Wrestling Recruiting and Lineups Moving Forward

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
On all of the brackets he was marked representing "Oklahoma" the same as Heil and Collica...

I had trouble keeping up with a lot of it as the matches move so quick.
Maybe a typo or something. I'm not 100% sure whether or not he'll end up at OSU, but he's not associated with the OU RTC.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
With the addition of Alex Kauffman from NEO, the room is getting pretty tight from 165-197.

I still really think it would be best for Wittlake to take his Olympic Redshirt for the 2019-2020 season and take advantage of another year... I don't think we are looking at a title next season, but should for 2021 and on.

For 2019-2020, it really just seems to make sense to go with this lineup:

125: Piccinnini (senior year... going for it all)
133: Brock (Fix takes ORS, Brock bumps back down for one last shot at glory)
141: Gfeller (natural weight)
149: Boo (please don't get hurt again)
157: Sheets (getting much better... could see plenty of improvement from him)
165: Shomers (senior year)
174: Joe Smith (senior year redemption tour at more natural weight)
184: Montalvo / Hughes / Kauffman (log jam... no real bad option here... I like the freshman but Hughes has been quality as well)
197: Geer (returning AA at 184 and he wants to wrestle up here... needs to bulk up a little though so hopefully he's spending some time with Gary C. this summer and that's why we haven't seen him in freestyle comps)
HWT: Austin Harris as CBJ 2.0 (wrestling really well in freestyle at 220... just put on the bulk and he should be pretty dang good here)

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Y'all this 2020 and possibly 2021 recruiting class is going to be amazing for OSU. Tyler Caldwell is earning his keep, no doubt. And Oklahoma youth wrestling has made huge strides. Here are some guys to keep an eye on...

Class of 2020:

113 - #12 - Tristan Mascarenas - NM
120 - #4 - Jakason Burkes - Nebraska - committed to OSU
126 - #1 - Trevor Mastrogiavanni - NJ (Blair) - committed to OSU
126.- #3.- Julian Tagg - CO
126 - #12 - Dominic Chavez - TX
138 - #16 - Ryder Ramsey - OK - committed to Army
145 - #16 - Chase Warden - TX
152 - #9 - Gabe Johnson - OK
152 - #20 - Jaxon Garoutte - CO
160 - #3 - Luke Surber - OK - committed to OSU
160 - #11 - Elise Brown Ton - TX
170 - #10 - Duwayne Villalpondo - KS
182 - #1 - Dustin Plott - OK - committed to OSU
195 - #1 - Braxton Amos - WV
195 - #17 - Matt Santos - OK
195 - #19 - Gavin Carter - KS
220 - #1 - AJ Ferrari - TX
220 - #2 - Konner Doucet - OK - committed to OSU
220 - #15 - Cade Lautt - KS
285 - #12 - Cooper Webb - OK
285 - #16 - Andy Garcia - CO
285 - #17 - Chidozie Nwankwo - TX

Would really like to see us go out and get a commitment from Gabe Johnson at 152. I'm worried about 149-165 moving forward, and depth is never a bad thing. I just love the depth here from surrounding states and really think we should get some of the TX guys just because if the sport ever gets more popular down here, OSU needs to be seen as THE PLACE to be.

Class of 2021:
106 - #6 - Eli Griffin - OK
106 - #10 - Donavan Whitted - TX
113 - #4 - Braxton Brown - TX
113 - #6 - Jett Strickenberger - CO
113 - #7 - Tucker Owens - OK
120 - #3 - Vince Cornella - CO
126 - #2 - Vance Vombauer - CO
132 - #1 - Shayne Van Ness - NJ (Blair)
138 - #2 - Wyatt Henson - MO
138 - #3 - Teague Travis - MO
152 - #2 - Trevor Mastrogiavanni - NJ (Blair)
170 - #2 - Tate Pickolo - OK
182 - #1 - Peyton Craft - NJ (Blair)
195 - #1 - Kyle Haas - KS
220 - #3 - Emmanuel Skillings - OK

It's looking like we are pretty much a lock for Kyle Haas, as he is Tyler Caldwell's brother. We also have great relationships with Henson and Travis out of Missouri. Wyatt Henson's father, Sammy Henson, was the coach at West Virginia and has started up an academy outside of St. Louis that should start funneling some of those kids our way... I also really like our chances with the Blair kids with the Mastrogiavanni brothers coming our way.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Y'all this 2020 and possibly 2021 recruiting class is going to be amazing for OSU. Tyler Caldwell is earning his keep, no doubt. And Oklahoma youth wrestling has made huge strides. Here are some guys to keep an eye on...

Class of 2020:

113 - #12 - Tristan Mascarenas - NM
120 - #4 - Jakason Burkes - Nebraska - committed to OSU
126 - #1 - Trevor Mastrogiavanni - NJ (Blair) - committed to OSU
126.- #3.- Julian Tagg - CO
126 - #12 - Dominic Chavez - TX
138 - #16 - Ryder Ramsey - OK - committed to Army
145 - #16 - Chase Warden - TX
152 - #9 - Gabe Johnson - OK
152 - #20 - Jaxon Garoutte - CO
160 - #3 - Luke Surber - OK - committed to OSU
160 - #11 - Elise Brown Ton - TX
170 - #10 - Duwayne Villalpondo - KS
182 - #1 - Dustin Plott - OK - committed to OSU
195 - #1 - Braxton Amos - WV
195 - #17 - Matt Santos - OK
195 - #19 - Gavin Carter - KS
220 - #1 - AJ Ferrari - TX
220 - #2 - Konner Doucet - OK - committed to OSU
220 - #15 - Cade Lautt - KS
285 - #12 - Cooper Webb - OK
285 - #16 - Andy Garcia - CO
285 - #17 - Chidozie Nwankwo - TX

Would really like to see us go out and get a commitment from Gabe Johnson at 152. I'm worried about 149-165 moving forward, and depth is never a bad thing. I just love the depth here from surrounding states and really think we should get some of the TX guys just because if the sport ever gets more popular down here, OSU needs to be seen as THE PLACE to be.

Class of 2021:
106 - #6 - Eli Griffin - OK
106 - #10 - Donavan Whitted - TX
113 - #4 - Braxton Brown - TX
113 - #6 - Jett Strickenberger - CO
113 - #7 - Tucker Owens - OK
120 - #3 - Vince Cornella - CO
126 - #2 - Vance Vombauer - CO
132 - #1 - Shayne Van Ness - NJ (Blair)
138 - #2 - Wyatt Henson - MO
138 - #3 - Teague Travis - MO
152 - #2 - Trevor Mastrogiavanni - NJ (Blair)
170 - #2 - Tate Pickolo - OK
182 - #1 - Peyton Craft - NJ (Blair)
195 - #1 - Kyle Haas - KS
220 - #3 - Emmanuel Skillings - OK

It's looking like we are pretty much a lock for Kyle Haas, as he is Tyler Caldwell's brother. We also have great relationships with Henson and Travis out of Missouri. Wyatt Henson's father, Sammy Henson, was the coach at West Virginia and has started up an academy outside of St. Louis that should start funneling some of those kids our way... I also really like our chances with the Blair kids with the Mastrogiavanni brothers coming our way.
Class of 2021:
152 - #2 - Trevor Travis Mastrogiavanni - NJ (Blair)

FIFY

I agree with everything have posted. I am really loving all the TX kids popping up in the national rankings recently. Hope wrestling really catches on there and we keep them all close to home.

Dec 21, 2008
Do you think Ohio state has like “endowed” scholarships that boosters and donors can “choose to give that incoming freshmen a few thousand dollars” type of scheme? I want to say RTCs can give money maybe? Is that even an option?

Also how did we get Mastro? We have a connection or do some kids just want to go to the historically best program? Assume we get his brother and maybe a future teammate or two?

Man if we got AJ and let Konnor RS and bulk up that’s a scary athletic top 2!!

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Do you think Ohio state has like “endowed” scholarships that boosters and donors can “choose to give that incoming freshmen a few thousand dollars” type of scheme? I want to say RTCs can give money maybe? Is that even an option?

Also how did we get Mastro? We have a connection or do some kids just want to go to the historically best program? Assume we get his brother and maybe a future teammate or two?

Man if we got AJ and let Konnor RS and bulk up that’s a scary athletic top 2!!
I think there is absolutely some shady stuff going on with Ohio State and Penn State with their gray shirt policies and heavily funded RTCs.

I think it's between us and Rutgers for Ferrari though... and if Ferrari picks Rutgers (which, frankly, it kind of looks like he's going to) then I think Braxton Amos will come to OSU.

Jun 14, 2011
I think there is absolutely some shady stuff going on with Ohio State and Penn State with their gray shirt policies and heavily funded RTCs.

I think it's between us and Rutgers for Ferrari though... and if Ferrari picks Rutgers (which, frankly, it kind of looks like he's going to) then I think Braxton Amos will come to OSU.
Taking a step back from AJ specifically and looking at the OSU program as a whole over the next few years, what are the thoughts on AJ and his brother (assuming that we could get both if AJ commits) vs Amos alone? Obviously getting either Braxton or AJ would be amazing, but is it worth it to pursue the Ferrari's as a group or push for Amos b/c of his chemistry with the other incoming commits? Been thinking about this 1st world problem for a bit now. Clutching my pearls at which top ranked wrestler we want over the other...

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Taking a step back from AJ specifically and looking at the OSU program as a whole over the next few years, what are the thoughts on AJ and his brother (assuming that we could get both if AJ commits) vs Amos alone? Obviously getting either Braxton or AJ would be amazing, but is it worth it to pursue the Ferrari's as a group or push for Amos b/c of his chemistry with the other incoming commits? Been thinking about this 1st world problem for a bit now. Clutching my pearls at which top ranked wrestler we want over the other...
Anthony is a stud, so getting the brothers would be a big win for the program... plus there's the Allen recruiting pipeline, which we need to continue to nurture. That program is getting really good...

That said, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they picked Rutgers. I don't think they're going to turn into the next Penn State or anything like that, and I think that with Braxton Amos we could make the same run from 2021 onward.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Anthony is a stud, so getting the brothers would be a big win for the program... plus there's the Allen recruiting pipeline, which we need to continue to nurture. That program is getting really good...

That said, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they picked Rutgers. I don't think they're going to turn into the next Penn State or anything like that, and I think that with Braxton Amos we could make the same run from 2021 onward.
Also @PJ-OSU, if we miss on Ferrari and get Amos and Haas next year... It really will work out fine.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
This isn't the only reason, but a big part of getting Mastro is he, Plott and Doucet are all really close friends. Have been for years. They were all sorta recruited as a group. Did their visits together, etc...

They're all three really close with Amos as well, which is why OSU has a pretty reasonable shot there.

Very, very high probability OSU lands Travis as well. Some other Blair kids will at least be taking visits, but I'm not really sure what the odds are with them.