Wrestling Recruiting and Lineups Moving Forward

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
@Seth25809er
@CTeamPoke

Anyone know when Ferrari and Amos are planning to announce their commitment? Maybe one waiting on the other one to announce first?
Not sure on when announcements will come. At one point Ferrari said he was going to in August. I have no idea if that's still his plan.

I think Amos is slow playing his decision. They're really deliberate about the whole process in trying to make the best decision. His official visit isn't until fall, but my guess is it will be a bit before he announces, but really don't know.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Alright so I'm about to do the same thing I've been doing in this thread consistently... I just need somewhere to put my thoughts on this lineup. OSU wrestling for sure has a first world problem moving forward... and I am just really curious how it's all going to come together.

So here's what I think will be the lineups from 2020-2025 (year is in the NCAA tournament)... with likely AA / Finalist / Champ designations.

2020:
125 - Nick Piccininni (R Sr) - AA
133 - Kaid Brock (R Sr) - AA
141 - Kaden Gfeller (R So) - AA
149 - Boo Lewellen (R Sr) - AA -or- Chance McLane (Fr)
157 - Wyatt Sheets (R Jr) -or- Brevin Balmeceda (Fr)
165 - Joe Smith (R Sr) - AA
174 - Travis Wittlake (R Fr) - AA
184 - Anthony Montalvo (R Fr) - AA
197 - Dakota Geer (R Jr) - AA
HWT - Austin Harris (R So) - AA

2021:
125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni (Fr) - AA -or- Jakason Burks (Fr) - AA
133 - Daton Fix (R So) - Champ
141 - Kaden Gfeller (R Jr) - AA -or- Reece Witcraft (R Fr) - AA
149 - Boo Lewellen (MR Sr) - AA -or- Kaden Gfeller (R Jr) - AA -or- Chance McLane (R Fr / So)
157 - Wyatt Sheets (R Sr) - AA -or- Dan Manibog (R Fr)
165 - Brevin Balmeceda (R Fr) - AA
174 - Travis Wittlake (R So) - AA
184 - Anthony Montalvo (R So) - AA
197 - Dakota Geer (R Sr) - AA
HWT - Austin Harris (R Jr) - AA

2022:
125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni (So) - AA -or- Jakason Burks (So) - AA
133 - Daton Fix (R Jr) - Champ
141 - Reece Witcraft (R So) - AA
149 - Kaden Gfeller ( R Sr) - AA
157 - Chance McLane (R So)
165 - Brevin Balmeceda (R So) - AA
174 - Travis Wittlake (R Jr) - AA
184 - Dustin Plott (R Fr) - Finalist
197 - Braxton Amos (R Fr) - Finalist
HWT - Austin Harris (R Sr) - AA

2023:
125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni (Jr) - AA -or- Jakason Burks (Jr) - AA
133 - Daton Fix (R Sr) - Champ
141 - Reece Witcraft (R Jr) - AA
149 - Shayne Van Ness (R Fr) - AA
157 - Jordan Williams (R Fr) - AA
165 - Travis Mastrogiovanni (R Fr) - AA
174 - Travis Wittlake (R Sr) - AA
184 - Dustin Plott (R So) - Finalist
197 - Braxton Amos (R So) - Finalist
HWT - Konner Doucet (R So) - AA

2024:
125 - Jakason Burks (R Jr) - AA
133 - Trevor Mastrogiavanni (R Jr) - AA
141 - Reece Witcraft (R Sr) - AA
149 - Shayne Van Ness (R So) - AA
157 - Jordan Williams (R So) - AA
165 - Travis Mastrogiovanni (R So) - AA
174 - Tate Pickolo (R So) - AA
184 - Dustin Plott (R Jr) - Finalist
197 - Braxton Amos (R Jr) - Finalist
HWT - Kyle Haas (R So) - Finalist

2025:
125 - Jakason Burks (R Sr) - AA
133 - Trevor Mastrogiavanni (R Sr) - AA
141 - Zack Blakenship (R So) - AA
149 - Shayne Van Ness (R Jr) - AA
157 - Jordan Williams (R Jr) - AA
165 - Travis Mastrogiovanni (R Jr) - Finalist
174 - Tate Pickolo (R Jr) - AA
184 - Dustin Plott (R Sr) - Finalist
197 - Braxton Amos (R Sr) - Finalist
HWT - Kyle Haas (R Jr) - Finalist

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
Out of curiosity... What do you envision happening with Doucet after the 2023 season? AA as a redshirt sophomore and then not wrestle again as our HWT? Would he not be a RS Jr in 2023? For some reason I thought he would be a 2020 commit.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Out of curiosity... What do you envision happening with Doucet after the 2023 season? AA as a redshirt sophomore and then not wrestle again as our HWT? Would he not be a RS Jr in 2023? For some reason I thought he would be a 2020 commit.
He is a 2020 commit... I just think Kyle Haas will be a heavyweight coming in and after a couple of seasons in the program will beat out Doucet.

Haas is really, really good and is still growing. He's on the freestyle and greco cadet world teams this year and he dominated his bracket in both at 195 lbs... and he's going into his junior year in high school.

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
He is a 2020 commit... I just think Kyle Haas will be a heavyweight coming in and after a couple of seasons in the program will beat out Doucet.

Haas is really, really good and is still growing. He's on the freestyle and greco cadet world teams this year and he dominated his bracket in both at 195 lbs... and he's going into his junior year in high school.
Ok I was paying very little attention after 2023 if I am being real honest.. ADHD gets me every time.. but I agree that Haas is the wrestler with more upside.. just sorta forgot about him. We have so many top tier recruits coming in I am honestly having hell trying to remember who/when/etc.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ok I was paying very little attention after 2023 if I am being real honest.. ADHD gets me every time.. but I agree that Haas is the wrestler with more upside.. just sorta forgot about him. We have so many top tier recruits coming in I am honestly having hell trying to remember who/when/etc.
I seriously think we are primed to go on a decade long run of championships here from 2021 forward... and I sure hope it comes to fruition.

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
I seriously think we are primed to go on a decade long run of championships here from 2021 forward... and I sure hope it comes to fruition.
Ok so here is a spinoff question for you.. At what point does Coach Smith say "I've done all I can do" and step away? And who in the world do we use to replace the GOAT?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ok so here is a spinoff question for you.. At what point does Coach Smith say "I've done all I can do" and step away? And who in the world do we use to replace the GOAT?
I honestly don't know. It's really hard to tell when he will decide to hand off the program or to whom... I do think he wants it to be on top, so if we go on a 7 year run here I could see him calling it quits when he turns 60... and if Daton Fix rattles off 6 world titles and two Olympic golds in the next 6 or 7 years then I could see him being the guy that takes over the program. He'd be 30. He would be a 3 time NCAA champ, 2 time Olympic gold medalist, 6 time world gold medalist... He'd be the new goat and kids would love to come wrestle for him.

I think that Perry and Esposito would love to take it over... Same with Dieringer... and I think they would all be great options.

But if Fix does what we all think he's capable of doing then I think he's the next head coach of our program.

Dec 21, 2008
Interesting to see the 125 4xAA projections and Plott and Amos as multi time finalist projections. That middle of the lineup just looks so unknown. So you thinking AJ picks Rutgers? He strikes me as a guy who wants to be a face of a program rather than a part of a hopeful dynasty run.

Daton is real similar to John personality wise. Real even keel. Takes the highs with the lows. But when John gets pissed watch out lol I honestly don’t know if Daton has that personality because he’s so quiet. But 10yrs from now with a neck full of medals he may be different. I love Zach Chris & Ringer. Awesome representatives of the orange & Black! Hoping Ringer can get an Olympic medal(s) before he’s done. I like that 60yo prediction! Gives us time to fundraise and close the gap on PsU before he retires

Who’s Haas?

& thank you for continuous posts!!

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Interesting to see the 125 4xAA projections and Plott and Amos as multi time finalist projections. That middle of the lineup just looks so unknown. So you thinking AJ picks Rutgers? He strikes me as a guy who wants to be a face of a program rather than a part of a hopeful dynasty run.

Daton is real similar to John personality wise. Real even keel. Takes the highs with the lows. But when John gets pissed watch out lol I honestly don’t know if Daton has that personality because he’s so quiet. But 10yrs from now with a neck full of medals he may be different. I love Zach Chris & Ringer. Awesome representatives of the orange & Black! Hoping Ringer can get an Olympic medal(s) before he’s done. I like that 60yo prediction! Gives us time to fundraise and close the gap on PsU before he retires

Who’s Haas?

& thank you for continuous posts!!
I'm obviously extremely optimistic so some of my lineup and AA / Finalist projections could be way off... however I do believe that the recruits we are bringing in are absolutely all capable of being 4 time AAs. Almost all of them are multiple time AAs at the cadet and junior level already. Multiple world team members and medalists. That success almost always translates into greatness at the college level.

That said... Nick Piccininni, Kaid Brock and Joe Smith were all in that same camp and none of them will be 4x AAs... although I think that is mostly due to circumstance. Picc got an atrocious draw at NCAAs in 2018 and had to run through 1and 4 before the blood round which knocked him out. Kaid was never the same after his knee injury his freshman year... and if he had been at 133 this year he probably AAs again and would be a 4xer. Joe got that crap draw this year that screwed him up...

So it's easy to sit here and say that these guys are 3,4,5 time junior AAs therefore they'll be multiple time NCAA AAs... but reality sometimes punches you in the face there.

157 has been weak in the recruiting for sure... that said, somebody like Reece Witcraft could put on the weight to be great at 157 or one of the guys projecting as a 141 or 149 could get there as well. From 165 up we have some absolutely loaded classes and studs coming in.

Of course... if my projections work out and we have 9 AAs and 3 finalists every year, we should win national titles. Penn State's model has been to have 3 or 4 finalists (that dominate everybody along the way) and then 3 or 4 AAs on top of that. They haven't had more than 7 AAs in a single year in their run... and we've had as many as 8. If we can get over that hump and have 3 or 4 finalists with 2 or 3 being champs and dominating through the tournament then we'll displace them.

Fundraising is a while other issue... I really need to reach out to my contact in development and see what can be done to help there.

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
You know... we say that 157 has been weak for recruiting but between Dan Manibog, Brevin Balmeceda, and Luke Surber one of them is going to have to cut down to 157 to be in the lineup... and that's if they can beat Wyatt Sheets, who @Seth25809er is saying got an extra year of eligibility AND has made big improvements so far this offseason.

Then if we get Travis Mastrogiovanni he will slot in around that weight too.

There will also be guys that just pop up out of nowhere from being in the room. Colt Denney, Wes Ahrberg, Chance McLane, Dusty Hone, Hanyu Qiu... you never know with some of these dudes.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
So Haas is now the #1 heavyweight prospect in the country.

Doucet is on this list too... just down at #18. I think that Doucet is better than that, he just wrestles at 220 and needs a couple of years to put on some more good weight.

Again, Haas is pretty much an OSU lock with his brother being Tyler Caldwell and all of that.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 11.35.26 AM.png

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wow so for the 2020 class we currently have the following guys committed:

125: #2 prospect Trevor Mastrogiovanni
133: #6 prospect Jakason Burks
174: #2 prospect Luke Surber
184: #2 prospect Dustin Plott
285: #18 prospect Konner Doucet

and we are pushing for a commitment from either:
197: #1 prospect AJ Ferrari
197: #2 prospect Braxton Amos

For the 2021 and 2022 classes, we are actively recruiting and should probably expect a commitment from the following guys:

141: #1 prospect Shayne Van Ness (class of 2021)
141: #4 prospect Zach Blakenship (class of 2022)
141: #6 prospect Wyatt Henson (class of 2021)
149: #7 prospect Vince Zerban (class of 2021)
149: #10 prospect Jordan Young (class of 2021)
157: #2 prospect Victor Voinovich (class of 2021)
157: #6 prospect Jordan Williams (class of 2022)
157: #11 prospect Teague Travis (class of 2021)
165: #2 prospect Travis Mastrogiovanni (class of 2021)
184: #9 prospect Tate Picklo (class of 2021)
285: #1 prospect Kyle Haas (class of 2021)

You could probably call one of the Ferrari / Amos duo a lock to come to OSU.

You can also call Blakenship, Williams, and Haas locks for the two future classes... I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw Travis Mastro commit pretty quickly as well as Voinovich...

Basically Tyler Caldwell is crushing it and we are going to be really freaking good soon.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Wow so for the 2020 class we currently have the following guys committed:

125: #2 prospect Trevor Mastrogiovanni
133: #6 prospect Jakason Burks
174: #2 prospect Luke Surber
184: #2 prospect Dustin Plott
285: #18 prospect Konner Doucet

and we are pushing for a commitment from either:
197: #1 prospect AJ Ferrari
197: #2 prospect Braxton Amos

For the 2021 and 2022 classes, we are actively recruiting and should probably expect a commitment from the following guys:

141: #1 prospect Shayne Van Ness (class of 2021)
141: #4 prospect Zach Blakenship (class of 2022)
141: #6 prospect Wyatt Henson (class of 2021)
149: #7 prospect Vince Zerban (class of 2021)
149: #10 prospect Jordan Young (class of 2021)
157: #2 prospect Victor Voinovich (class of 2021)
157: #6 prospect Jordan Williams (class of 2022)
157: #11 prospect Teague Travis (class of 2021)
165: #2 prospect Travis Mastrogiovanni (class of 2021)
184: #9 prospect Tate Picklo (class of 2021)
285: #1 prospect Kyle Haas (class of 2021)

You could probably call one of the Ferrari / Amos duo a lock to come to OSU.

You can also call Blakenship, Williams, and Haas locks for the two future classes... I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw Travis Mastro commit pretty quickly as well as Voinovich...

Basically Tyler Caldwell is crushing it and we are going to be really freaking good soon.
Let's pump the brakes a little here.

Getting one of Ferrari/Amos is far from a certainty.

Haas is probably the only lock for 2021.

I don't believe OSU is even pursuing Williams yet, and wouldn't call Blankenship a lock. Good chance on Blankenship, but long way from a lock.

The staff has a good relationship with Voinovich, but expecting a commitment soon is probably a bit overzealous. He's from central Ohio and let's face it, Ohio State is going to have a shot.

Van Ness has agreed to a visit, but will be getting offers from everyone.

Mastro looks promising as long as OSU can hang on to his brother.

Did you mean "Carter Young" at 149? He's probably the closest to a lock for 2021 besides Haas and I'd put Mastro third on that list.

Just an FYI, but some of the guys on the list of people you have OSU as "Actively recruiting/expecting commitments" they haven't even talked to.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009

I don't believe OSU is even pursuing Williams, and wouldn't call Blankenship a lock. Good chance on Blankenship, but long way from a lock.

The staff has a good relationship with Voinovich, but expecting a commitment soon is probably a bit overzealous. He's from central Ohio and let's face it, Ohio State is going to have a shot.

Did you mean "Carter Young" at 149? He's probably the closest to a lock for 2021 besides Haas and I'd put Mastro third on that list.

Just an FYI, but a number of the guys on the list of people you have OSU as "Actively recruiting/expecting commitments" they haven't even talked to.
Thanks Seth. I like Real info. Not sunshine.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

I don't believe OSU is even pursuing Williams, and wouldn't call Blankenship a lock. Good chance on Blankenship, but long way from a lock.

Just an FYI, but some of the guys on the list of people you have OSU as "Actively recruiting/expecting commitments" they haven't even talked to.
Well I guess I should preface all of my posts with the obvious fact that I have absolutely no inside info on our wrestling program and this is just me speculating. Occasionally I chat with Kaid Brock about hunting and fishing... But that's as close as I am to anything or anybody.

And I am all on board the hype train. I think any wrestler that doesn't commit to OSU is destined to be a loser.