Wrestling Pokes @ Iowa - Sunday - 7pm - Big Ten Network

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
And so It was revealed.
I think this performance clearly shows us the state of the storied cowboy wrestling program.

The performance tonight speaks for itself.

Taking into account that most of the old-timers in the white jacket club are now gone. If they were still alive there would be some major changes made. If we continue down this path without some changes being made. Oklahoma State we will no longer be a blue blood wrestling program going forward.
Some of us saw this train wreck coming.
Iowa has been building for this year for the last several years, its not like they have been this dominant every season. Don't let this loss distract you from the fact that we handed it to them last year in GIA. We lost 3 starters for the year (fix, brock, and gfeller), before the season started. Coaching isn't the issue; facilities, recruiting, and wrestling in the Big 12 are the problems this program has been facing. We have addressed the recruiting issues (No. 1 class with 2 of the top 3 recruits coming in next year, not to mention Fix returning, and potentially Brock and Gfeller too). Holder has mentioned wrestling is next on the list for facilities upgrades, which should be a big boost in recruiting as well. Unfortunately, Cale just built a monster at Penn St. There have been a few years that without that dynasty in full effect, we would have won the national championship. A coaching change would do nothing but harm the momentum the program has going into next year.

Apr 14, 2009
How many years has it been since O-State won a national Championship?
I know it the longest stretch in school history. A fire needs to be lit! The Champion
wrestlers and teams of the past 90 years are owed the effort by all of us to work to bring back our program to the highest levels. Showing up for matches. Donating money. Holding the administration and the coaches accountable. Wrestling has been where we have hung our hat for a long time. A lot of work needs to be done.
I hope last night was a wake up call.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
That's part of the difficulty of this situation, and the reason I feel like the wrestling world has shifted to Big 10 country, the last 2 years in a row I think the Big 10 has held 4 of the top 5 spots.

Even in all those Gable years when Iowa took over the sport, we were always #2 or 3. Lately Ped State owns the sport, but we aren't just 1 good program away from a bunch of nattys. There have been a couple of years in the last decade where we weren't even top 5, which would be tolerable in most sports, but hard to adjust to for us in wrestling. Again it's not just us, nobody in the Big 12 has really made a run at this thing in a while.
Ok let me unpack this one. The best teams are in the Big 10. Absolutely. There’s just a large concentration of them... then there’s Cornell, Lehigh, and Missouri. That has kinda always been true... when you look at Oklahoma, yeah it has a strong tradition of producing wrestling talent but the population was never going to match or support what comes out of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New Jersey. Same with Iowa. Not a single guy in Iowa’s starting lineup is from Iowa.

And yeah the Big 10 has occupied four of the top 5 most of the last 10 years... you know who that one other usually was? OSU or Missouri.... OSU far more often.

I understand and appreciate that the expectation is National Titles. Trust me. I want them just as much as you and everybody else does. But there also needs to be a recognition that OSU’s challenges are almost directly related to a shift in recruiting that didn’t happen until about 3 years ago and poor facilities. It’s not geography or coaching that is holding OSU back... we have seen how well our coaches can recruit without a great facility, imagine what will happen when that is done.

Now... because most high level wrestlers have to go out and make good grades and get high test scores... it is getting a lot harder to recruit against the Michigan, Cornell, Princeton, Northwestern and Penn’s of the world. OSU can’t match the academic opportunities offered at those schools... so that should present an interesting challenge.

Sep 6, 2014
That's part of the difficulty of this situation, and the reason I feel like the wrestling world has shifted to Big 10 country, the last 2 years in a row I think the Big 10 has held 4 of the top 5 spots.

I think that Big 10 wrestling gets the SEC football treatment. Not that they aren't the best wrestling conference by far (it is), but when they have had teams this year like Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota (who we beat), Michigan all ranked ahead of us this year, even Ohio State I think we match up well with as flawed as we are. Don't get me started on on having teams like NC State, North Carolina or Va Tech ranked ahead of us too. I think AT OUR BEST with our current lineup we can compete with any team not named Iowa or Penn State this year. Unfortunately this team is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get (from Witcraft, Sheets, Joe Smith, Geer)

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think that Big 10 wrestling gets the SEC football treatment. Not that they aren't the best wrestling conference by far (it is), but when they have had teams this year like Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota (who we beat), Michigan all ranked ahead of us this year, even Ohio State I think we match up well with as flawed as we are. Don't get me started on on having teams like NC State, North Carolina or Va Tech ranked ahead of us too. I think AT OUR BEST with our current lineup we can compete with any team not named Iowa or Penn State this year. Unfortunately this team is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get (from Witcraft, Sheets, Joe Smith, Geer)
This was the first and only dual of the year with 19 of 20 wrestlers ranked. Even when OSU is down... They're still super deep with talent. We dominated Minnesota and probably would beat Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan pretty comfortably.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
FWIW we don't have the same competition in conference that the Big 10 teams do, we wrestle a strong schedule every year to offset that fact but if you look at the Big 12, Northern Iowa has been in the top 3 in conference for the last few years. I have nothing against them because they really care about wrestling, but that tells you where ou, ISU and WVU are in terms of big schools and competition. Looking at what we have coming back and coming in next year we are going to be competing for a national championship barring any major injuries.
Barring any major injuries OR suspensions...

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
How many years has it been since O-State won a national Championship?
I know it the longest stretch in school history. A fire needs to be lit! The Champion
wrestlers and teams of the past 90 years are owed the effort by all of us to work to bring back our program to the highest levels. Showing up for matches. Donating money. Holding the administration and the coaches accountable. Wrestling has been where we have hung our hat for a long time. A lot of work needs to be done.
I hope last night was a wake up call.
Where are you when we win? I just checked all of the dual posts this year and you literally only chimed in for the three losses. And then you bring the doom and gloom after NCAAs wrap up. What’s the deal with that? Do you even enjoy the sport?

Sep 6, 2014
Barring any major injuries OR suspensions...
I guess it's time to talk about what no one seems to want to........MANY sources but not yet confirmed have stated that Fix popped positive for drugs at the tournament in Italy, the same one that Zhaid and a couple other Euro's also got popped. Unfortunately I have a feeling where there's smoke there's fire

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I guess it's time to talk about what no one seems to want to........MANY sources but not yet confirmed have stated that Fix popped positive for drugs at the tournament in Italy, the same one that Zhaid and a couple other Euro's also got popped. Unfortunately I have a feeling where there's smoke there's fire
1582561739323.png

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yes it is a rumor but it is being reported by others unfortunately so figured it should at least be added into the discussion of possible future problems.
Well the rumor is that it was an ADD treatment that he does have a prescription for... He just didn't get it cleared due to clerical issue.

Zahid was cocaine.

So the cases are wildly different.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Well the rumor is that it was an ADD treatment that he does have a prescription for... He just didn't get it cleared due to clerical issue.

Zahid was cocaine.

So the cases are wildly different.
Of course they are vastly different and it has also been rumored to be Zahids 3rd failed drug test for cocaine. I don't care that much about what happens with Zahid, the point is it could still be a problem for Daton if true and the NCAA decides to match any suspension given by WADA.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Of course they are vastly different and it has also been rumored to be Zahids 3rd failed drug test for cocaine. I don't care that much about what happens with Zahid, the point is it could still be a problem for Daton if true and the NCAA decides to match any suspension given by WADA.
Yeah I understand. That guy that first reported just wasn't clear on them being different... I mean... Eddie Klimara did travel with Fix to that tournament and still trains in Stillwater part time.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Where are you when we win? I just checked all of the dual posts this year and you literally only chimed in for the three losses. And then you bring the doom and gloom after NCAAs wrap up. What’s the deal with that? Do you even enjoy the sport?
You must not visit the political board here (don't blame you) so I will give you the answer on that poster...

1582564101721.png

Apr 14, 2009
C team
I have season tickets to wrestling. Along with men’s and women’s BB and a box for football I have for many years. So you can piss off about where I am when the cowboys win. I am normally driving back to Edmond.

The Cowboy wrestling program is slowly sinking into mediocrity.
So if you don’t like me saying what is clearly obvious? You are welcome to make any excuses you want.
But if you want to attack me personally?
You can Pi$$ off.