VOTE! Will Daxx Replace JW this year?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Will Daxx Garmin Replace JW Walsh This Season?

• No, JW will finish the season.

Votes: 96 41.7%
  • Yes, but not till late in the year.

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Yes, but not till half-way through

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • Yes, before conference play starts.

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 46 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
This isn't a bash JW or pump Daxx Thread. This is simply looking for opinion here's an excerpt from an Oklahoman piece with article linked.

There’s no doubt Walsh is the established starter, but Gundy once again opened the door to multiple quarterbacks playing this season during a press conference Monday. He said Daxx Garman, the junior quarterback who has received rave reviews for his deep ball, is still in the mix.

Proof that a high-powered arm is still a hot commodity in Stillwater.

“Daxx has taken a lot of reps, and I think he’s ready to play in a game,” Gundy said. “There wasn’t a time Saturday night that we felt like it benefited our team for him to be in there. But I would say in the future, there will be a time that it will benefit our team for him to be in there.”
http://newsok.com/j.w.-walsh-led-of...ndy-still-wants-to-air-it-out/article/5337893

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Dang-it. I didn't get all the options in. Can a mod please add the following:

- Yes, but not till half-way through
- Yes, before conference play starts.
- I don't know.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
No clue. I do think that JW played the entire FSU game because of his experience and guts. The staff knew he would give us the best chance against such an opponent.

I'm not convinced that we'll see any backup QBs this season unless one of the following happens:
1. JW gets injured (obviously)
2. JW becomes horribly ineffective
3. OSU is up by 30+ points

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I agree. I don't see Gundy wanting another year of QB controversy. I think for most games, well see JW for about 3 quarters, and Daxx the rest.
The QB controversy before had to do with having multiple QBs with comparable experience levels. That is not the case here. JW has some very good starting experience, even more now. If the QBs are otherwise about equivalent, JW gets to keep the job with other QBs coming in occasionally. Maybe line up JW like we did with ZRob a couple of times when Bobby Reid was the starter?

Aug 8, 2013
Oak Creek, WI
I agree. I don't see Gundy wanting another year of QB controversy. I think for most games, well see JW for about 3 quarters, and Daxx the rest.
I hope we are up on all of our opponents enough to see this happen. I could see this happening this weekend. UTSA could be an interesting game. I think we may have a better chance at seeing Daxx play against Kansas or Iowa St than against UTSA, at least, if the reason is we are up by a lot. Even then, in another thread a poster mentioned Stoops won't pull Trevor Knight out of any games this season for "style points" for the playoff selection committee. Not sure if that logic would mean we should or shouldn't pull Walsh out if we are up...

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I hope we are up on all of our opponents enough to see this happen. I could see this happening this weekend. UTSA could be an interesting game. I think we may have a better chance at seeing Daxx play against Kansas or Iowa St than against UTSA, at least, if the reason is we are up by a lot. Even then, in another thread a poster mentioned Stoops won't pull Trevor Knight out of any games this season for "style points" for the playoff selection committee. Not sure if that logic would mean we should or shouldn't pull Walsh out if we are up...
I'm betting when push comes to shove Stoops will pull Knight if they are up big. He didn't last week because the backup, Cody Thomas was injured and they didn't want to burn Hansen's redshirt. But Thomas will be back this week and you have to think they're gonna take TU to the woodshed.

Sep 2, 2012
They have different skill sets (I think)... That said, I have no idea what Daxx can do in a college football game because I've never seen him play in one. JW was getting it done in the FSU game. He marshaled the team up and down the field after the opening disaster. It's his job to lose at this point.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2010
I think we'll see him replace JW because of injury. I'm not a fan of the mobile qb and the wear and tear they take on their body is a major reason.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I think this team if they continue to work hard and improve and stay healthy. The best thing for this team would to be have a package for Daxx Garman and play two QBs at the very least. Fired up!! Can't wait for the season. I knew we had a lot of athletic talent on this team.

May 30, 2009
Tulsa
What about the option to go to a 2 QB system. Some games Daxx gets the most snaps, and sometimes Walsh does, dictated by the defense.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I think Garman has a much higher ceiling than Walsh. Put me in for Garman as the full time starter. If I see him struggle I might change my mind but I believe in the kid. I would be shocked if he doesn't turn out to be better than Walsh. That is no slight on Walsh either. Walsh is decent.

Dogman

Wrangler
Dec 15, 2007
Oklahoma
I think Garman has a much higher ceiling than Walsh. Put me in for Garman as the full time starter. If I see him struggle I might change my mind but I believe in the kid. I would be shocked if he doesn't turn out to be better than Walsh. That is no slight on Walsh either. Walsh is decent.
Why do you think his ceiling is higher? Interestingly enough, like Weeden, live action has been a while.

I favor Rudolph, but I want him to be ready for it too.

Apr 16, 2008
Have you ever seen Garman play?

Status
Not open for further replies.