Wrestling Recruiting and Lineups Moving Forward

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 14, 2011
I'm excited to see some matches between Kerkvliet and Ferrari down the road! My uneducated take is that Daniel is naturally a bit bigger than AJ, but AJ is probably faster. @CTeamPoke , what say you?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm excited to see some matches between Kerkvliet and Ferrari down the road! My uneducated take is that Daniel is naturally a bit bigger than AJ, but AJ is probably faster. @CTeamPoke , what say you?
I kinda hope Ferrari stays at 197... That weight class is wide open and he's a known commodity at the weight. I think he would win nationals this year at 197 with Kolin Moore being the favorite...

Ferrari and Kirkvliet... I'm really not sure. They've never hit. Kirkvliet (who goes by Greg...) wrestled at a heavier weight than Ferrari up to this point. Of course, he's a year older, so that might play into it... There's also no question about where Kirkvliet is going. He's going to be a heavyweight. He's not going to redshirt this year. He's all in on going up and has been since he committed.

From what I've seen from both, Ferrari is one of the fastest upper weight guys I've ever seen. Gets to legs really fast on his shots. Has an excellent reshoot that he takes advantage of when the initial shot gets blocked. Can go to both sides, left and right... He's really, really good on his feet.

Sep 3, 2019
Stillwater, Ok
We just got a commitment from Teague Travis. He’s the no. 36 overall recruit for 2021 and projects as a 149.

Interesting tidbit: him and our O lone commit Monroe Mills go to the same school and were both on the wrestling team.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The 2021 recruiting class is coming together nicely.

#43 Teague Travis - 149
#4 Travis Mastrogiovanni - 157
#6 Kyle Haas - 285

Pokes are also contenders to land #7 Victor Voinovich, a 141 pounder from Ohio... and #3 Shayne Van Ness, a 133 pounder from Blair Academy.

I don't think we will get Van Ness... but if you get the other 4 and then sprinkle in a couple of other middle weight guys in the top 200, you're probably looking at another #1 overall class.

Speaking of!

OSU locked up the #1 recruiting class for 2020 last week.

#1 AJ Ferrari
#2 Dustin Plott
#16 Travis Mastrogiovanni
#27 Luke Surber
#34 Jakason Burks
#82 Konner Doucet
#162 Daniel Jezik
UR - Alexander Yokubaitis

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Any idea what happened to the heavyweight Tony Andrade? He had a good year at NEO as a freshman but isn’t on their roster for this year.
He committed to Campbell but isn't on their roster either... Nobody really knows. Would be great if there was a coup and Smith and Co. got him signed in time to start the spring.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sheets needs to be replaced. I have seen nothing from him since he was thrust into the line-up last year.
Well John Smith disagrees with you. He thinks Sheets is All-American material this season.

And who would you replace him with? Shomers can't make the weight. Balmaceda came in way underweight. Chance McLane? He's pretty raw talent.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think that this team (2019-2020) has a great opportunity to go out and win a team trophy this season. Healthy G, Boo, and *gulp* Joe Smith have a great opportunity to surprise a lot of national prognosticators and finish as high AAs. They're just so dang talented. So is Geer. Montalvo is a bonus machine that I could see making the round of 12. Witlake is great. He's just really, really solid and seems to be comfortable at the weight. Pich is a finalist contender. Sheets has improved significantly. Only issue is we aren't going to qualify a heavyweight... which is ok!

All that said... I'm so excited about next season and the following seasons.

125:
Jakason Burks (Fr), Trevor Mastrogiovanni (Fr), Daton Fix (R-So).

Personally I think you cut Daton down to 125 for his SOPHOMORE SEASON. Holy smokes. One of the best wrestlers in the world, who will have been on campus for four years, is only going to be a sophomore. Obviously you have Spencer Lee's senior season at Iowa to combat here... but we will probably get a look at how these two stack up against each other in April. Spencer is an incredible wrestler... I think aggressive and confident Daton Fix beats him 10/10. From a conditioning standpoint, they aren't even close. The formula against Spencer for three years has been to get him to the third period. Keep it close, and you have a shot. Daton, on the other hand, has an insanely big gas tank and knows how to use it.

If Daton wants to wrestle at 133, you still have two great options (albeit true freshmen) at 125 in Burks and Mastrogiovanni. I think that Mastro would get the nod... and I think he's the type of talent that will immediately make an impact in our lineup.

133:
Daton Fix (R-So), Reece Witcraft (So), Trevor Mastro (Fr)... Kaid Brock (R-Sr)?

If Daton cuts down, I think it's Witcraft again at 133 for next season. Witcraft is pretty solid and while his true freshman year will see ups and downs because he's pretty raw, the room should get him into good shape for his sophomore year. Wrestling Witcraft here also allows you to redshirt Burks and Mastro, which is certainly a preferred strategy. Mastro has the talent to go here and make an immediate impact as well, and I would be pumped to see it.

Kaid Brock could come back. I think they will try to wrestle him in February this season, and I think that he's pretty done with the whole thing too... but if he wants to take a medical shirt and come back for his sixth year, you obviously slot him in here. He's a great Cowboy. Has over 100 wins on his career. Should be a 3x AA and, as always, could be a champ at 133.

141:
Kaden Gfeller (R-Jr), Brevin Balmaceda (R-Fr)

Kaden is the guy here if he can handle the weight cut... which he needs to do if Boo is back for his sixth season. G is a super talent. Top 15 recruit. Obviously his freshman year didn't finish the way he wanted it to... but if he can go in two weeks in the Bedlam dual, I think we will see him take on and likely give #2 Dom Demas a run, if not beat him. Demas is great... but his upper body style can be beat by G, who is much better at battling that than Said Brock was at 141.

Balmaceda started his redshirt season off great at the OCU open... Lindenwood didn't really go to well. I think he got hurt. But, hey, he's a freshman on redshirt. I think we might see him unattached at the Southern Scuffle and a couple of other opens through the year. He's a solid backup, and then should fill the starting spot at 141 or 149 in his R-So year.

149:
Boo Lewallen (R-Sr), Dan Manibog (R-Fr), Dusty Hone (R-Sr)

If Boo gets his sixth year of eligibility, he will go here. Hopefully his shoulder holds up and he avoids any more injury for the rest of his career. If he does, he's a high AA. He handled Brayton Lee from Minnesota, who is one of the super freshmen that the Flo guys always get excited about. Penn State's guy, Verkleeren, just isn't as good here. Iowa has a guy here that they're redshirting this season that might be good... but Boo has the experience to make a finals run for sure. Of course, Yanni might be at this weight... so we will see.

Dan Manibog... I'm glad he's on the roster and he should provide some solid depth for us at these middle weights.

157:
Wyatt Sheets (R-Jr), Chance McLane (R-Fr), Luke Surber (Fr)

I know that Wyatt didn't have the best season last year... but he's improving quite a bit and I really think we will see him move into a position where he's a low AA or he's close to it this season. He's a solid guy that I think has his best wrestling ahead of him.

Chance McLane had a switch flip starting this summer. Had some great high school tournaments to wrap up his career, and has continued that in his redshirt season. He's undefeated. He's pinning dudes. He's won both open tournaments he's entered this year. @Seth25809er loves him some Chance McLane... and I tend to agree with him. If Wyatt doesn't take the steps he needs to take in 2020, I really think that McLane will take the spot from him in his redshirt season.

Surber is also a great option... but with other guys here, it's probably best to redshirt him.

165:
Travis Wittlake (R-So)

There are some other guys at this weight... but Wittlake will be the starter for four years here if he wants to be. He's having a great freshman season after a slightly rocky redshirt season. He's a cadet world medalist. He was the #6 recruit in his class. Wittlake is the guy unless something bad happens... and I think we have a 3x AA on our hands here. Maybe better. He's competitive in freestyle against guys that have won national titles.

174:
Dustin Plott (Fr), Christian Bahl (R-Jr), Christian McCutcheon (R-Fr)

I think it's going to be Plott here as a true freshman. Dude is the #2 recruit in the country. Absolute stud. The weight class is clearing out of some top level guys this season with Mark Hall graduating... heck with 14 of the top 25 graduating... this could be a great opportunity for Plott to come in and immediately make a huge impact for OSU.

184:
Anthony Montalvo (R-So)

Taco will be the guy here. He's a really solid, albeit a little raw, wrestler. Has excellent conditioning. Should be really, really good in his sophomore season.

197:
Dakota Geer (R-Sr), AJ Ferrari (Fr)

Geer's senior season. He's a solid wrestler. Probably an AA again. Hopefully he puts on good weight for his senior year and can take that next step into a finals contender.

I don't see Ferrari knocking Geer out of the lineup unless he's just that much better as a true freshman... or if he will even be wrestling here. It looks like he's really trying to bulk to where he will be walking around at 250, cutting down to 220 for Olympics, and then wrestling at 285 for college... so I think he'll be the heavyweight, but you also never know! The guy is a total freak with nutrition, so if he wants to cut to 197, I'm sure he'll be able to.

Hwt:
AJ Ferrari (Fr), Konner Doucet (Fr), Austin Harris :(R-Jr), Neil Putnam (R-Jr), unnamed transfer (R-Jr)

I mean... if Ferrari is walking around at 250 then you wrestle him here. Especially if he's in shape. He's an absolute stud on the mat. Extremely strong. Extremely fast. He's going to be a problem for guys at this weight. Will he beat Gable Steveson? I have no idea... Gable is also quick and strong, and weighs 280 lbs. Could Ferrari beat everybody between him and Steveson? Probably.

Doucet could also be really solid here. AA as a freshman? Probably not.. but he'd qualify. Harris and Putnam... I don' think they have it... and unless the transfer is a total stud that we only get for one year in order to redshirt Ferrari and Doucet, I think you roll with the freshmen.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Some new developments have popped up. Kaid Brock is going to appeal for a medical redshirt. Boo Lewallen got an additional year.

Still think we very much could go on a big run starting in 2021 and extending at least 4 years... maybe more.

2021:
125 - Daton Fix - R-So
133 - Kaid Brock - R-Sr
141 - Kaden Gfeller - R-Jr
149 - Boo Lewallen - R-Sr
157 - Wyatt Sheets - R-Jr -OR- Brevin Balmaceda - R-Fr -OR- Chance McLane - R-Fr
165 - Travis Wittlake - R-So
174 - Dustin Plott - Fr
184 - Dakota Geer - R-Sr
197 - AJ Ferrari - Fr
HWT - Shawn Streck - R-Jr

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
2021:
125 - Daton Fix - R-So
133 - Kaid Brock - R-Sr
141 - Reece Witcraft (I can't with G anymore I have decided)
149 - Boo Lewallen - R-Sr
157 - Wyatt Sheets - R-Jr -OR- Brevin Balmaceda - R-Fr -OR- Chance McLane - R-Fr
165 - Travis Wittlake - R-So
174 - Dustin Plott - Fr
184 - Dakota Geer - R-Sr
197 - AJ Ferrari - Fr
HWT - Shawn Streck - R-Jr
I think you're spot on with most of it.. and your 141 is probably more realistic. But I don't like it.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think you're spot on with most of it.. and your 141 is probably more realistic. But I don't like it.
If Balmaceda stays down there I think he will be the guy... And if Seth is right then McLane could totally be the guy at 157 next year.

Kinda sucks that Surber is getting big.. he would've been a fit.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
BIG roster development here for you all...

Brock Martin and Malcolm Rodriguez are joining the wrestling team.

Martin was a 3x Oklahoma state champion at 220 lbs. Rodriguez a 2x state champ at 186 and 195.

Both will wrestle heavyweight... I don't think Gundy would be cool with Rodriguez cutting weight.

Rumor has it that Martin is going to get an opportunity to break into the lineup... He's already bigger than both of the Heavyweights we have in the lineup... And, frankly, his credentials are better as a 3x Oklahoma state champ...