Wrestling Pokes Might Have Back-to-Back #1 Recruiting Classes...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
So Coach Smith and company just locked in the #1 recruiting class for 2020 (in spite of Flo's best efforts to devalue it) with several top talents. https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6742723-2020-recruiting-class-rankings

The 2020 Class consists of the following...

#1 AJ Ferrari, TX - 197lbs (will not hear your opinions on him going heavyweight. He's not big enough)
#2 Dustin Plott, OK - 174lbs
#13 Trevor Mastrogiovanni, NJ - 133lbs
#42 Luke Surber, OK - 165lbs
#46 Jakason Burks, NE - 125lbs
#52 Daniel Jezik, IL - 184lbs
#110 Konner Doucet, OK - 285lbs
Alexander Yokutabis, LA - 133lbs
Trevor Dopps, KS - 184lbs

Most of these guys are absolute studs and could compete for starting spots right away. Namely Dustin Plott at 174, as there isn't currently a known commodity at that weight and Plott could have easily been the #1 recruit in this class. He's very special. Great defensive wrestler. He was hurt all of his senior season and decided to sit out when he could have come back in order to be ready to compete for this starting spot... so let's hope there's not a lingering issue there. If there is, he'll redshirt. Same with all of these guys.

Ferrari... Ferrari is an absolute hammer. What we've all been craving to see since Mocco or Ringer. Tenacious. Aggressive. Mean ass wrestler. He's fast. He's freakishly strong. If the lineup plays out for him to get in it this coming season, he will be competing for a spot in the NCAA finals and a championship. He's that good. It's also why he needs to goat 197 instead of heavyweight.

We may also see Konner Doucet start at heavyweight, depending on how his weight gain has been going and on how he performs in the room. There's a transfer from Purdue that we are likely to see here, but the word is that he's still trying to get qualified to transfer into OSU. Doucet would benefit greatly from a redshirt and some time training with Derek White. But it wouldn't shock me to see him in the lineup.

Mastro and Burks are great supplements to the lower weights. Mastro is extremely polished and comes from Blair Academy in New Jersey. Depending on how the lineup shakes out, both of these guys will redshirt. However, if Fix doesn't cut down to 125 then we could see one of these guys at that weight as a true freshman.

The surprise of this class that most of the experts like Seth Duckworth and Willie Saylor are excited about is Daniel Jezik. He's a multi sport athlete and was recruited by D1 schools in all three of football, baseball, and wrestling. I haven't caught up on film of him, but like I said the experts are excited about him and I am no expert.

For the 2021 class... OSU already has the following committed:

#4 Travis Mastrogiovanni, NJ - 157lbs
#6 Kyle Haas, KS - 285lbs
#11 Victor Voinovich, OH - 149lbs
#36 Teague Travis, MO - 125lbs

And rumor has it that they are still working on three more Top 100 (and possibly one top 10) additions to this class. So far, no other program has more than 1 top 50 commitment.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Oh and to get out ahead of the "so when do we win #35!"

I think there's a very, very real shot that Coach Smith and OSU Wrestling bring home #35 next season... and it almost becomes certain from 2022-2025.

Here's how I see the 2021 lineup playing out...

125 - Daton Fix (RSo) - Finalist or champ
133 - Kaid Brock (RSr) - 5th place or better
141 - Dusty Hone (RSr) -or- Kaden Gfeller (RJr) -or- Brevin Balmaceda (RFr) - R12.
149 - Boo Lewallen (RSr) - 4th place or better
157 - Wyatt Sheets (RJr) - 8th place or better
165 - Travis Wittlake (RSo) - 5th place or better
174 - Dustin Plott (Fr) - AA... I think that Plott could be a finalist contender as a freshman. This weight clears out a ton after this season... all of then best guys graduated... Plott could be the guy.
184 - Anthony Montalvo (RSo) -or- Dakota Geer (RSr) - Depends on how good Ferrari is immediately against Geer, which would force a cut by Geer, who I think is a top 3 guy at 184. Montalvo, I think, will be an AA contender. He improved a ton at the end of the season.
197 - Dakota Geer (RSr) -or- AJ Ferrari (Fr) - AA or better regardless of who goes here.
285 - Shawn Streck (RJr) -or- Austin Harris (RJr) -or- Konner Doucet (Fr) - I think best case here is R12 guys.

So in 2021 we might not see 8 All-Americans with 2 finalist contenders... which in most years would win a national title. Iowa returns everybody from their lineup last year, Penn State has some studs coming into the program but I don't think they replace the production of Vincenzo Joseph and Mark Hall... but imagine this...

Saturday night at the NCAA Finals. Oklahoma State and Iowa are neck and neck... and it's all going to come down to the 125 match between Daton Fix and 2x champ Spencer Lee. They'll match up again in three weeks at the Olympic Team Trials. It's what we've all wanted since Daton knocked Spencer out of the Junior World Team Trials in 2016.

Talk about must watch television!

In 2022... a lot changes and OSU 100% has the horses to go capture a national title with this lineup.

125: Trevor Mastrogiovanni (RFr) -or- Jakason Burks (RFr)
133: Daton Fix (RJr)
141: Kaden Gfeller (RSr) -or- Brevin Balmaceda (RSo) -or- Reece Witcraft? (RSo)
149: Victor Voinovich (Fr) -or- Brevin Balmaceda (RSo) -or- Dan Manibog (RSo)
157: Wyatt Sheets (RSr) -or- Travis Mastrogiovanni (Fr) -or- Chance McLane (RSo)
165: Travis Wittlake (RJr)
174: Dustin Plott (So)
184: Anthony Montalvo (RJr) -or- Daniel Jezik (RFr) -or- Luke Surber (RFr)
197: AJ Ferrari (RFr/So)
285: Shawn Streck (RSr) -or- Konner Doucet (RFr/So) -or- Kyle Haas (Fr)

Y'all... that lineup has the pedigree to produce 10 Top 5 seeds at the NCAA tournament. On paper, we could be the runaway favorite to go win a title in 2022... and that lineup is very young with the exception of Wyatt Sheets and Kaden Gfeller.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Maybe I'm dreaming this, but didn't Fix have some trouble at the Olympic trials, that would affect his college career?
So two things on this...

1) No. They were not at Olympic trials. Those haven't happened. He allegedly tested positive for an illegal substance (the active ingredient in ADD medications) at a qualifying event in Italy. The rumor is that Daton has a prescription for this medication, and there was a clerical error with the tournament in Italy, so USA Wrestling is appealing the WADA suspension on behalf of Daton.

2) Nothing official has come out on this from USA Wrestling, OSU Wrestling, or the Fix family. The only person that has discussed it or reported it is a noted false news source named Pat Mineo. Pat takes in every rumor that is out there, and blasts it out as fact. Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut... but on his last 6 rumors he has only hit once and that was that NCAAs would be cancelled.

So... no. I don't think that anything will impact Daton's career at OSU and fully expect him to wrestle this coming season.

Well

This is how I spend time.
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
So two things on this...

1) No. They were not at Olympic trials. Those haven't happened. He allegedly tested positive for an illegal substance (the active ingredient in ADD medications) at a qualifying event in Italy. The rumor is that Daton has a prescription for this medication, and there was a clerical error with the tournament in Italy, so USA Wrestling is appealing the WADA suspension on behalf of Daton.

2) Nothing official has come out on this from USA Wrestling, OSU Wrestling, or the Fix family. The only person that has discussed it or reported it is a noted false news source named Pat Mineo. Pat takes in every rumor that is out there, and blasts it out as fact. Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut... but on his last 6 rumors he has only hit once and that was that NCAAs would be cancelled.

So... no. I don't think that anything will impact Daton's career at OSU and fully expect him to wrestle this coming season.
Thanks for the information.

Feb 5, 2007
I don't think you'll see Kaid at 133 again. He was coming back at 141 until he had his setback. And GFeller is out, no longer with the Pokes.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I don't think you'll see Kaid at 133 again. He was coming back at 141 until he had his setback. And GFeller is out, no longer with the Pokes.
I don’t have any inside info, but wouldn’t it be best for the team for Kaid to cut down to 133?

I suppose with G out, which doesn’t surprise me, Kaid fits at 141, Fix at 133 and then either Witcraft cuts to 125 or one of the freshmen goes.

I think that long term it’s better if Trevor Mastro bulks up to 141.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Since Olympics were delayed, any chance Olympic redshirts happen again?
I think that the NCAA will grant them but I don’t think that Daton would take one. On a podcast recently, John Smith said that he doesn’t see Daton taking another one because he will need the 30 matches or so to be in shape for Olympic Trials. Plus his competition is super strong for 57kg with Gilman moving to Penn State to train, Spencer Lee looking as good as he ever has, Nick Suriano likely taking another Olympic Redshirt, and Seth Gross having a full year to get his body in peak shape to maintain 57kg... it would probably be best for Daton to wrestle the full season at 125 to keep his body in condition for the weight and to get matches in there as well.

Ferrari might, just for the development year and to retain eligibility. But that’s 100% speculation.

Sep 6, 2014
It’s true gfeller is dismissed. Kid was given many chances and has squandered them.
sad to hear, G was my favorite Poke during his freshman year. Loved the grit and toughness he wrestled with. I wonder where he is gonna wind up, wherever he does he will likely be a multiple time AA, too bad he couldn't get his crap together in Stillwater

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I am super yolked about stealing Victor Voinovich from Ohio State, this kid is going to be an absolute hammer!!!
Technically it was between OK State and Cornell.

But yeah pulling kids out of Ohio is big and has worked out well with Dean Heil, Anthony Collica (4x Big 12 champ)... Alan Fried... I’m sure there are plenty of others.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Man, if I had sources I'd be poking around to find out!

I'm curious too, but I guess that's water under the bridge at this point.
I would hold your horses. Hearing he’s in the dog house, but unless he was literally kicked off the team yesterday (which I don’t see John Smith doing over teleconference) then he is still on the team and working to earn his way back into good graces and the starting lineup.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I would hold your horses. Hearing he’s in the dog house, but unless he was literally kicked off the team yesterday (which I don’t see John Smith doing over teleconference) then he is still on the team and working to earn his way back into good graces and the starting lineup.
Last I heard with Gfeller was there were some academic issues and he was done for the year. There are probably some other underlying issues not made public as well because lots of kids have academic issues and work through them. Hope everything gets straightened out and he makes a comeback.