WSJ: From Roe to Gosnell

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Why does Taranto refer to himself as "we"?
It is the editorial "we". From wikipedia:
The editorial "we"

The editorial we is a similar phenomenon, in which editorial columnists in newspapers and similar commentators in other media refer to themselves as we when giving their opinions. Here, the writer has once more cast himself or herself in the role of spokesman: either for the media institution who employs him, or more generally on behalf of the party or body of citizens who agree with the commentary.

O

osupride97

I can't do that. But if you're a woman at least you can.
I am a woman and I do NOT want to walk in the shoes of a woman who murdered her late term baby. I have given birth to two beautiful daughters and I cannot even imagine doing something so horrific as stabbing them in their spines.

You want me to feel sorry for these women?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
There has been a line drawn in the sand, and the monster who is accused of these crimes has been placed on one side. The OP and company have made sure that they are on the other side of that line, and any attempt to discuss anything related to this issue will have you on their side, or on the other, with said monster.
From the OP: "Welcome to the mushy middle, Roger. This columnist has been here for quite some time, as you can see from this 1999 piece."

O

osupride97

Then tell us how you would force a woman from getting an abortion, since abortion is so deeply offensive and immoral to you.
So, you said you read that article. You don't find the way they killed those babies deeply offensive and immoral?

Or fetuses or whatever term you use.

metallicajake

/insert witty custom title
Feb 8, 2007
Amsterdam, Netherlands
From the OP: "Welcome to the mushy middle, Roger. This columnist has been here for quite some time, as you can see from this 1999 piece."
There is no middle though. You (yes, I am singling out you, Rx) make sure that any comments that might not perfectly align with the vehement anti-abortion stance of you and your peers are tied directly back to the man accused of the crimes above. It is a deliberate attempt to take a general discussion over the rights of women and the unborn and tie one side of the argument to, again, a monster. You immediately took an innocuous response of mine (not even made to you, by the way) and, without addressing a single shred of content from my text, you tried to tie me to the subject of the article.

Again, insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
There is no middle though. You (yes, I am singling out you, Rx) make sure that any comments that might not perfectly align with the vehement anti-abortion stance of you and your peers are tied directly back to the man accused of the crimes above. It is a deliberate attempt to take a general discussion over the rights of women and the unborn and tie one side of the argument to, again, a monster. You immediately took an innocuous response of mine (not even made to you, by the way) and, without addressing a single shred of content from my text, you tried to tie me to the subject of the article.
I was trying to show the absurdity of Townie's original "walk in the shoes" comment, which was no different in kind from my "do you defend Gosnell." Both are intended to silence the other side. I am sure that Townie won't get it, but I was hoping you would.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Some guns kill people, we should ban them all. Some abortion doctors do horrific events, we should ban them all.

Such great logic from RX in this thread. Thank you all for your time.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I was trying to show the absurdity of Townie's original "walk in the shoes" comment, which was no different in kind from my "do you defend Gosnell." Both are intended to silence the other side. I am sure that Townie won't get it, but I was hoping you would.
But RX whether you are able to see it or not, there is so much difference between a doctor whose abortion procedures ended up as murder outside the womb and a woman getting a late term abortion, whether she needed it, or not.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Some guns kill people, we should ban them all.
Killing people with a gun is already a crime. We should prosecute them vigorously.
Some abortion doctors do horrific events, we should ban them all.
Such great logic from RX in this thread. Thank you all for your time.
To me, all abortions are horrific. Killing a baby by snipping its spine is no different than shooting it with a gun.

But I'd be willing to go along with Taranto and repeal Roe and Casey and return the issue to the states. It would be messy, there would be some states where nearly anything is legal, and some states where nearly nothing is legal. But it would be better than the insanity we have now.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
BINGO! Thus my point about the need to walk in the shoes of women who have had to get late term abortions.
You've never been a fetus so how can you - wait you were a fetus and you weren't aborted so you have walked in those shoes.
You are blessed my friend.
I've never murdered anyone how can I say that it's wrong I've never walked in a murderer's shoes. I've never committed arson how can I say it's wrong I've never walked in an arsonists shoes. I've never .....
This reply is not about abortion, per se, it is about the sheer nonsense of saying that I have to be a xxxx or I have to have done xxxx (whatever the discussion is) to know right from wrong.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
It is the editorial "we". From wikipedia:
The editorial "we"

The editorial we is a similar phenomenon, in which editorial columnists in newspapers and similar commentators in other media refer to themselves as we when giving their opinions. Here, the writer has once more cast himself or herself in the role of spokesman: either for the media institution who employs him, or more generally on behalf of the party or body of citizens who agree with the commentary.
Oh. I thought it may have been the Royal We.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_plural

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Killing people with a gun is already a crime. We should prosecute them vigorously.

To me, all abortions are horrific. Killing a baby by snipping its spine is no different than shooting it with a gun.

But I'd be willing to go along with Taranto and repeal Roe and Casey and return the issue to the states. It would be messy, there would be some states where nearly anything is legal, and some states where nearly nothing is legal. But it would be better than the insanity we have now.
so is the gun issue also a states right issue? Can any state have a restrictive laws essentially banning all weapons and another allow it's citizen's the ability to have rocket launcher and other high tech weapons for "defense"?

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
You don't defend Gosnell. How would you stop the killing of babies that are already born and calling it abortion?
Prevention is the best policy to keep from being in the position of choice, late term, or otherwise. But conservatives are against the government making birth control more accessible. Instead, conservatives foolishly want to place trust and faith in the government to do something about abortion by simply banning it. But if it was banned, would you trust a police officer on the way to an illegal abortion site to keep going to it, if the dispatcher gets on and says there is an armed robbery in progress at a bank?

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010

So it wouldn't be too messy to you at all when a pregnant woman in a state where abortion is banned gets on the Internet to become instructed as to what the hell she is supposed to do with a coat hanger to induce an abortion?