Wrestling Pokes Might Have Back-to-Back #1 Recruiting Classes...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Let me direct you to the second post in this thread.
How high do you think Gfeller could finish if he is reinstated? Also, seemed like Sheets and Wittlake, and even Hone made tremendous strides late in the season, what do you think their ceilings are next year? Wittlake seems like the kind of dude that could win it all now with the right matchups. Would Montalvo redshirt if Ferrari forces Geer to cut down to 184? My gut says I would like to see Geer go down, he looked a little overmatched at times at 197, but Taco looked really good at the end of the season.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
How high do you think Gfeller could finish if he is reinstated? Also, seemed like Sheets and Wittlake, and even Hone made tremendous strides late in the season, what do you think their ceilings are next year? Wittlake seems like the kind of dude that could win it all now with the right matchups. Would Montalvo redshirt if Ferrari forces Geer to cut down to 184? My gut says I would like to see Geer go down, he looked a little overmatched at times at 197, but Taco looked really good at the end of the season.
G... honestly I have no clue. He has all of the talent to compete for a title at 141 or 149, but it’s just a matter of him doing it.

Wittlake is absolutely a title contender. He gave the favorite, Alex Marinelli, everything he could handle in the dual last year and just fell a little short in the last minute of the match. There’s no question that he could catch Marinelli and get a win. There’s no question that he could win a rematch with his only other loss last season Shane Griffith. Wittlake is a blue chip stud and pretty much proved that last season.

The Taco / Geer situation is tough because those guys are good buddies. They train together and know each other well. Taco doesn’t have another redshirt available if they decide to wrestle Ferrari as a true freshman. So they would have to wrestle off. I think either Geer or Taco would All-American in the 184 bracket. Geer might have a higher ceiling though... of course he’s a known commodity and a retuning AA.

Apr 14, 2009
Well with all the great news about recruiting National title caliber wrestlers. If the next two seasons end Like the last nine. I would say a coaching change would be in order. But that’s just me. And this is a message board. I’m entitled to my opinion.
I arrived at his opinion because
I’ve been told by a man who’s been around the cowboy wrestling program since the 50s. That if a lot of the old-timers were still alive John Smith would not be the coach.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Well with all the great news about recruiting National title caliber wrestlers. If the next two seasons end Like the last nine. I would say a coaching change would be in order. But that’s just me. And this is a message board. I’m entitled to my opinion.
I’ve been told by a man who’s been around the cowboy wrestling program since the 50s. That if a lot of the old-timers were still alive John Smith would not be the coach.
I would agree that if there isn’t a title in the next four years that Smith will retire.

I wasn’t disparaging an opinion... just pointing out that I already addressed the “when will the next title be” question in the second post of the thread.

Sep 6, 2014
That is wild. Where are you hearing that? Just out of curiosity. I follow this stuff pretty close, and haven't seen it put out there at all.

Not that it would be that surprising to not hear about something negative at Iowa. Especially from Flo.

You see the chaos going on right now as the news broke yesterday about the HWC cutting the women and their funding? Tom Brands tried to BS about the whole thing and Ali Regan set the record straight and now Flo is burning from putting out a false narrative.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
True, you're entitled to your opinion, just remember those same people are entitled to their "own opinion" when they're critical of a certain HC in women's basketball. Can't have it both ways.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Don’t kid yourself, the winningest wrestler in world history as our coach and just signed back to back number one classes and possibly a third on the way. John Smith can name his retirement date, no one is ever going to force him out from OSU.

Sep 6, 2014
Don’t kid yourself, the winningest wrestler in world history as our coach and just signed back to back number one classes and possibly a third on the way. John Smith can name his retirement date, no one is ever going to force him out from OSU.

that is an absolutely backwards way of thinking. He was the winningest wrestler in world history a long time ago and hasn't won an NCAA championship in almost 15 years. He also almost always has top 5-10 recruiting class. I think its crazy to give him a lifetime coaching contract just because he was a great wrestler back in the day. If that was the case coaches would never get fired. Unfortunately like everyone else in college wrestling we have run into the Cael train but Iowa seems to have found as way as they were clearly the best team last year and next year too.

if he can't get us over the hump maybe they should go after a Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder, Kyle Dake or David Taylor type of coach in a few years (I know the Chris Perry or Esposito is realistically going to be our next coach)

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
You see the chaos going on right now as the news broke yesterday about the HWC cutting the women and their funding? Tom Brands tried to BS about the whole thing and Ali Regan set the record straight and now Flo is burning from putting out a false narrative.
Yeah it’s blowing up now. You were way in front of it. Are you on the Pat Mineo page or something?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yeah I love John Smith and want him to be the head coach for as long as he wants to be... but the reality is that OSU is in the longest title drought we’ve ever had and while pulling in a top class this year, potentially a top class the next two years, is great... there’s still little margin for error with Penn State, Iowa, and Ohio State still right there with a ton of talent and great coaching.

He won’t be fired... but if there isn’t a title in the next three years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire and let some new blood take over. It’s getting to the point where it is time... closing in on 30 years.

I think Chris Perry is going to be a great coach for OSU.

Sep 6, 2014
Yeah I love John Smith and want him to be the head coach for as long as he wants to be... but the reality is that OSU is in the longest title drought we’ve ever had and while pulling in a top class this year, potentially a top class the next two years, is great... there’s still little margin for error with Penn State, Iowa, and Ohio State still right there with a ton of talent and great coaching.

He won’t be fired... but if there isn’t a title in the next three years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire and let some new blood take over. It’s getting to the point where it is time... closing in on 30 years.

Why? Not that Perry won't be a VERY good coach but very good isn't enough for this program, we should be getting an ELITE coach after Smith, one who every recruit in the country wants to wrestle for. Perry shouldn't be given the job just because he is the nephew of the GOAT

Sep 6, 2014

Everyone wants to talk about the Big 10 teams but I think Cornell may be better than all of them (minus Iowa). They have Vito Arujau (who beat Piccinnini as a freshman in the NCAA's), Greg Diakimohulis (Yanni's brother who is a STUD coming in), Yianni, Max Dean, Ben Darmstadt. That is 4 guys who can very easily take Top 3 next year

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Why? Not that Perry won't be a VERY good coach but very good isn't enough for this program, we should be getting an ELITE coach after Smith, one who every recruit in the country wants to wrestle for. Perry shouldn't be given the job just because he is the nephew of the GOAT
Well Perry is a huge reason why they’ve pulled in the top recruiting class this year, probably could pull in the top class next year, and his relationships have them on a trajectory to have an even better class in 2022. Perry is the one that has led to the change in strategy for recruiting. He’s helped guys like Derek White and Anthony Montalvo develop into AA caliber wrestlers, and he’s an energetic, young coach with a very sound NCAA wrestling pedigree to his name.

He also hates losing but makes it fun.

I don’t think he would be getting the job just because he’s Smith’s nephew... and I don't think OSU will hire an outsider.

Dream scenario would be for Coleman Scott to come take it over though.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Everyone wants to talk about the Big 10 teams but I think Cornell may be better than all of them (minus Iowa). They have Vito Arujau (who beat Piccinnini as a freshman in the NCAA's), Greg Diakimohulis (Yanni's brother who is a STUD coming in), Yianni, Max Dean, Ben Darmstadt. That is 4 guys who can very easily take Top 3 next year
Cornell is great and yes better than most of the Big 10, but they're like Mizzou... Good for 3-5 every year but not on the same level as the big 4 (PSU, Iowa, tOSU, OSU).

Sep 6, 2014
Well Perry is a huge reason why they’ve pulled in the top recruiting class this year, probably could pull in the top class next year, and his relationships have them on a trajectory to have an even better class in 2022. Perry is the one that has led to the change in strategy for recruiting. He’s helped guys like Derek White and Anthony Montalvo develop into AA caliber wrestlers, and he’s an energetic, young coach with a very sound NCAA wrestling pedigree to his name.

He also hates losing but makes it fun.

I don’t think he would be getting the job just because he’s Smith’s nephew... and I don't think OSU will hire an outsider.

Dream scenario would be for Coleman Scott to come take it over though.

What's the change in strategy in recruiting? (serious question). Coleman Scott is your dream scenario but how about bring back Pat Popolizio, he has been incredible at NC State

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
What's the change in strategy in recruiting? (serious question). Coleman Scott is your dream scenario but how about bring back Pat Popolizio, he has been incredible at NC State
Well namely they actually go out and recruit guys now... Before Chris and Tyler joined, they relied on the name brand and that OSU would get guys because we are OSU and the GOAT is the coach. Now there's a whole program around reaching out, building relationships, getting to visits and getting the guys on the current team to help recruit. Really it was Daton Fix taking all of his visits, coming back, and saying that OSU's process really sucked and that if it hadn't been a dream of his to wrestle at OSU, he would have gone somewhere else. That is when they hired Caldwell and promoted Chris.

As to Scott and Pop... Coleman is a younger guy that has the international credentials to help him sell to recruits. He's from Pennsylvania, came to OSU, and had a ton of success. Plus he knows how important having great assistants is and would go out of his way to go find the best like he has with Tony Ramos. Pop is great... But I think he will be a lifer at NC State and that is 100% his program. Dude basically has a lifetime contract there.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net

I’m not saying that’s what I think should happen, I’m just saying that it is a fact that there is no way anybody is going to fire John Smith. He will leave when he decides to leave regardless of what you or I may think should happen. He’s OSU royalty. I think it’s a moot point anyway because I think we’re getting ready to string two or three titles in a row with the classes we have coming in.

Dec 21, 2008
I know Coleman well and that would be an intriguing situation for him but I think he would jump at it. He is a very humble focused driven and quietly intense young man. Similar to a young John. Even picked up Johns Oklahoma accent lol I think it would be awesome to get Kenny and JO and some of our big name all stars back around the program. We’ve produced a ton but just like Ringer leaving for his gf and $ it stings sending all our guys out and watering down what’s around our small town.

I like Chris also and think he’s a great leader and fiery competitor. Fun is the best thing you said CT. He knows when to have fun because he’s lived it. I’ve seen him around Daton and Nic and others and they all enjoy each other. That’s huge imo while others may argue the opposite. I think if we can get the facility built soon and get a heritage hall if wrestling only or connect the building to the HOF it’ll help us even more. It’s crazy we mostly give 20% scholarships to kids and we can still get them from the NE esp the way those NE RTCs are doing some pretty gray area cheating

Sep 6, 2014
everyone thinking we are just gonna win 2 or 3 national titles in a row because of our recruiting classes are crazy. We have had #1 recruiting classes before recently and haven't won. Honestly, I just hope we win 1 title in the next 4 year cycle. The transfer portal has COMPLETELY changed things when you have studs and legit title contenders like Eierman just up and leaving and going to Iowa

Sep 6, 2014
Well namely they actually go out and recruit guys now... Before Chris and Tyler joined, they relied on the name brand and that OSU would get guys because we are OSU and the GOAT is the coach. Now there's a whole program around reaching out, building relationships, getting to visits and getting the guys on the current team to help recruit. Really it was Daton Fix taking all of his visits, coming back, and saying that OSU's process really sucked and that if it hadn't been a dream of his to wrestle at OSU, he would have gone somewhere else. That is when they hired Caldwell and promoted Chris.

That is absolutely insane. The fact that Coach Smith basically refused to recruit and his complete disregard for RTC's which is such a huge part of wrestling now shows to me that he is really behind the times and maybe it's time for new blood sooner rather than later.