Will Murray stay or go.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
Riley is claiming he’s playing football even if he signs, but that sounds completely absurd. I can’t imagine a scenario where a pro team would sign him to a contract to watch him go play college football 3 months later. Seems like something you do if you enjoy pissing money away.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Obviously this is not specific to Murray, but how does this work with the NCAA? If you are under contract to be paid to play a sport professionally, how can you be considered an amateur student-athlete? Is it because it's a different sport? Meaning he can no longer play college baseball? I knew guys like Brandon Weeden had played college football after minor league baseball, but I guess I thought that was different because they were no longer playing professionally (and it was a different sport).

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Obviously this is not specific to Murray, but how does this work with the NCAA? If you are under contract to be paid to play a sport professionally, how can you be considered an amateur student-athlete? Is it because it's a different sport? Meaning he can no longer play college baseball? I knew guys like Brandon Weeden had played college football after minor league baseball, but I guess I thought that was different because they were no longer playing professionally (and it was a different sport).
I was wondering the same thing. They say that with his draft status he will get around 5 mil, but I can't believe the NCAA would allow him to take the money at this time.

I did find this tidbit:

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Riley is claiming he’s playing football even if he signs, but that sounds completely absurd. I can’t imagine a scenario where a pro team would sign him to a contract to watch him go play college football 3 months later. Seems like something you do if you enjoy pissing money away.
There's plenty of precedence for this. He isnt a trailblazer here, it's been done before.

Well he's not playing it though. Not til after the football season. Weeden had already played pro ball but he wasnt playing pro ball when he was on the football team. But not sure that even matters. Far as I know there's no rule that says you cant play pro ball and still be a qualified college football player.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I think Murray could potentially keep some of his signing bonus while remaining an amateur college football player. It's been done before:

Pro money in a different sport. In the NCAA's confusing world of amateurism, you can be deemed an amateur in one sport while clearly a professional in another. A pro athlete paid in one sport can simultaneously play college athletics in a different sport and receive a scholarship. It doesn't happen much, but the sport most frequently impacted is a college football player who also participates in minor league baseball. In 2010, Kyle Parker was Clemson's quarterback after he got a $1.4 million signing bonus from the Colorado Rockies. Russell Wilson had a $200,000 signing bonus with the Rockies, some of which he had to return to the club when he left to play quarterback at Wisconsin. Roscoe Crosby had a $1.75 million signing bonus from the Kansas City Royals while a Clemson wide receiver in the early 2000s.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Murray agrees to deal worth nearly $5 million

That means he’ll be the third-highest paid person in the Big 12, behind Texas head coach Tom Herman ($5.5 million) and TCU head coach Gary Patterson ($5.1 million). Riley is expected to get a raise, but made $3.1 million in his first season at the helm.

:lol:

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
That would be a tough metric, so you count legal fees and publicists as compensation? Money Mixon would be sliding on up there, they even bought him a judge in that deal

Apr 7, 2006
If you think back about the Jeremy Bloom case (Colorado wide receiver/Olympic skiier who was getting endorsements for skiing) then either Murray shouldn’t be eligible to play if he receives a signing bonus prior to ending his collegiate career. If he doesn’t receive money until after he finishes football then it’s a different discussion. Those are cookie cutter scenarios that will be interesting to compare.