Wudtee enters name in transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
This transfer stuff is a joke. They need to give kids 4 yr contract scholarships. Just because you aren't good enough shouldn't give you the right to jump ship. If it is mutual then I am all for it

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
This transfer stuff is a joke. They need to give kids 4 yr contract scholarships. Just because you aren't good enough shouldn't give you the right to jump ship. If it is mutual then I am all for it
So a kid that really wants to play should be forced to sit behind someone else his entire career? Or if the kid gets there and things are not exactly the way they were presented during recruiting? If coaches can leave for better opportunities then so can the kids.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm sorry, that's nuts. Coaches can leave any time they want for any reason they want. Kids ought to be able to seek playing time.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm sorry, that's nuts. Coaches can leave any time they want for any reason they want. Kids ought to be able to seek playing time.
Not to mention, this makes a scholarship available for a kid that really wants to be here, like a walkon that's been paying his dues. I've got not problem with it.

Aug 16, 2012
I concur, but.......

There should be a cap on how many kids a team can pull from the portal any given year. Otherwise, what is to keep a blue-blood program from poaching kids with the enticement of playing for a national brand? Scholarship limits will help, but what is keep a team from only filling a portion of their incoming roster with new recruits while they pillage other teams for premier players?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Why?

He isn't going to play, which is why he has chosen to leave. So the effect of that is it opens up another scholarship for the incoming class. Which may lead to an incoming scholarship athlete that will contribute to the team with playing time.

Mar 8, 2010
I like the rule. This isn't Cuba. Americans have choices. A pro career might be in the balance if a kid is allowed to play and excel at another school Imagine Bake Mayfield being a back-up quarterback for four years at Tech.

Aug 16, 2012
Why?

He isn't going to play, which is why he has chosen to leave. So the effect of that is it opens up another scholarship for the incoming class. Which may lead to an incoming scholarship athlete that will contribute to the team with playing time.
I can see this both ways. Was a time when playing for the university of your choice was the goal, the dream, and even if not good enough to start or play much, you were there, helping, and getting an education. On the other hand, there are a lot of kids who see the school as a vehicle simply for them to play and if it does not work out, they move on.

One or the other is not right. Different kids have different reasons for their choices.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I concur, but.......

There should be a cap on how many kids a team can pull from the portal any given year. Otherwise, what is to keep a blue-blood program from poaching kids with the enticement of playing for a national brand? Scholarship limits will help, but what is keep a team from only filling a portion of their incoming roster with new recruits while they pillage other teams for premier players?
There already is a limit, as all transfers now count toward the 25 a year total players added. Thus every transfer taken means one less spot for a high school recruit.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
I can see this both ways. Was a time when playing for the university of your choice was the goal, the dream, and even if not good enough to start or play much, you were there, helping, and getting an education. On the other hand, there are a lot of kids who see the school as a vehicle simply for them to play and if it does not work out, they move on.

One or the other is not right. Different kids have different reasons for their choices.
If we only recruited players who's life goal was to play for Oklahoma State - we couldn't field a team. If your on a roster with no chance of playing -- you are not doing that school any favors by staying either. You can only have 85 scholarships.

Oct 30, 2007
I wish Wudtee well. You can't blame a guy for leaving a place where he's never going to play.

The one rule change I would like to see is to eliminate waivers. Every player should have to sit out for a year regardless of their circumstances if they transfer before graduating. This would cut down on a lot of transfers.

Aug 16, 2012
If your on a roster with no chance of playing -- you are not doing that school any favors by staying either.
I disagree with this. You might not play now, but maybe in the future. Regardless, every team needs scout squads and even if you do not see the field, you can help the team. Teams need depth, frequently more than 2-deep and that is where these kids can help a team.

Aug 16, 2012
I wish Wudtee well. You can't blame a guy for leaving a place where he's never going to play.

The one rule change I would like to see is to eliminate waivers. Every player should have to sit out for a year regardless of their circumstances if they transfer before graduating. This would cut down on a lot of transfers.
I agree, but you are going to run into the "But the coach can leave whenever he wants" argument. Even a couple OSU players were recently quoted as complaining about it. Right or wrong, that argument will always be there.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
I disagree with this. You might not play now, but maybe in the future. Regardless, every team needs scout squads and even if you do not see the field, you can help the team. Teams need depth, frequently more than 2-deep and that is where these kids can help a team.
So you think they should give up their scholarship AND stick around??

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

He signed with Oklahoma State in 2016, choosing the Cowboys over TCU on National Signing Day. Wudtee was considered to be a strong addition at the time after Oklahoma State’s original 2016 quarterback commit, Nick Starkel, flipped to Texas A&M.

If Wudtee ultimately decides to transfer, Oklahoma State will carry three scholarship quarterbacks into the spring: Brown, Sanders and true freshman Brendan Costello.

He would be the sixth scholarship player to transfer from OSU since the start of the season. The other five have all chosen their new schools:

WR Jalen McCleskey (Tulane)
S Thabo Mwaniki (Houston)
RB J.D. King (Georgia Southern)
QB John Kolar (Iowa State)
DT Darrion Daniels (Nebraska)

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

Was a time when professional contracts weren't so lucrative. The kid has worked his tail off through HS and to this point in time at college. He wants to see time on the field not the bench.

I don't blame them for transfering, we both might very well have done the same thing.

There has been an instance where a transfer went on to win a Heisman and one I recall later in his career won a Super Bowl or two.