Wildcats vs. Cowboys Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Dean Wade is who really irritated me today. Anei gave him so much space every single possession.
8 guys and absolutely no one on the roster that can sub in for him that is not a huge step down. Going to see a lot of soft play the rest of the year since fouls now come at a premium cost.

Mar 8, 2010
On the plus side look how much playing time our two outstanding freshmen are getting this year. This was just an off game by us and a really good game on both sides by a really good K-State team. I'm still very optimistic for next year. The team I saw beat a decent South Carolina team last week didn't show up Saturday and everyone of them will be back next year with a lot of talented help.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
On the plus side look how much playing time our two outstanding freshmen are getting this year. This was just an off game by us and a really good game on both sides by a really good K-State team. I'm still very optimistic for next year. The team I saw beat a decent South Carolina team last week didn't show up Saturday and everyone of them will be back next year with a lot of talented help.

South Carolina is a fine club. That's why yesterday's game trends surprised the hell out of this EMAW. K-State was awful the week before at aTm. And then marvelous in Stillwater. It's the nature of basketball. Very much not like football which is way more predictable.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Can you blame them? The crowd tonight made me embarrassed to call myself an OSU fan. This university has really changed. I didn't change. I grew up an OSU basketball fan and I will always be one. That's why I went there. But now we have people trying to think we can be as good as OU is at football. It just blows my mind. We really have lost our way.
I'll tell you the crowd was definitely bigger than it was for South Carolina, unfortunately there were quite a few kstate fans mixed in but that's always the case every year because there's actually quite a few kstate fans here in Stillwater. As far as I'm concerned I think it's hilarious the K-State fans have no semblance of what a real foul is and what reffing should look like. It's like they are first in the conference and all of a sudden think they should be KU and get every call for them and nobody should ever get another call.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

EDIT
John Higgins is a horrible ref. I can't believe the big 12 has kept him this long.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That was an unacceptable game on offense and defense. Coach looked horrible. I didn’t see any adjustments, in fact they looked worse in the second half.

Not saying we need to get rid of the coach but this is what happens when Holder hires a guy with no head coaching experience. He had no idea how to attack kstate on defense or offense. Just a ridiculous game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think K-State is just a very good team and will dominate a bunch of other teams this year.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
That was an unacceptable game on offense and defense. Coach looked horrible. I didn’t see any adjustments, in fact they looked worse in the second half.

Not saying we need to get rid of the coach but this is what happens when Holder hires a guy with no head coaching experience. He had no idea how to attack kstate on defense or offense. Just a ridiculous game.

Did you really believe this team can compete with the top teams in the league? Would’ve been hard before the three guys got kicked off. This team is exhausted. McGriff was sucking wind in the first half. Never seen him get tired so quickly. This K state team has almost everyone back from last years elite eight team. Not to mention one team was allowed to play physical and the other team wasn’t... I don’t blame Boynton for getting that technical.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I'll tell you the crowd was definitely bigger than it was for South Carolina, unfortunately there were quite a few kstate fans mixed in but that's always the case every year because there's actually quite a few kstate fans here in Stillwater. As far as I'm concerned I think it's hilarious the K-State fans have no semblance of what a real foul is and what reffing should look like. It's like they are first in the conference and all of a sudden think they should be KU and get every call for them and nobody should ever get another call.

EDIT
John Higgins is a horrible ref. I can't believe the big 12 has kept him this long.
As far as Kstate fans having no semblance of what reffing looks like.....their arena hasn't been called the Octogon of BOOOOOO!!!!!! for nothing. Kstate fans have always been the most booing ass fans in college bball. I think it's actually some kind of gimmick with them.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

Did you really believe this team can compete with the top teams in the league? Would’ve been hard before the three guys got kicked off. This team is exhausted. McGriff was sucking wind in the first half. Never seen him get tired so quickly. This K state team has almost everyone back from last years elite eight team. Not to mention one team was allowed to play physical and the other team wasn’t... I don’t blame Boynton for getting that technical.
Did not expect a win but did expect to keep it under 20. Until the 7 minute mark (when their subs came in) it looked like a Colvin center team playing for OSU. A team can be depleted but still play tough disciplined ball. After the first 10 minutes of the first half kstate’s physicality impacted OSU; hence very little ball movement or getting the ball in the paint and settling for outside shots. Was an issue with the offense all year, even before he lost those players.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Postgame from Mark Cooper...

Most of Oklahoma State’s Big 12 games prior to Saturday boiled down to one stretch: The final eight minutes, where shots become tougher and every possession becomes make-or-break.

For those who stuck around to watch the waning possessions of one of the most lopsided Cowboy defeats in Gallagher-Iba Arena’s 81-season history, the last eight minutes mattered in a different way.

An ignominious one.

With five and a half minutes to play, Kansas State took a 34-point lead on a Kamau Stokes 3-pointer. If the game stopped then and there, it would have marked the largest margin of defeat for OSU on its home court.
Ever.

So the final moments mattered for history’s sake. The Cowboys rallied against reserves to save a little face, losing 75-57 and avoiding just the ninth loss by 20-plus points in 1,039 games in GIA. But that was little consolation to an OSU (9-12, 2-6 Big 12) team that at one point scored eight points in a span of 17 minutes, 14 seconds.
Here's a link to 50 photos from the game

Also, Mark notes that the first player from the open tryouts officially joined the roster...

Gabe Simpson, a 6-foot-3 freshman from Jay, became an official member of OSU's roster after shootaround on Saturday. Given No. 44, Simpson will be in uniform for the first time against Kansas State

Simpson, who is listed at 208 pounds, is also a walk-on member of the football team.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Offensively we don’t have consistent scorers. The shooters we do have are streaky and are a liability on the defensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right now you can say that for any Big XII team. It has been prevalent in this league for the past few seasons from my observation. Ironically the Big XII is known more for its staunch defenses in basketball.

I went to the game and can say that as this season wears on, it may take a heavy toll without some relief. You just had to feel for the guys. But I will say that this team has heart.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
With Cooper and Sutton on staff, I'd expect Boyton to have plenty of guidance as he matures.

Today was a mess. The announcers had the right call - the screeners weren't screening anybody. Coaches made no adjustments.

Did anyone read any comments from Boynton after the game?
Not really the screeners' faults. The man running off the screen needs to literally rub shoulders with the screener. Zero space. This should have been taught by their high school coach. They also need to set the screen up.

Dub

Cowboy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
Not really the screeners' faults. The man running off the screen needs to literally rub shoulders with the screener. Zero space. This should have been taught by their high school coach. They also need to set the screen up.
I hear ya - they looked like they had been watching too much NBA. You see the defenders switch every screen, to the point where they don't have to actually screen anyone.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I hear ya - they looked like they had been watching too much NBA. You see the defenders switch every screen, to the point where they don't have to actually screen anyone.
We can really thrive off of mismatches, though, which are effected using screens that are switched on. I'd really like to see Waters post up more, when he gets a > 6'2" guard on him, which is pretty often.