Wrestling @ Big 12's in Tulsa

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Great job yesterday everybody. That was a statement performance by our Wrestling Pokes and the crowd being what it was was so huge. I haven't heard it that loud since 2008 when the basketball team beat #2 ranked Kansas... which means a lot of people have started school at OSU and graduated without hearing or seeing that kind of GIA, which makes me profoundly sad... but that's for another day.

In two weeks, the Pokes head to Tulsa for the Big 12 tournaments. After yesterday, a couple of our wrestlers have a great opportunity to really improve their seeds for NCAA... one wrestler has a great opportunity to have a bit of a redemption tour for a tumultuous season.

125: Nick Piccinnini will be the 1 seed here and should win the tournament. A reason to pay attention to Big 10's... if Spencer Lee beats Sebastian Riviera, Picc will be the 1 seed at nationals. HUGE.

133: Daton Fix will be the 1 seed. Has to take on Austin Gomez again, who always keeps it close with Fix. In more Big 10 news, if Austin Desanto or Nick Suriano can upset Stefan Miccic from Michigan then Daton will be the 1 seed at nationals.

141: Kaid Brock is probably going to be the 6 seed here. He's had a rough season... but Chris Perry said "Kaid Brock backed into a corner is a scary thing. I promise you nobody in this weight class wants to draw him at nationals." We will see if Kaid can prove that at Big 12's, as he will have a chance to take on nearly everybody that's beaten him this year. We know he's capable.... he had the 1 seed beat until giving up a takedown in the last second. We learn a lot about what Kaid Brock is made of here. I love the guy, and contend that he is one of the best we've seen from a technical standpoint... just need to see the heart.

149: Something is not right with Kaden Gfeller... but he will be the 1 seed here and has an opportunity to get some rest before the tournament starts. Hopefully he gets healthy and gets back to his winning ways. G is a great wrestler.

157: Wyatt Sheets will be the 5 seed. This could be good for him, as he hasn't really had a chance to wrestle the guys in duals that are there. He'll probably qualify for nationals no matter where he finishes, but we need him to get a decent seed here to avoid the Nolf bracket of doom.

165: I think this is going to be Chandler Rogers, and Joe Smith will be the guy who has to stay home. Would love to see him get redemption against Wyoming's Ashworth, who has had Chandler's number.

174: Jacobe Smith is moving down to 174. Not sure what seed he will get since he doesn't have the body of work... but I do think he will be Big 12 champion no matter where he ends up here. Taylor Lujan from UNI could be a problem, but I think Jacobe is stronger and will be able to pick up a win against Lujan.

184: Dakota Geer is moving down to 184. Same as Jacobe I'm not sure where he will be seeded... and honestly I don't even know how he will do here. Lot of question marks here.

197: Preston Weigel is back! And he's going to win this weight.

HWT: Derek "Cowboy Bulk Job" White is going to win this weight.

Exciting times ahead! I think our team could contend at national's... in spite of one poster here that graduated in 1970 who seems to think we suck... curious what he thinks after yesterday.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
OK Cteam, I just bought my all session tickets for the first time usually I just go the the finals. I told my wife we would have 8 or 9 in the finals/7 or 8 winning. My biggest question is 141 and 157 but maybe even 149 depending on health. What are your thoughts? Am I off?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
OK Cteam, I just bought my all session tickets for the first time usually I just go the the finals. I told my wife we would have 8 or 9 in the finals/7 or 8 winning. My biggest question is 141 and 157 but maybe even 149 depending on health. What are your thoughts? Am I off?
I think you're right on 157. I'm not doubting Kaid Brock until he's out.

184 with Geer concerns me for some reason.

But I'm glad you bought! I'm going to Pittsburgh, so I won't be able to make Tulsa since I have to travel up there. But I would like to go to Tulsa one of these days. Just need a place to crash I guess.

Dec 9, 2013
Great job yesterday everybody. That was a statement performance by our Wrestling Pokes and the crowd being what it was was so huge. I haven't heard it that loud since 2008 when the basketball team beat #2 ranked Kansas... which means a lot of people have started school at OSU and graduated without hearing or seeing that kind of GIA, which makes me profoundly sad... but that's for another day.

In two weeks, the Pokes head to Tulsa for the Big 12 tournaments. After yesterday, a couple of our wrestlers have a great opportunity to really improve their seeds for NCAA... one wrestler has a great opportunity to have a bit of a redemption tour for a tumultuous season.

125: Nick Piccinnini will be the 1 seed here and should win the tournament. A reason to pay attention to Big 10's... if Spencer Lee beats Sebastian Riviera, Picc will be the 1 seed at nationals. HUGE.

133: Daton Fix will be the 1 seed. Has to take on Austin Gomez again, who always keeps it close with Fix. In more Big 10 news, if Austin Desanto or Nick Suriano can upset Stefan Miccic from Michigan then Daton will be the 1 seed at nationals.

141: Kaid Brock is probably going to be the 6 seed here. He's had a rough season... but Chris Perry said "Kaid Brock backed into a corner is a scary thing. I promise you nobody in this weight class wants to draw him at nationals." We will see if Kaid can prove that at Big 12's, as he will have a chance to take on nearly everybody that's beaten him this year. We know he's capable.... he had the 1 seed beat until giving up a takedown in the last second. We learn a lot about what Kaid Brock is made of here. I love the guy, and contend that he is one of the best we've seen from a technical standpoint... just need to see the heart.

149: Something is not right with Kaden Gfeller... but he will be the 1 seed here and has an opportunity to get some rest before the tournament starts. Hopefully he gets healthy and gets back to his winning ways. G is a great wrestler.

157: Wyatt Sheets will be the 5 seed. This could be good for him, as he hasn't really had a chance to wrestle the guys in duals that are there. He'll probably qualify for nationals no matter where he finishes, but we need him to get a decent seed here to avoid the Nolf bracket of doom.

165: I think this is going to be Chandler Rogers, and Joe Smith will be the guy who has to stay home. Would love to see him get redemption against Wyoming's Ashworth, who has had Chandler's number.

174: Jacobe Smith is moving down to 174. Not sure what seed he will get since he doesn't have the body of work... but I do think he will be Big 12 champion no matter where he ends up here. Taylor Lujan from UNI could be a problem, but I think Jacobe is stronger and will be able to pick up a win against Lujan.

184: Dakota Geer is moving down to 184. Same as Jacobe I'm not sure where he will be seeded... and honestly I don't even know how he will do here. Lot of question marks here.

197: Preston Weigel is back! And he's going to win this weight.

HWT: Derek "Cowboy Bulk Job" White is going to win this weight.

Exciting times ahead! I think our team could contend at national's... in spite of one poster here that graduated in 1970 who seems to think we suck... curious what he thinks after yesterday.
I haven’t followed anyone else besides us but have read where Penn St is dominant in the upper weights.

We will score points on the lower end & at heavyweight. Hopefully bonus points. Is the move down in some of the upper weights in response to Penn St & if so what do Rogers & Jacobe need to do to give us a chance assuming we get 125/133/HWT to the finals?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I haven’t followed anyone else besides us but have read where Penn St is dominant in the upper weights.

We will score points on the lower end & at heavyweight. Hopefully bonus points. Is the move down in some of the upper weights in response to Penn St & if so what do Rogers & Jacobe need to do to give us a chance assuming we get 125/133/HWT to the finals?
The big problem is that Jason Nolf (PSU 157) and Bo Nickal (PSU 197) are pretty much guaranteed to bonus their way to the finals.

They also very likely have finalists at 165 and 174 and they'll probably pick up bonus points there.

Then they have high quality wrestlers that will AA at 141 and HWT.

So they probably have 6 or 7 AAs with 4 finalists and they will get a lot of bonus help.

On our end... I think we have realistic shots at finalists at 125, 133, 197, and HWT and very realistic shots to AA at 141, 149, 165, 174... And maybe even at 184. As mentioned, I don't really know enough about Geer at this weight to make a judgment. He could surprise us.

So to be conservative let's say we get 8 AAs with 3 finalists... That probably puts us really close to PSU in terms of placing points... But I just don't see anybody except for Picc picking up a lot of bonus along their way. Chandler will get a pin or two. Weigel might get a cheap pin. Fix might get some majors.

Really we would need everything to fall perfectly to catch them. Stranger things have happened... But I think we would need 9 AAs and 4 finalists.

Dec 9, 2013
The big problem is that Jason Nolf (PSU 157) and Bo Nickal (PSU 197) are pretty much guaranteed to bonus their way to the finals.

They also very likely have finalists at 165 and 174 and they'll probably pick up bonus points there.

Then they have high quality wrestlers that will AA at 141 and HWT.

So they probably have 6 or 7 AAs with 4 finalists and they will get a lot of bonus help.

On our end... I think we have realistic shots at finalists at 125, 133, 197, and HWT and very realistic shots to AA at 141, 149, 165, 174... And maybe even at 184. As mentioned, I don't really know enough about Geer at this weight to make a judgment. He could surprise us.

So to be conservative let's say we get 8 AAs with 3 finalists... That probably puts us really close to PSU in terms of placing points... But I just don't see anybody except for Picc picking up a lot of bonus along their way. Chandler will get a pin or two. Weigel might get a cheap pin. Fix might get some majors.

Really we would need everything to fall perfectly to catch them. Stranger things have happened... But I think we would need 9 AAs and 4 finalists.
Thank you

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Alright so now that there's been a shakeup in the lineup...

Here are the brackets (w/ Chandler Rogers... new brackets will be released tomorrow, I think).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/170nYBFcUpHau_Mcr4s2aodMBo4nEfcjS/view

125: Nick Piccinnini is the 1 seed.

133: Daton Fix is the 1 seed.

141: Kaid Brock is the 5 seed.
- Kaid got a favorable draw here. Will wrestle 4 seed Matt Findlay from Utah Valley in the second round. Win there, and you get Josh Alber from UNI in the semi-finals, who you beat for 5:53 seconds in Stillwater a couple of weeks ago. Just finish and you can be Big 12 champ again! I'm a Kaid Brock ride or die guy and believe he could make noise here this season... but he needs to reach deep and make it happen.

149: Kaden Gfeller is the 1 seed.

157: Wyatt Sheets is the 4 seed.
- Wyatt needs to win the weight in order to qualify for nationals here. He is capable of doing it... but I kinda wish when they decided to bump everybody down they would've included Chandler in that. I know it was a slim chance and probably would've been overall harmful for Chandler... but damn.

165: Joe Smith is not seeded right now... I have a feeling they'll put him on the bottom side of the bracket. 6 seed is my guess.

174: Jacobe Smith is the 1 seed.

184: Dakota Geer is the 3 seed.

197: Preston Weigel is the 1 seed.
- Willie Miklus from Iowa State is the 2 seed and I'm glad that if these two meet, it will be in the finals. Preston has handled Willie in the past, but Willie's father passed away on Monday so he'll be wrestling inspired.

HWT: Derek White is the 1 seed.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
Alright so now that there's been a shakeup in the lineup...

Here are the brackets (w/ Chandler Rogers... new brackets will be released tomorrow, I think).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/170nYBFcUpHau_Mcr4s2aodMBo4nEfcjS/view

125: Nick Piccinnini is the 1 seed.

133: Daton Fix is the 1 seed.

141: Kaid Brock is the 5 seed.
- Kaid got a favorable draw here. Will wrestle 4 seed Matt Findlay from Utah Valley in the second round. Win there, and you get Josh Alber from UNI in the semi-finals, who you beat for 5:53 seconds in Stillwater a couple of weeks ago. Just finish and you can be Big 12 champ again! I'm a Kaid Brock ride or die guy and believe he could make noise here this season... but he needs to reach deep and make it happen.

149: Kaden Gfeller is the 1 seed.

- Wyatt needs to win the weight in order to qualify for nationals here. He is capable of doing it... but I kinda wish when they decided to bump everybody down they would've included Chandler in that. I know it was a slim chance and probably would've been overall harmful for Chandler... but damn.

165: Joe Smith is not seeded right now... I have a feeling they'll put him on the bottom side of the bracket. 6 seed is my guess.

174: Jacobe Smith is the 1 seed.

184: Dakota Geer is the 3 seed.

197: Preston Weigel is the 1 seed.
- Willie Miklus from Iowa State is the 2 seed and I'm glad that if these two meet, it will be in the finals. Preston has handled Willie in the past, but Willie's father passed away on Monday so he'll be wrestling inspired.

HWT: Derek White is the 1 seed.
Why didn't White get the bye? Or is that a typo?
Edit: I have no clue how this works:oops:. Why have a seed if they dont matter?

So confused, I am...

Last edited:

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Unfortunately, Chandler would've had to certify at 157 at the start of the season which I don't think he did.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
For reference, here are the Big XII allocations to the NCAA tournament. There are typically 4-5 wild card allotments for each weight as well (33 wrestlers per weight class).

125: 5
133: 5
141: 6
149: 7
157: 1
165: 6
174: 5
184: 5
197: 7
HWT: 6

With Joe replacing Chandler, I believe one of the 165 spots goes back into the wild card allotment. I don't know if 174 and 184 account for Jacobe and Dakota since a lot of their season wrestling was done at higher weights.

I'll be curious what happens in the situation where Joe doesn't finish top 5 and grab an automatic qualifier. He doesn't have a single match at 165 which may impact his ability to earn a wild card.

Based on seeding, we should be sending 9 to Nationals. Hopefully Wyatt has a big tourney and makes it!

Jun 23, 2009
New York
Let's go Spencer Lee!!!!!! If Lee beats Rivera and Picc gets the #1 seed at nationals and avoids both of them until the finals he CRUISES to the championship match IMO, absolutely huge

Would be nice for Fix to get the #1 seed but it doesn't even really matter, that weight class has landmines all over the place and even as the #1 he will likely have to beat a stud like RBY from penn state in the quarters and a guy like Suriano in the semifinals just to make it to the championship. 133 is the toughest and deepest weight class I can ever recall seeing it's unreal.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Let's go Spencer Lee!!!!!! If Lee beats Rivera and Picc gets the #1 seed at nationals and avoids both of them until the finals he CRUISES to the championship match IMO, absolutely huge

Would be nice for Fix to get the #1 seed but it doesn't even really matter, that weight class has landmines all over the place and even as the #1 he will likely have to beat a stud like RBY from penn state in the quarters and a guy like Suriano in the semifinals just to make it to the championship. 133 is the toughest and deepest weight class I can ever recall seeing it's unreal.
RBY can't hold Fix's jock.

Or Suriano's.

Or, hell, Desanto's.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
Joe Smith got the 8th seed which means he will face the #1 seed in the 2nd round, brutal draw but I'm not sure what they expected since he hasn't wrestled at match at 165 this year. Him and Ashworth would have probably been in the finals if he was on the other side of the bracket (him and Chandler would have also probably been the finals match too)

Jun 23, 2009
New York
I still don't understand the logic of bumping out Chandler instead of Geer, I don't see how Greer scores more team points in the NCAA's than Chandler would have

Chandler/Joe/Jacobe > Joe/Jacobe/Geer