Wrestling Pokes @ Iowa - Sunday - 7pm - Big Ten Network

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah looking like it. Last I can remember is Missouri winning 27-12 back when I was in school.

Really important to remember that we embarrassed them last year too.
The Penn State (Big Daddy) match was hard to watch, but due to a forfeit maybe not as bad on the score.

Apr 14, 2009
And so It was revealed.
I think this performance clearly shows us the state of the storied cowboy wrestling program.

The performance tonight speaks for itself.

Taking into account that most of the old-timers in the white jacket club are now gone. If they were still alive there would be some major changes made. If we continue down this path without some changes being made. Oklahoma State we will no longer be a blue blood wrestling program going forward.
Some of us saw this train wreck coming.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
And so It was revealed.
I think this performance clearly shows us the state of the storied cowboy wrestling program.

Taking into account that most of the old-timers in the white jacket club are now gone. If they were still alive there would be some major changes made. If we continue down this path without some changes being made. Oklahoma State we will no longer be a blue blood wrestling program going forward.
The answer appears to be the same thing we're saying about basketball right now. Stay tuned...

Apr 14, 2009
I didn’t say a coaching change needs to be made.
But clearly something is not being done right.
And some new facilities are clearly needed.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
And so It was revealed.

Overreaction. #1 recruiting class coming in and one of the best wrestlers in the country coming off redshirt.

Do the guys need to wrestle with a little more fire? Absolutely.

Do we need new facilities? Absolutely.

But the changes you seek are coming on the mat in terms of talent. This has always been a rebuilding year.

Sep 6, 2014
Overreaction. #1 recruiting class coming in and one of the best wrestlers in the country coming off redshirt.

But the changes you seek are coming on the mat in terms of talent. This has always been a rebuilding year.

Cool, this is a rebuilding year. I can understand that. What about the past 14 years? Have those been rebuilding too because we haven't won a championship in a LONG time. Gotta go all the way back to 1994 to find another championship before our 4 peat. I'm not saying to fire Coach but he shouldn't be given a lifetime coaching contract just because he is the GOAT

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Cool, this is a rebuilding year. I can understand that. What about the past 14 years? Have those been rebuilding too because we haven't won a championship in a LONG time. Gotta go all the way back to 1994 to find another championship before our 4 peat. I'm not saying to fire Coach but he shouldn't be given a lifetime coaching contract just because he is the GOAT
Changing demographics of wrestling and such.

I defer to those who know more about the sport than I do and trust that Smith is still the guy. But it has always amazed me that we could be in the depths of the worst decade and a half in program history and people mention him as belonging on the Mt Rushmore of OSU sports. Of course that is partly due to the fact he was one of the best wrestlers in school history.

Smith benefits from the fact that most people really don't care as much as they would about football or basketball.

Sep 6, 2014
Changing demographics of wrestling and such.

I defer to those who know more about the sport than I do and trust that Smith is still the guy. But it has always amazed me that we could be in the depths of the worst decade and a half in program history and people mention him as belonging on the Mt Rushmore of OSU sports. Of course that is partly due to the fact he was one of the best wrestlers in school history.

Smith benefits from the fact that most people really don't care as much as they would about football or basketball.

to add a little perspective, Jim Zalesky won 3 national championships in 9 years at Iowa and was fired for not winning enough and John Smith has won 5 national championships in 26 years

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
to add a little perspective, Jim Zalesky won 3 national championships in 9 years at Iowa and was fired for not winning enough and John Smith has won 5 national championships in 26 years
The center of the wrestling world has moved to the Big 10. It's one of the downsides to the Big 12 versus the old Big 8. OU has pretty much given up on the sport altogether. Also, we have fallen behind in facilities. Although I think it's clear John Smith doesn't want to deal with the fund raising part of the job, he just wants to coach wrestling.

I think we're going to be fighting an uphill battle for a while, but the incoming class will help. If Holder can work his magic, like he does in so many other sports, maybe we can regain some mojo.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The center of the wrestling world has moved to the Big 10. It's one of the downsides to the Big 12 versus the old Big 8. OU has pretty much given up on the sport altogether. Also, we have fallen behind in facilities. Although I think it's clear John Smith doesn't want to deal with the fund raising part of the job, he just wants to coach wrestling.

I think we're going to be fighting an uphill battle for a while, but the incoming class will help. If Holder can work his magic, like he does in so many other sports, maybe we can regain some mojo.
I don't think the wrestling center has moved. The #1 p4p recruit is from Texas, #2 from Oklahoma.

Yes. There are more in PA and NJ... But for the most part the center has moved closer to Oklahoma than farther away. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Texas all have exploding youth scenes... And California is still a gold mine.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater

The ou fans have also pretty much given up on the sport. I caught some of the Fresno State at ou dual today on cable and would bet there was no more than 300 fans in the OU Fieldhouse.

ou now has moved on to men's and women's gymnastics as a replacement.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Can’t argue with any of that. Unfortunately Penn State has just been better in the years OSU has had teams that traditionally would’ve won titles. A couple of years back we had 8 AAs... that team wins nationals if the champ doesn’t have 5 AAs that are all champs.

It’s not lack of talent, per se... just bad luck.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
FWIW we don't have the same competition in conference that the Big 10 teams do, we wrestle a strong schedule every year to offset that fact but if you look at the Big 12, Northern Iowa has been in the top 3 in conference for the last few years. I have nothing against them because they really care about wrestling, but that tells you where ou, ISU and WVU are in terms of big schools and competition. Looking at what we have coming back and coming in next year we are going to be competing for a national championship barring any major injuries.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
And so It was revealed.

And word is that new facilities are in the works.
Or at least have been talked about.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Can’t argue with any of that. Unfortunately Penn State has just been better in the years OSU has had teams that traditionally would’ve won titles. A couple of years back we had 8 AAs... that team wins nationals if the champ doesn’t have 5 AAs that are all champs.

It’s not lack of talent, per se... just bad luck.
That's part of the difficulty of this situation, and the reason I feel like the wrestling world has shifted to Big 10 country, the last 2 years in a row I think the Big 10 has held 4 of the top 5 spots.

Even in all those Gable years when Iowa took over the sport, we were always #2 or 3. Lately Ped State owns the sport, but we aren't just 1 good program away from a bunch of nattys. There have been a couple of years in the last decade where we weren't even top 5, which would be tolerable in most sports, but hard to adjust to for us in wrestling. Again it's not just us, nobody in the Big 12 has really made a run at this thing in a while.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
And word is that new facilities are in the works.
Or at least have been talked about.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I don't claim to know anything about this, but I suspect this is the 1 thing Holder feels is unfinished before retirement.