Wudtee enters name in transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 31, 2004
Watauga, TX
I am curious how transfers and leaving early for the NFL will affect teams. If teams are limited to 25 scholarships a year and 85 total would it be possible that teams have fewer than 85 recruited players?

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
I am curious how transfers and leaving early for the NFL will affect teams. If teams are limited to 25 scholarships a year and 85 total would it be possible that teams have fewer than 85 recruited players?
There are still a lot of walk-ons out there - teams should not have any problems getting at least 85 players. When players transfer or leave early for the NFL - their coveted spots are filled with more recruits or given to a walk-on.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
When a player decides to transfer the school that they're transferring from should be able to replace them with another player in the portal with no scholarship penalty. One for 1 that doesn't effect the 25 scholarship cap. Also if a player transfers they shouldn't be able to declare for the draft early that's the penalty for transferring. All transferring players should be eligible immediately. And they should have a GPA requirement as well, currently a player in good standing (GPA 2.6) can transfer without effecting the APR of the school, but they are student athletes and there should be some additional requirement.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I concur, but.......

There should be a cap on how many kids a team can pull from the portal any given year. Otherwise, what is to keep a blue-blood program from poaching kids with the enticement of playing for a national brand? Scholarship limits will help, but what is keep a team from only filling a portion of their incoming roster with new recruits while they pillage other teams for premier players?
What is the likelihood that Wudtee is going to end up at a blueblood program?

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
There are still a lot of walk-ons out there - teams should not have any problems getting at least 85 players. When players transfer or leave early for the NFL - their coveted spots are filled with more recruits or given to a walk-on.
If you have been at the school for 2 years, then giving a scholarship to the walk-on doesn't count against the 25 but does count against your 85. If less than 2 years, then counts against the 25.

The risk of giving a walk-on a scholarship is that now it is "sort of" committed for 2 years and so if you don't lose 25 scholarships in a year, then you can't give out 25 new ones.

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I'm sorry, that's nuts. Coaches can leave any time they want for any reason they want. Kids ought to be able to seek playing time.
I concur, but.......

There should be a cap on how many kids a team can pull from the portal any given year. Otherwise, what is to keep a blue-blood program from poaching kids with the enticement of playing for a national brand? Scholarship limits will help, but what is keep a team from only filling a portion of their incoming roster with new recruits while they pillage other teams for premier players?
I think the talent level difference between those they have currently and portal players like Wudtee is a natural form of checks and balances. If anything it likely goes the other way, where quality players recruited to the blue bloods that never saw playing time look for other schools to get on the field.

Dec 21, 2008
How many “below average” QB recruits have we brought in the past 10-15yrs and they have either not played or turned out to not be very good. Seems like a lot. So this current trend tells every graduating RS SOPH/JR/Sr if you are not a starter then go leave. This is a very dangerous trend in college football. It’s turned into another JUCO type option, where you are getting a 20/21 yr old who’s been strength training and practicing with a D1 team. Are transfer portal kids all going to get 5 official visits also? Seems like it’s trending in a very bad way

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Not speaking of him specifically but you have to admit, this is a vehicle that can essentially extend recruiting indefinitely during a kid's eligibility.
Agreed. Looking at our situation, we have 2 QBs with high ceilings, big expectations, and 4 years of eligibility. Whether Sanders or Costello get the start, someone will be paying attention.

Mar 30, 2005
NorCal
How many “below average” QB recruits have we brought in the past 10-15yrs and they have either not played or turned out to not be very good. Seems like a lot. So this current trend tells every graduating RS SOPH/JR/Sr if you are not a starter then go leave. This is a very dangerous trend in college football. It’s turned into another JUCO type option, where you are getting a 20/21 yr old who’s been strength training and practicing with a D1 team. Are transfer portal kids all going to get 5 official visits also? Seems like it’s trending in a very bad way
To your point, we have had a few walk-ons (other than Weeden) that have been through the program that have been serviceable FBS players at other programs (Richard Lagow at Indiana and Jake Hubanek at aTm).

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Not speaking of him specifically but you have to admit, this is a vehicle that can essentially extend recruiting indefinitely during a kid's eligibility.
Can't talk to the kid until he enters the portal, while he is still at the school. Y'all are freaking out unnecessarily. This is good for the kids. The NCAA has been stacked pretty one-sided power-wise against the kids. It's time to give the kids some power back.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I thought having Wudtee as a TE was a great move. We've all seen him playing QB from time to time and he's just not good enough for this program. He had potential as a TE with his height and weight, but he seems to want to sling the rock somewhere else.
Good luck to him.

The transfer rule is here.
It's both good and bad.
It's good for the kids that are stuck with a coach that doesn't believe in them or is stuck on some "loyalty project" to prove a point.

We simply have to do a better job of snagging kids off the list like everyone else is.

This will be a freakin' sh*t show in a year from now as more and more kids will be leaving to get more for themselves.
And I'm wondering if the whole signing period thing will go away in the long run and it will be open season for recruits on an annual basis.

The team rosters are going to change so often now, it'll be hard to keep up with who's who.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
I thought having Wudtee as a TE was a great move. We've all seen him playing QB from time to time and he's just not good enough for this program. He had potential as a TE with his height and weight, but he seems to want to sling the rock somewhere else.
Good luck to him.

The transfer rule is here.
It's both good and bad.
It's good for the kids that are stuck with a coach that doesn't believe in them or is stuck on some "loyalty project" to prove a point.

We simply have to do a better job of snagging kids off the list like everyone else is.

This will be a freakin' sh*t show in a year from now as more and more kids will be leaving to get more for themselves.
And I'm wondering if the whole signing period thing will go away in the long run and it will be open season for recruits on an annual basis.

The team rosters are going to change so often now, it'll be hard to keep up with who's who.
Wudtee was never a TE... lol

Woods on the other hand, has seemed to embrace his role as a CW.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Can't talk to the kid until he enters the portal, while he is still at the school. Y'all are freaking out unnecessarily. This is good for the kids. The NCAA has been stacked pretty one-sided power-wise against the kids. It's time to give the kids some power back.
While I heavily agree with your last statement you have to be naive to believe recruiting isn’t going on behind the scenes. Coaches could talk to parents, coaches, etc. The middlemen these coaches rely on for recruiting could play a big role.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Coaches could talk to parents, coaches, etc.
From the NCAA bylaws:
13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospective Student-Athletes. An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution’s athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution’s athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide athletically related financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply. If an institution receives a written request from a student-athlete to permit another institution to contact the student-athlete about transferring, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days (see Bylaw 13.02.1) of receipt of the request. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, permission shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide written permission to the student-athlete. [D] (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 4/26/01, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 10/30/14)

"Directly or indirectly" includes through parents or former (high school) coaches. In order for, say, Alabama to contact an Oklahoma State player they have to request permission from Oklahoma State. They have to request permission to contact the player's parents or former coaches.

Y'all are freaking out over nothing. Good luck to Wudtee, hope he finds the playing time he's looking for. This is generally good for the kids.