he would if they performed to potential and then players are like peace, I'm out.

I could be wrong but once they graduate I think our metrics are satisfied as far as the transfer rule and osu maintains the high grad ratios to keep us eligible.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas

I'm not looking necessarily at cost to OSU but value to the student. I did that off the top of my head, and other perks could be included. My point was that 18 to 21 year old young athletes get a LOT of value in return for playing their sport. Some is real cost to OSU (room and board for example) and some not totally. I probably should not have used the word "payroll" because that implies all actual dollars paid.

One example I didn't include is higher income a college graduate receives over a high school graduate. Significant. Point being I think they are well compensated for their time. Part of the beauty of the ideal of college athletics; where would a lot of the kids be without the benefits of athletic scholarships?

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
I'm not looking necessarily at cost to OSU but value to the student. I did that off the top of my head, and other perks could be included. My point was that 18 to 21 year old young athletes get a LOT of value in return for playing their sport. Some is real cost to OSU (room and board for example) and some not totally. I probably should not have used the word "payroll" because that implies all actual dollars paid.

One example I didn't include is higher income a college graduate receives over a high school graduate. Significant. Point being I think they are well compensated for their time. Part of the beauty of the ideal of college athletics; where would a lot of the kids be without the benefits of athletic scholarships?
I agree they get great value with an athletic scholarship, but they also have a lot of extracurricular things they must do. I worked about 30 hours a week while taking 15 hours each semester. Although I had plenty of time to complete my coursework, it still was challenging at times. Athletes bring in a boatload of money to the university. I think both sides are compensated pretty well for what they are given. I still don't think college athletes should be paid, but some disagree. We already seem to have enough trouble outside of putting extra cash in their hands.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Costs are completely irrelevant. A student athlete on scholarship receives “value” for many services at no cost to the athlete. Such services include:
Tuition
Books
Room
Board
Training
Coaching
Academic counseling
Tutoring
Clothing
Athletic marketing

Now some of the value is based on cost, but nonetheless at OSU, easily valued at over $100k per year.

I did a back of the envelope calculation of the value of the above services received by each football scholarship athlete. The result was over $250k per year, or $1.0mm over four years.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Its simple. All full scholarship athletes should be able to take a loan per semester up to a designated dollar amount. Like a student loan, interest does not begin for 6 months after graduation or departure... Or the athletic department can pay the interest while attending university.

Student Athletes are highly compensated for their contribution. This entitlement bull crap has to end. This provides a solution that gives them access to additional money if needed or wanted. They would just depart with a few student loans, like the rest of us...

Nov 28, 2008
Tuition
Books
Room
Board
Training
Coaching
Academic counseling
Tutoring
Clothing
Athletic marketing

I did a back of the envelope calculation of the value of the above services received by each football scholarship athlete. The result was over $250k per year, or $1.0mm over four years.

No... costs are not irrelevant but I know some ppl live in that fantasy land. Try telling that to your banker the next time you want a loan.

Nov 28, 2008

Right. It's value (demand) not cost (supply). Imagine allowing players to get paid THEIR value though. Some would be off the charts wealthy.

Oct 30, 2007
Apparently Arlington Hambright pulled his name off of the transfer portal when Henson left. So he'll be back next year. That should help our depth.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Value is a worthless observation to make. It is extremely subjective and different for each individual.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Right. It's value (demand) not cost (supply). Imagine allowing players to get paid THEIR value though. Some would be off the charts wealthy.
Since there is no “market” to pay college players and thus establish their value, in a strict sense they have no value.