Wrestling @ Big 12's in Tulsa

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
I think White has a good shot at the 1-seed. Cassar and White are both conference champs and White has the H2H over Cassar.

That being said, White will probably get the 3-seed.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Weigel is such a beast on top. He just mashes people. Anyone think he has a snowball’s chance against Nickal? Bo seems as unbeatable as his Coach Sanderson was. I’d love to see Preston upset him.
Honestly I think he does have a chance. He won't get a takedown but I think he's good enough to not give up a takedown and I think Nickal and crew are arrogant enough to not do their homework on him.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Congrats on OSU's seventh-straight Big 12 championship. Here's our recap...

Oklahoma State fulfilled its destiny by rolling to the Big 12 Wrestling Championship on Sunday at the BOK Center, the Cowboys’ seventh straight title.

It was never really in doubt from the tournament’s first match Saturday morning, and the Cowboys, ranked No. 2 in the nation, wrapped up the team title before the championship matches Sunday night.

Oklahoma State went 6-1 in the final round, with individual championships earned by Nick Piccininni at 125 pounds, Daton Fix at 133, Kaden Gfeller at 149, Jacobe Smith at 174, Preston Weigel at 197 and Derek White at heavyweight.

“This can’t get old,” OSU coach John Smith said. “Our conference has been historically a great conference in wrestling, a lot of national championships, from the old Big 6 to the Big 8 and now the Big 12, and we’re proud to continue that tradition of strong wrestling in the Big 12.”

It was somewhat of a tumultuous experience for Smith, whose 85-year-old father passed away earlier in the evening.

“Tough day,” he said. “It would be a pretty lonely light if I didn’t have this. It makes the night a little easier to deal with.”
Also, here's a gallery of about 60 photos from championship finals day. A few highlights...
5c85d36a069c4.image.jpg 5c8603ef3b006.image.jpg 5c86042d283ad.image.jpg

As long as I'm here's, here's links to the rest of our weekend's coverage...

Photo gallery: Big 12 wrestling championship finals

Bill Haisten: OSU’s Chandler Rogers no longer is wrestling, but he’s still a winner

Guerin Emig: 'My ears are special' -- The honorable presence of cauliflower ear in wrestling

Day 1 recap: Oklahoma State on track to win seventh straight Big 12 wrestling title

Once again, congrats on the weekend. Happy that Tulsa got to host once again.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
What are the chances for Sheets to get an at-large? Coach didn't seem very optimistic about it.
I don't like the odds. There are only 4 wild card seeds available... one of them will go to Danishek from Indiana, who didn't get one of B10s auto qualifiers. Same for Zach Hartman from Bucknell and Barone from Illinois... so really there's one spot and I would honestly expect Thomas from Oklahoma to get it over Sheets. Thomas has had a better season.

Edit Josh McClure from North Carolina also has a claim.

Yeah I don't think Sheets is going to get in... huge bummer. I posted this elsewhere but the hole at 157 has really screwed us up the last two years.

I get that Joe Smith wasn't healthy with the weight cut... but you would think we could've figured something out with some of these guys.

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think White has a good shot at the 1-seed. Cassar and White are both conference champs and White has the H2H over Cassar.

That being said, White will probably get the 3-seed.
I think they'll screw us over and put White at the 3... They've really been sticking it to us over the last few years, but we wrestled such a tough schedule this season that I don't know if that'll change.

Big 10 bias is out in full force on the tweeters though.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ethan Lizak just completely wrecked Austin Desanto in the 3rd place match at Big 10's yesterday. Won 5-2 with over 4 minutes of riding time.

133 is a super deep weight class... but it's clear that there's the top tier in Micic, Suriano, and Fix... and then there's everybody else. Going to be very beneficial for Fix to get the top seed here.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
So I'll create a new thread later this week for NCAAs... but it would be paramount if White and Fix both get top seeds.

For White, it would set up a great path to the finals... he would probably draw Jordan Wood from Lehigh, Mason Parris from Michigan and Amir Dhesi in his bracket and those are tough bouts for sure... but with the way Derek has been wrestling I think he would fair very well against those guys. Dhesi has had some health concerns this year and hasn't wrestled much. Derek also beat Wood in the Lehigh dual.

But the really tough guys are on the other side of the bracket. Stevenson, Cassar, Stoll, Hilger are all tough outs... so it would be nice to avoid them.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Fix... woof... Even with the one seed it's going to be tough, but I think he's the best at the weight and will be able to prove it.

On his side, I think it will work out where he and Phillippi will meet in the semi-finals so Daton can redeem getting kind of screwed in Pittsburgh earlier this season.

Problem is Luke Pletcher is there as is Lizak and Thornton. It's a super deep weight. No path was going to be easy at this one.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Honestly I think he does have a chance. He won't get a takedown but I think he's good enough to not give up a takedown and I think Nickal and crew are arrogant enough to not do their homework on him.
I agree and I think a perfect scenario for him would be to somehow make it out of the first period even or within a few points and for Nickal to unwisely take "down" in the second period. If he can get a chance to ride him I think he might just grind him into the mat. I'd love to see it but Nickal is one of the most dominant wrestlers in a while, maybe even more so than Ringer was which is saying something. I think when Preston has choice of up or down he should take neutral. I don't know if he's getting up if Nickal is riding him.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I agree and I think a perfect scenario for him would be to somehow make it out of the first period even or within a few points and for Nickal to unwisely take "down" in the second period. If he can get a chance to ride him I think he might just grind him into the mat. I'd love to see it but Nickal is one of the most dominant wrestlers in a while, maybe even more so than Ringer was which is saying something. I think when Preston has choice of up or down he should take neutral. I don't know if he's getting up if Nickal is riding him.
I mean I have a feeling that they'll have to meet in the finals.

Preston is decent at not letting people get to his legs. Very strong on defense. I don't think Nickal has seen anybody quite like him. And I do think he would choose bottom. And I don't think he should choose neutral as Nickal is great on his feet.

Also Nolf is the most dominant wrestler on that team. He won a title with a torn ACL last year, for crying out loud. Then there was Retherford, who was also incredible. I'd put both of them up there with Ringer on the dominance scale over Nickal.