Why we may have seen peak Gundy in 2011

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We can’t speak in hypotheticals because our offensive line is not 2011. The most comparable year is 2014 but it is probably worse. Our personnel cannot run the yurchich offense without having stalled drives and sacks. We need either a new coordinator to mask our deficiencies or Yurcich needs to change his 5 play book to fit his athletes. I think we have enough talent to produce and arguably we have had some success on offense but we have not been efficient enough to beat good or even average teams like Iowa state.

This is not hatred just honesty.
There has to be at least another 5 plays, right?

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
Agree with this. I am not in any way, shape, or form calling for Gundy's firing. That won't change even if we lose out the rest of the year. I do hope there's a behind the scenes "come to Jesus" meeting that leads to some major shakeups with the coordinators/position coaches (and an OC that will be allowed to do his job his way) - and hopefully that leads to some better recruiting...
I wish there was some way we had gotten Seth Littrell on this staff prior to him becoming the HC at UNT. An Oklahoma guy, a Leach disciple, led UNC to their best years as the OC and is now putting UNT back on the map. Mason Fine has thrown for 1,900 yards and a 15/1 TD:INT ratio.

Oct 18, 2013
North Texas
I wish there was some way we had gotten Seth Littrell on this staff prior to him becoming the HC at UNT. An Oklahoma guy, a Leach disciple, led UNC to their best years as the OC and is now putting UNT back on the map. Mason Fine has thrown for 1,900 yards and a 15/1 TD:INT ratio.
A good friend who works at UNT actually said something to that effect after our game Saturday - that she's really glad he ended up where it did, but that she's surprised OSU hadn't tried to bring him in as OC. :-\

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
A good friend who works at UNT actually said something to that effect after our game Saturday - that she's really glad he ended up where it did, but that she's surprised OSU hadn't tried to bring him in as OC. :-\
She obviously hasn’t met Coach Gundy. Littrell would be on gundys whipping boy. We would have to put a gag order on Gundy to get any free spirited independent thinker to change our offense.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
There's a pretty good chance 2011 was the peak. Considering 2011 we were one call that could have gone either way, or an OT away from a perfect season, by definition the only way to exceed that peak is to be perfect and win it all.

So yes we may have to live with the fact 12 -1 with the 1 being in OT was our peak.

Last edited: