Why are we trying to buy Greenland?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Greenland is the world's largest island and the least densely populated territory in the world. Greenland became Danish in 1814, and was fully integrated in the Danish state in 1953 under the Constitution of Denmark.

In 1979, Denmark granted home rule to Greenland, and in 2008, Greenlanders voted in favor of the Self-Government Act, which transferred more power from the Danish government to the local Greenlandic government. Under the new structure, in effect since 21 June 2009, Greenland can gradually assume responsibility for policing, judicial system, company law, accounting, and auditing; mineral resource activities; aviation; law of legal capacity, family law and succession law; aliens and border controls; the working environment; and financial regulation and supervision, while the Danish government retains control of foreign affairs and defense. It also retains control of monetary policy, providing an initial annual subsidy of DKK 3.4 billion, which is planned to diminish gradually over time. Greenland expects to grow its economy based on increased income from the extraction of natural resources.

Greenland's connection to Denmark was severed on 9 April 1940, early in World War II, after Denmark was occupied by Nazi Germany. On 8 April 1941, the United States occupied Greenland to defend it against a possible invasion by Germany. The United States occupation of Greenland continued until 1945.

Following World War II, the United States developed a geopolitical interest in Greenland, and in 1946 the United States offered to buy the island from Denmark for $100,000,000. Denmark refused to sell it.

Historically this repeated an interest by Secretary of State of William H. Seward. In 1867 he worked with former senator Robert J. Walker to explore the possibility of buying Greenland and perhaps Iceland. Opposition in Congress ended this project. In the 21st century, the United States remains interested in investing in the resource base of Greenland and in tapping hydrocarbons off the Greenlandic coast.

Some of us might remember that In 1867 U.S. Secretary of State William Seward successfully negotiated the purchase of Alaska from Russia for only $7.2 million—about 2 cents per acre.

Maybe we should have just kept Greenland after WWII.
The real reason we are looking at it is national defense.
https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/the-many-roles-of-greenland-in-chinas-developing-arctic-policy/

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
nope... it's called "The Art of the Deal".... he wrote a book about it.

poor little ole lady has no clue what just happened to her, nor how she just lost the upper hand in negotiations.
I think there has to be 2 interested parties to have a negotiation.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

poor little ole lady has no clue what just happened to her, nor how she just lost the upper hand in negotiations.
So calling the other party in a negotiation "nasty" is part of his strategy?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So calling the other party in a negotiation "nasty" is part of his strategy?
sure, why not, knock them off their feet and put them on the defensive, he does that often.... however, he said, he thought the STATEMENT was nasty, i.e., mean spirited (not the Prime Minister was nasty).

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
sure, why not, knock them off their feet and put them on the defensive, he does that often.... however, he said, he thought the STATEMENT was nasty, i.e., mean spirited (not the Prime Minister was nasty).
I'm not sure that would get the best deal if I were on the other side of the negotiation.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I'm not sure that would get the best deal if I were on the other side of the negotiation.
I suppose that depends on what you have to negotiate with, and what is being negotiated.... the original meeting was NOT about Greenland, it was obviously about something else (trade?)

I could guess that if the Danes are going to claim that Greenland is off the table, then they might now be in a position to "sweeten the deal" with something else (favorable terms, more guarantees, etc.).

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
If Trump were to say he had little to nothing to do with authoring that book, he wouldn't be lying. Tony Schwartz, the journalist who has made frequent claims he wrote all of the book himself said:

"Given the Times report on Trump’s staggering losses, I’d be fine if Random House simply took the book out of print. Or recategorized it as fiction. If I had to rename ‘The Art of the Deal’ I would call it ‘The Sociopath'. He has no conscience. He has no guilt. He does not experience the world in the way an ordinary human being would. I put lipstick on a pig."

Trump's childish response:

“He didn’t write the book. I wrote the book. I wrote the book. It was my book. And it was a No. 1 bestseller, and one of the bestselling business books of all time. Some say it was the bestselling business book ever.”

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
If Trump were to say he had little to nothing to do with authoring that book, he wouldn't be lying. Tony Schwartz, the journalist who has made frequent claims he wrote all of the book himself said:

"Given the Times report on Trump’s staggering losses, I’d be fine if Random House simply took the book out of print. Or recategorized it as fiction. If I had to rename ‘The Art of the Deal’ I would call it ‘The Sociopath'. He has no conscience. He has no guilt. He does not experience the world in the way an ordinary human being would. I put lipstick on a pig."

Trump's childish response:

“He didn’t write the book. I wrote the book. I wrote the book. It was my book. And it was a No. 1 bestseller, and one of the bestselling business books of all time. Some say it was the bestselling business book ever.”
actually, I find Schwartz's comment to be childish. He sounds like Stormy Daniels whining that they didn't get their just due out of the effort.

Schwartz did NOT say that Trump did not write the book, he simply says that Trump is crass and that he had to tone it down some (lipstick on a pig).

both could be true. I think Stormy claimed she did all the work too.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
actually, I find Schwartz's comment to be childish. He sounds like Stormy Daniels whining that they didn't get their just due out of the effort.

Schwartz did NOT say that Trump did not write the book, he simply says that Trump is crass and that he had to tone it down some (lipstick on a pig).

both could be true. I think Stormy claimed she did all the work too.
But in wiki, Schwartz called writing the book his "greatest regret in life, without question," and both he and the book's publisher, Howard Kaminsky, said that Trump had played no role in the actual writing of the book. So why would Schwartz need to add, "Trump did not write the book"?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
But in wiki, Schwartz called writing the book his "greatest regret in life, without question," and both he and the book's publisher, Howard Kaminsky, said that Trump had played no role in the actual writing of the book. So why would Schwartz need to add, "Trump did not write the book"?
oh please, then why is Trumps name on the book? These two who wrote the book just decided to use Trump's name without his permission?

Come on man.

Most busy people use "ghost writers" - they interview the person, and get information and direction from the person, and then, yes, they actually "write" the text.

dude... put down the bong.