Why don't Christian Evangelicals like Kanye West??

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Kanye West's "Jesus Walks" performances at the 2006 Grammys

I am serious in this. Is it because of his criticsms of George W. Bush?

I mean this performance above was something you might see at a revival? In front of the non-secular Hollywood Liberals. People that Evangelicals would love to convert, I am assuming.

Is there something I miss?

Kanye West performs "Jesus Walks" at 2004 World Music Awards

2008 Grammy performance of "Stronger and Dear Momma"
I don't hate the guy, but I am happy he sang that song. I didn't like him posing as Christ on the cover of Rolling Stone.

BTW, do you really think someone attacking George W. Bush matters anymore?:rolleyes: Comes with being president.

I did not like his blaming Katrina on racism. Hate to break the news, but the storm makes no distinction as to who matters. I really get sick of people bring everything to racism.

BTW, do you really think someone attacking George W. Bush matters anymore?:rolleyes: Comes with being president.

I did not like his blaming Katrina on racism. Hate to break the news, but the storm makes no distinction as to who matters. I really get sick of people bring everything to racism.

I agree he misspoke. I believe W doesn't like POOR people regardless of race.

Epperley28

Federal Marshal
Nov 11, 2005
I don't think he was blaming Katrina on racism, but rather the totally inept government response to Katrina on racism.

How many white people did you see on the news standing on top of their houses waving flags at passing helicopters? How many white people got stuck in the Dome, crapping in corners and being robbed and raped by gangs?

I don't know if the awful job done by FEMA was due to racism, but you have to agree that they did a terrible job AND that most of the people who suffered because of that bad job were black. I can see where he's coming from.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I don't think he was blaming Katrina on racism, but rather the totally inept government response to Katrina on racism.

How many white people did you see on the news standing on top of their houses waving flags at passing helicopters? How many white people got stuck in the Dome, crapping in corners and being robbed and raped by gangs?

I don't know if the awful job done by FEMA was due to racism, but you have to agree that they did a terrible job AND that most of the people who suffered because of that bad job were black. I can see where he's coming from.
What was the racial percentage breakdown in New Orleans prior to Katrina? Was it not an African American Mayor that refused to use the buses to get people out when they had sufficient warning?

FEMA acted poorly, I agree, but did it have as much to do with race as being a situation they were woefully prepared to handle. I don't care how many were actually of one race or another. TOO MANY PEOPLE DIED! Since, FEMA has responded far better in other situations, and I hope there has been a great lesson learned.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
...How many white people did you see on the news standing on top of their houses waving flags at passing helicopters? How many white people got stuck in the Dome, crapping in corners and being robbed and raped by gangs?..
Everyone in NO had 4 days notice that the hurricane was coming. If they chose not to leave, I don't know what can be done about it. it may be that the "white" people you spoke of had gotten the hell out of dodge.
I might also add where is the outrage by NO residents against the local and state governments and their complete disregard of their duties?

By the way, I don't know Kanye West and certainly don't hate him.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Everyone in NO had 4 days notice that the hurricane was coming. If they chose not to leave, I don't know what can be done about it. it may be that the "white" people you spoke of had gotten the hell out of dodge.
I might also add where is the outrage by NO residents against the local and state governments and their complete disregard of their duties?
Usurped by the opportunity to have renewed outrage at Bush. I am afraid political opportunism met emotional and physical devestation and that led to vast stupidity.

Bush didn't keep the buses from rolling. Bush didn't make people wait for the Hurricane to kill them. Bush didn't make reservations at the Superdome. Yet, political opportunists and those wishing to pass blame onto someone else managed to paint Bush as hateful and careless. What a joke!

Hateful is leaving the levies unfixed for 30years. Hateful is not using all available means to get people to safety when warning had come in time to do so. Hateful is blaming everyone else for what goes wrong and pretending we didn't make our own bed.

Epperley28

Federal Marshal
Nov 11, 2005
I don't disagree with any of those points. I'm just saying that most of the people were black and they were left hanging out there after the storm swept through.

Nov 12, 2007
Fayetteville, AR
Kanye West's "Jesus Walks" performances at the 2006 Grammys

I am serious in this. Is it because of his criticsms of George W. Bush?

I mean this performance above was something you might see at a revival? In front of the non-secular Hollywood Liberals. People that Evangelicals would love to convert, I am assuming.

Is there something I miss?

Kanye West performs "Jesus Walks" at 2004 World Music Awards

2008 Grammy performance of "Stronger and Dear Momma"
Yup. Does that answer your question?

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I actually thought that Katrina was a pretty good example of why some of our social programs don't work. IMO it proved that giving people welfare checks, goverment housing, etc makes them too dependent on the goverment. As noted above these folks had 4 days to get outta there, but couldn't. If you depend on the government to provide everything for you its kinda hard to complain about how good of a job it does.

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX
Usurped by the opportunity to have renewed outrage at Bush. I am afraid political opportunism met emotional and physical devestation and that led to vast stupidity.

Bush didn't keep the buses from rolling. Bush didn't make people wait for the Hurricane to kill them. Bush didn't make reservations at the Superdome. Yet, political opportunists and those wishing to pass blame onto someone else managed to paint Bush as hateful and careless. What a joke!

Hateful is leaving the levies unfixed for 30years. Hateful is not using all available means to get people to safety when warning had come in time to do so. Hateful is blaming everyone else for what goes wrong and pretending we didn't make our own bed.
And stupid is living in a city below sea level and expecting it to survive a CAT5 hurricane.

I don't disagree with any of those points. I'm just saying that most of the people were black and they were left hanging out there after the storm swept through.
Yeah, they were black. So what? You act like they were left hanging on purpose. A US Navy ship was sent down there to be the command center. Do you know how slow ships are? Best speed is like 30kts and it had to travel a few hundred miles. Plus they had to make sure the path was clear. Same thing with getting troops mobilized to move water and supplies down. Bridges were out, trees and power lines were down and across roads. The place was seriously messed up and it took time for help to arrive. Hate to break it to you, but there is no magic wand that can be waved to make it all better. Disaster relief takes time.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
Federal Government can't come in unless requested by the state. State won't come in until requested by the city. And then people wonder why it took the Federeal Gov. so long to intervene.

Epperley28

Federal Marshal
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, they were black. So what? You act like they were left hanging on purpose. A US Navy ship was sent down there to be the command center. Do you know how slow ships are? Best speed is like 30kts and it had to travel a few hundred miles. Plus they had to make sure the path was clear. Same thing with getting troops mobilized to move water and supplies down. Bridges were out, trees and power lines were down and across roads. The place was seriously messed up and it took time for help to arrive. Hate to break it to you, but there is no magic wand that can be waved to make it all better. Disaster relief takes time.
Exactly which part of "I don't disagree with any of those points" didn't you understand?

Epperley28

Federal Marshal
Nov 11, 2005
And stupid is living in a city below sea level and expecting it to survive a CAT5 hurricane.
And a lot of those people stayed because they couldn't leave. They didn't have cars. They didn't have money to travel. They didn't have any place to go. Some weren't physically able to leave their houses. Others stayed to help with their invalid relatives.

Calling them stupid just shows how callous you are.

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX
Exactly which part of "I don't disagree with any of those points" didn't you understand?
Can you not piece together that I was replying to your second sentence implying that race had something to do with why they were supposedly 'left hanging out'?

And a lot of those people stayed because they couldn't leave. They didn't have cars. They didn't have money to travel. They didn't have any place to go. Some weren't physically able to leave their houses. Others stayed to help with their invalid relatives.

Calling them stupid just shows how callous you are.
No, it's realistic. I didn't say anything about getting out of the city when the storm was coming (that's the mayor's fault- and the city was stupid enough to reelect him), but living there at all is stupid. This will happen again!

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
If I said all Jews are penny pinchers.... well I'd be a bigot.

If I said all Muslims are terrorists..... well I'd be a bigot.

But anyone and everyone lumps Christians and specifically Evangelicals into the same basket all the time and nothing is said....why?

Darth Sensitive

Official OP Referee
Dec 10, 2007
Because a loud minority of Evangelicals have a persecution complex and cry about the "War on Christmas" and the "Commie ACLU taking God out of our schools".

Not that it makes it ok, but the vocal ones give the good ones a bad name.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
Because a loud minority of Evangelicals have a persecution complex and cry about the "War on Christmas" and the "Commie ACLU taking God out of our schools".

Not that it makes it ok, but the vocal ones give the good ones a bad name.
Do you not agree that Christians suffer persecution world-wide?