Wrestling Needs YOU on Sunday vs. Iowa. 2pm. Cheap Tickets. BE THERE!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Pokes wrestling has a huge match on Sunday, Feb 24, and every single person that has the ability needs to make an effort to be there for the team.

Pokes are ranked 2/3 and Iowa is ranked 2/3 depending on the ranking you look at.

We need 11k to get into the building to break our season attendance average.

GA tickets are $15. I will personally buy 4 tickets for a family that needs them.

This is a huge match, folks. It's important for each and every one of our starters to have a packed house to take on the Hawkeyes. It's important for our place in the sport. It's important for recruiting. It's absolutely vital that we get the full 14k capacity into the building for this match. It's after church. There's no football or basketball to watch. Do your sacred duty as Loyal and True Poke fans to get in the building!

On top of it being extremely important that people show up for OSU wrestling in the first place... the dual promises to provide some very intriguing matchups.

125:

#4 Nick Piccinini vs #2 Spencer Lee... Lee has beaten Pich on the mat before, but both wrestlers are much different this year than they were last. Pich has been on an absolute tear. He's one of the 8 most dominant wrestlers in the country, according to team points earned per match. He's undefeated. He's on a new level. Lee, on the other hand, has had a very curious season... lost to a wrestler that is very similar to Pich in style in Northwestern's Sebastian Riviera... and then has been set out for almost every other ranked matchup he's run across this season. This is an important match for both wrestlers.... but it's going to be very curious to see if Brands sends Lee out for this one, as another loss will surely drop Lee to the 5 seed or worse at NCAAs.

133:

#2 Daton Fix vs #3 Austin Desanto... This one is going to be talked about a lot. Desanto is a classic Iowa hothead / psychopath that does a lot of dirty, dirty things when he gets down... but also does a lot of really impressive things when he's determined to do something. He's a real weirdo... but he's a good wrestler. Fix has been wrestling pretty conservative this spring, which is probably why he dropped the match at Pitt. I would love to see Daton unleash here and just beat the snot out of Desanto... but if he gets up big on Desanto we might also see Desanto try to do something he did against Michigan's Miccic last season and try to hurt Daton... yeah... did I mention he's a psychopath.

141:

#14 Kaid Brock vs #18 Max Murin... Would be really nice to see Kaid dig deep from this moment forward and get back to what we know he is capable of being. I don't know much about Murin.

149:

#4 Kaden Gfeller vs #16 Pat Lugo... G didn't seem 100% in the Mizzou dual. Not sure what could've been happening there, but I hope he's back to 100% for this match. Lugo is a solid wrestler that always gave Anthony Collica a run for his money. Gfeller is an elite level wrestler and I think he should be able to handle this one if he's back to normal... but if he's not then it could be a big upset for Iowa.

157:

Wyatt Sheets vs #7 Kaleb Young... Wyatt had a great 3 match win streak, including a win over a decent ranked wrestler from Lehigh... but Young is really good. I don't know if this one will be interesting or not, as I don't know enough about either wrestler to make an informed decision. Hope it's interesting and that Wyatt can dig deep and pull off the upset.

165:

#10 Chandler Rogers vs #2 Alex Marinelli... Marinelli is an elite wrestler. I love Chandler Rogers and would love to see him end his career in GIA with a monster win over "The Bull." Especially if he can catch him in a signature Chandler Rogers funky pin. That's the biggest thing that I've missed from this season, without a doubt.

174:

#7 Joe Smith vs Mitch Bowman (probably)... Joe is moving down to 165 and therefore will have to weigh in for this match at 168, I think, although I could be wrong @Seth25809er could provide more insight. Bowman is a solid wrestler and with Joe cutting weight... who knows. Again, as a fan I have to hope that Joe guts this one out and picks up a win or that they send out Christian Bahl in his place and Bahl can pick up the win. Jacobe Smith pinned this guy back in 2016.

184:

#9 Jacobe Smith vs #14 Cash Wilcke... Same story. Jacobe is moving down to 174 and I believe has to weigh in for this match at 177. I'm really not crazy about sending out a guy who will give up 7 pounds to his opponent. Jacobe is certainly strong enough to go out and beat Wilcke... but Wilcke is a solid wrestler wrestling in his first season in this weight after coming down from 197. I would really prefer to send Geer out there if he's made the weight since he pre-qualified to wrestle at 184. I think that would probably be the best bet, but I'm also not one of the greatest wrestling coaches in history so whatever John Smith decides to do with his two sons here will be fine by me.

197:

Preston Weigel vs #4 Jacob Warner... Weigel has a chance to put his name back in the hat of potential finalists at this weight if he can pull off a win here. He's certainly talented enough and, as we know, once he gets hold of you, you're not getting out. This is also one of the weakest weight classes at NCAAs, so Weigel really has a huge opportunity to etch his name into Cowboy Wrestling lore over the next month. Warner is an uber-talented freshman that has benefited from the weakness of this weight. His only really great win is against Willie Miklus of Iowa State, who Weigel has toyed with for the past couple of years.

HWT:

#2 Derek White vs #8 Sam Stoll... Stoll hasn't been the same since shooting himself in the leg (classic Iowa redneck stuff there... and they make fun of us for being rednecks...). White should pick this win up by decision. Stoll is way too big to pin or score a ton of points on though, so don't expect bonus points. White is giving up 40lbs to this guy, after all.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
this looks like a dual we will not be favored it by the match ups. this one is going to be tough to win
Possibly... not really a great reason to not show up and support the team though.

I do think we pick up wins at 133, 149, 184, 197, and HWT though. So just need to win a couple of toss ups at 125, 141, 174 and possibly an upset at 157 and we win this thing. Don't give up bonus. It'll be a fun one for sure.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Possibly... not really a great reason to not show up and support the team though.

I do think we pick up wins at 133, 149, 184, 197, and HWT though. So just need to win a couple of toss ups at 125, 141, 174 and possibly an upset at 157 and we win this thing. Don't give up bonus. It'll be a fun one for sure.
FWIW, fans on the Hawkeye board don’t give any of their 141# a chance against Brock. That is how poorly they have wrestled at that weight this year, apparently.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Nic Pic has been on a absolute tear this year. He's the one guy that puts out full energy every match that I've watched, I think he will be up to the challenge and will win a good match. I would start the dual at 141 if you want to end with some fireworks. Should be some of the best team wrestling you will be able to see this year.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Based off of the response here and the lack of anything from OSU so far I'm starting to expect there to be less than 6k people in the stands for this one. Week is early, so who knows, but I seem to recall the leadup to the Penn State dual a couple of years ago being the primary focus for the full week leading up... also gave us the Gundy video with the Big Daddy Mug.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Based off of the response here and the lack of anything from OSU so far I'm starting to expect there to be less than 6k people in the stands for this one. Week is early, so who knows, but I seem to recall the leadup to the Penn State dual a couple of years ago being the primary focus for the full week leading up... also gave us the Gundy video with the Big Daddy Mug.
Twitter has a little action but no push from the university. So freaking sad.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cowboywrestling?lang=en

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
I have to say this for those that can't go nor can afford to go, OSU needs to go back to offering this video for free. Its crap that they partnered with FloWrestling and Flo now charges for a full year subscription instead of month to month. No other sport has partnered with a third party. Whoever makes this decision, needs to rethink for those of us who would like to watch the dual online.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have to say this for those that can't go nor can afford to go, OSU needs to go back to offering this video for free. Its crap that they partnered with FloWrestling and Flo now charges for a full year subscription instead of month to month. No other sport has partnered with a third party. Whoever makes this decision, needs to rethink for those of us who would like to watch the dual online.

Uhh... You have to pay for ESPN and FSN to get football and basketball games. It being available somewhere is better than it being available nowhere.

Just look at baseball. I bet those fans wish they had something like Flo to be able to watch all of the games.

It's a priorities thing... And if you can't afford to go, I offered to buy 4 tickets to a family that needs them... So...

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
Uhh... You have to pay for ESPN and FSN to get football and basketball games. It being available somewhere is better than it being available nowhere.

Just look at baseball. I bet those fans wish they had something like Flo to be able to watch all of the games.

It's a priorities thing... And if you can't afford to go, I offered to buy 4 tickets to a family that needs them... So...

Baseball is free through okstate.com, so is basketball and football on some games. I am saying, wrestling needs to go back to this. I mean why do we have orangepower studios for then? and i would love to go to the match on sunday

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Baseball is free through okstate.com, so is basketball and football on some games. I am saying, wrestling needs to go back to this. I mean why do we have orangepower studios for then? and i would love to go to the match on sunday
When is basketball or football free on anything?

And baseball... If you go to the baseball thread from this weekend you will see that they had troubles with it.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
If you can't afford the premium $15/ticket to see 2 of the top 3 programs in the sport compete then you're probably not really a fan of the sport.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
If you can't afford the premium $15/ticket to see 2 of the top 3 programs in the sport compete then you're probably not really a fan of the sport.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Excuse me! I am a huge fan of the sport, I am from Perry for God's sake. At this point, there are more important things i need my money to go to.