Wudtee enters name in transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Coaches could talk to parents, coaches, etc.
From the NCAA bylaws:
13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospective Student-Athletes. An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution’s athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution’s athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide athletically related financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply. If an institution receives a written request from a student-athlete to permit another institution to contact the student-athlete about transferring, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days (see Bylaw 13.02.1) of receipt of the request. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, permission shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide written permission to the student-athlete. [D] (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 4/26/01, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 10/30/14)

"Directly or indirectly" includes through parents or former (high school) coaches. In order for, say, Alabama to contact an Oklahoma State player they have to request permission from Oklahoma State. They have to request permission to contact the player's parents or former coaches.

Y'all are freaking out over nothing. Good luck to Wudtee, hope he finds the playing time he's looking for. This is generally good for the kids.
Great info! The only outlandish thing here is Bama coming for a Cowboy to supplement their roster in the first place.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
This portal stuff is starting to get nuts. I mean I know it does not mean you are definitely transferring by putting your name in the portal but some teams are looking bad. Texas now has 2 QBs and 3 RBs in the portal, Penn State has 11 players in the portal (along with another 7 underclassman players lost to draft etc), and VaTech has 9 in the portal and its coach just issued a statement about it to help calm things down with the fans. Frankly this could become more important to recruit than high school kids for some teams.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
This is something that could really hit teams that are of a lower level. Here are the number of players showing in the portal for some of them:

South Alabama = 7
SMU = 7
Illinois = 8
Louisville = 4

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
From the NCAA bylaws:
13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospective Student-Athletes. An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution’s athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution’s athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide athletically related financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply. If an institution receives a written request from a student-athlete to permit another institution to contact the student-athlete about transferring, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days (see Bylaw 13.02.1) of receipt of the request. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, permission shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide written permission to the student-athlete. [D] (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 4/26/01, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 10/30/14)

"Directly or indirectly" includes through parents or former (high school) coaches. In order for, say, Alabama to contact an Oklahoma State player they have to request permission from Oklahoma State. They have to request permission to contact the player's parents or former coaches.

Y'all are freaking out over nothing. Good luck to Wudtee, hope he finds the playing time he's looking for. This is generally good for the kids.
I’m not freaking out at all. I honestly feel it’s a good tool and agree that it is good for the kids. However I still believe that it creates a situation of constant recruiting and a rule isn’t going to stop that. All coaches, everyone of them knows the rules, knows how close they can get without breaking them, knows the loopholes, and knows what happens if they get caught breaking and weigh their options. One of the many reasons people hate Nick Saben is that he is constantly breaking minor recruiting rules and nothing ever happens to him.

Dec 6, 2013
My first thought was good riddance. Nothing at all against the guy personally, but he wasn't a Big 12 caliber QB in any sense.

And if he hadn't been on the roster this year, then Maybe that would have forced Gundy into developing Sanders at least a little bit in the non-con games. Which if nothing else could have been helpful experience going into 2019.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I’m not freaking out at all. I honestly feel it’s a good tool and agree that it is good for the kids. However I still believe that it creates a situation of constant recruiting and a rule isn’t going to stop that. All coaches, everyone of them knows the rules, knows how close they can get without breaking them, knows the loopholes, and knows what happens if they get caught breaking and weigh their options. One of the many reasons people hate Nick Saben is that he is constantly breaking minor recruiting rules and nothing ever happens to him.
Mmmkay.

Aug 16, 2012
From the NCAA bylaws:

The kids. Kids have significant sway over other kids. Think Hurts has not IM'd some of his buddies? Different venue but similar rules, but look how LeBron has formed teams of his choice despite rules in place to prevent tampering.

Regardless, all you have to do is put your name in the portal and you are now free game. You do not have to transfer if your name is in the portal to my understanding. Yes, there may be some ramifications if you do and then stay put, but if you are a good player, you are going to get the PT anyway.

Not an issue now but I firmly believe it will take a life of its own in the future and the portal will not be filled with disgruntled players looking for PT, but stars looking to link up with other premier players if possible.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The kids. Kids have significant sway over other kids. Think Hurts has not IM'd some of his buddies? Different venue but similar rules, but look how LeBron has formed teams of his choice despite rules in place to prevent tampering.

Regardless, all you have to do is put your name in the portal and you are now free game. You do not have to transfer if your name is in the portal to my understanding. Yes, there may be some ramifications if you do and then stay put, but if you are a good player, you are going to get the PT anyway.

Not an issue now but I firmly believe it will take a life of its own in the future and the portal will not be filled with disgruntled players looking for PT, but stars looking to link up with other premier players if possible.
Stars already link up with other premier players, see Alabama and Clemson and OU and Ohio State and etc. Maybe the portal allows a guy that signs with a blue blood to see that he can get playing time elsewhere and its even easier to move now. I do think there should be some repercussions like they can only transfer once and the can't declare for the NFL draft before graduating if they transfer. I'm not for limiting the freedom of the players at all, they should be eligible immediately and a player that leaves via the portal can be replaced by a player in the portal without counting against the 25/year number. They still count against the 85 scholarship limit however.

EDIT: I'm not say that they are currently eligible immediately or that the can be replaced 1 for 1 or that they can't enter the draft before graduating. I'm saying those would be my suggestions for transfers.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Stars already link up with other premier players, see Alabama and Clemson and OU and Ohio State and etc. Maybe the portal allows a guy that signs with a blue blood to see that he can get playing time elsewhere and its even easier to move now. I do think there should be some repercussions like they can only transfer once and the can't declare for the NFL draft before graduating if they transfer. I'm not for limiting the freedom of the players at all, they should be eligible immediately and a player that leaves via the portal can be replaced by a player in the portal without counting against the 25/year number. They still count against the 85 scholarship limit however.
I know they do and that is my concern. A kid can sway another but until now, there was no vehicle for easy transfer.
I still think a cap needs to be implemented on the number of players a team can sign from the portal each year. No more than two, three tops.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I know they do and that is my concern. A kid can sway another but until now, there was no vehicle for easy transfer.
I still think a cap needs to be implemented on the number of players a team can sign from the portal each year. No more than two, three tops.
"you can't sign more than 2-3 guys that weren't good enough to start for another team".

Make sense to me.

Dec 6, 2013
Why a cap? Eddie Sutton brought in 4 of his 5 starters in 2004 as transfers.

Oct 30, 2007
It's my understanding that regular transfers & grad transfers count against the limit of 25 player signing limit for every recruiting class. So I doubt you'll every see a team take a large number of transfers unless they're trying to find a way to fill their roster like Baylor a few years ago. Most teams will prefer to bring in true freshman that they can develop.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I have no issue with the portal. If Wudtee goes on to Louisiana Tech and starts a year or two at a lower level I don’t see the issue. It benefits both party’s I hope someone in the OSU program is monitoring the portal maybe OSU could find a Grad Transfer DT or DE.

Aug 16, 2012
"you can't sign more than 2-3 guys that weren't good enough to start for another team".

Make sense to me.
Missing the point. The portal is not limited to just disgruntled players/non-starters. Anyone can submit their name.

I am talking about GOOD kids. Starters. Premier players. Putting their names into the portal to become available for blue blood teams to select with the sole intention of playing alongside other premier players and form "superteams". Just watch......

Jan 14, 2006
I have no issue with the portal. If Wudtee goes on to Louisiana Tech and starts a year or two at a lower level I don’t see the issue. It benefits both party’s I hope someone in the OSU program is monitoring the portal maybe OSU could find a Grad Transfer DT or DE.
If this continues I think we will benefit more than most. Our prestige sits in that sweet spot where we rarely win head to head recruiting battles with the Bama and Clemson type schools for high school kids but we are a strong enough program to be attractive to a transfer. Plus we have a recent history of getting transfers into the NFL.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
Missing the point. The portal is not limited to just disgruntled players/non-starters. Anyone can submit their name.

I am talking about GOOD kids. Starters. Premier players. Putting their names into the portal to become available for blue blood teams to select with the sole intention of playing alongside other premier players and form "superteams". Just watch......
But let’s be honest. The players that are “elite” will only play three years anyway regardless of where they sign then they will declare for the draft. Transferring while sitting a year isn’t worth it to the bonafide “NFL prospect” college players.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Make sense to me.

How many premier players entered the portal this year? I mean, real, 5-star, sure fire NFL guys? 1, maybe 2 if that many?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
How many premier players entered the portal this year? I mean, real, 5-star, sure fire NFL guys? 1, maybe 2 if that many?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Idk about sure fire NFL guys, but there are a good amount of 4* kids. What's funny is Bru McCoy, who's an early enrollee for USC and was ranked 27th in this years class just entered his name into the transfer portal. Now that has got to hurt.

Some "high level" kids: Bubba Bolden, Tate Martell, Justin Fields, Kelly Bryant, Hurts, Devon Modster, Cameron Rising, Shawn Robinson, Wimbush, Buchele, Kendall, Amir Rasual, etc. Not all these kids are NFL kids but they are at the least 4* kids.