Wrestling Pokes Might Have Back-to-Back #1 Recruiting Classes...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
That is absolutely insane. The fact that Coach Smith basically refused to recruit and his complete disregard for RTC's which is such a huge part of wrestling now shows to me that he is really behind the times and maybe it's time for new blood sooner rather than later.
Except we landed some of these recruits because of him. Namely the Mastros and Ferrari. His name still carries a ton of weight.

The RTC thing... I mean it’s an NCAA violation and based on his experience in the early 90s I can’t blame him for staying out of it. Plus it has to be fully endowed... the Hawkeye Wrestling Club is failing because they try to rely on small donations to fund the program and when the donations dried up we see them starting fires with cutting the women. Penn State, Ohio State and Princeton all have endowed RTCs... we can’t even get funding for a new facility because our fan base is too lazy, or too poor, to make it happen! Frankly OSU wrestling is lucky that all of our scholarships and coaching positions are fully endowed! Otherwise we would be on the chopping block.

Smith is going to get to 30 years and become the winningest college coach of all time. That’s just the reality of it. He’s chasing down the guy from Oregon State. OSU isn’t going to move on from Smith... he has to be allowed to retire on his terms.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
everyone thinking we are just gonna win 2 or 3 national titles in a row because of our recruiting classes are crazy. We have had #1 recruiting classes before recently and haven't won. Honestly, I just hope we win 1 title in the next 4 year cycle. The transfer portal has COMPLETELY changed things when you have studs and legit title contenders like Eierman just up and leaving and going to Iowa
It’s not automatic but I feel way more confident in the optimistic side than the pessimistic side of this scenario.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
everyone thinking we are just gonna win 2 or 3 national titles in a row because of our recruiting classes are crazy. We have had #1 recruiting classes before recently and haven't won. Honestly, I just hope we win 1 title in the next 4 year cycle. The transfer portal has COMPLETELY changed things when you have studs and legit title contenders like Eierman just up and leaving and going to Iowa
Name a #1 recruiting class in the past 10 years.....I don’t remember out recruiting PSU or Iowa during that time.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Name a #1 recruiting class in the past 10 years.....I don’t remember out recruiting PSU or Iowa during that time.
We've regularly out-recruited Penn State... but they get one hammer a class that has pretty much panned out for them every year. Except for in the lighter weights. And it seems like that's evened out quite a bit, as all of their transcendent guys have now resonated (one of which, Mark Hall, was only a one time champ... which is insane to think about).

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We've regularly out-recruited Penn State... but they get one hammer a class that has pretty much panned out for them every year. Except for in the lighter weights. And it seems like that's evened out quite a bit, as all of their transcendent guys have now resonated (one of which, Mark Hall, was only a one time champ... which is insane to think about).
I know you're about to get defensive about this, but if we've out-recruited them and they have produced much better results, that reflects poorly on coaching.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I know you're about to get defensive about this, but if we've out-recruited them and they have produced much better results, that reflects poorly on coaching.
No you're not wrong at all.

A big part of it is the culture that Cael has created at Penn State... And those hammers have really produced well. I mean, 6 years ago we all thought that Kaid Brock would be on par with Zain Retherford... It just didn't work out that way for one reason or the other. Some think it's burn out with Kaid.

A lot has changed in Stillwater in the last three years. Yes, the name at the top hasn't... But I don't necessarily think that was a problem.

I also can say definitively that OSU is better at developing talent than Penn State is. Preston Weigel, Nolan Boyd, Boo Lewallen... Heck Dusty Hone... Penn State can't take under the radar guys like that and turn them into All Americans.

So... Yeah... I don't know what to say. Things are changing. I'm still far more confident in the optimistic side of these outcomes.

Sep 9, 2013
Flynn, WVU's wrestling coach, said WVU is spending a fortune on a lunge, weight room, and other wrestling facilities. He said it is hard to say it's the best in the country, but it will be in the top 5. He said recruiting is skyrocketing. facilities talk is at the end.

https://t.co/x5utn3D4EH

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
What are your thoughts on the new heavy weight out of texas? Will the new SHS head wrestling coach have any bearing on developing young talent to stay at OSU?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think the kid out of New Braunfels is a very interesting pickup. We may never see him start.... But I love having a guy that walks around at 278 and pinned everybody he wrestled his senior year of high school in the room. I don't think we've had a guy that big in a really long time. He will lose some weight being in the room, but if he works with Gary C and gets some good muscle on... He'll be a monster.

Having a good coach at SHS is great but I also think that it hurts more to lose Matt Surber at Tuttle... Also with new recruiting approach it's just not as important for SHS to be a blue chip factory. Maybe if, say, the Ferraris move to Stillwater it will help the younger brothers a) mature and b) develop better than they would in Texas.... But those two guys are already really good. The youngest one might be the best of the Ferrari bunch.

cowboyfanatic

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2010
oklahoma city, OK
What are your thoughts on the new heavy weight out of texas? Will the new SHS head wrestling coach have any bearing on developing young talent to stay at OSU?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think the kid out of New Braunfels is a very interesting pickup. We may never see him start.... But I love having a guy that walks around at 278 and pinned everybody he wrestled his senior year of high school in the room. I don't think we've had a guy that big in a really long time. He will lose some weight being in the room, but if he works with Gary C and gets some good muscle on... He'll be a monster.

Having a good coach at SHS is great but I also think that it hurts more to lose Matt Surber at Tuttle... Also with new recruiting approach it's just not as important for SHS to be a blue chip factory. Maybe if, say, the Ferraris move to Stillwater it will help the younger brothers a) mature and b) develop better than they would in Texas.... But those two guys are already really good. The youngest one might be the best of the Ferrari bunch.
I read somewhere the Marsh kid didn’t give up a single offensive takedown his senior year. That’s pretty impressive. I don’t know what the competition is like down there but still impressive.